What's new

Lots of pain and pulling.HELP!

Need some advice from the pros here! I’m currently a weekend DE shaver, but this weekend I didn’t shave till around Sunday afternoon and when I did I had some serious pulling and pain on parts of my face (chin and mustache area). Normally I shave every weekday with an electric still…I know I know blasphemy. I did my normal hot shower followed by lathering with some CE lime. I let the lather sit and hydrate the hair for about five minutes while I put a new Astra SP blade into a Merkur 25C, so I don’t think proper prep was an issue. As I was getting pulling I would stop and check my angle and adjust so I don’t think it was technique. I also tried shorter almost buffing strokes which helped a little but were still painful. From my limited knowledge and experience I think it was either blade or razor or both. I think the 25c is just too mild a razor for me. I guess I could try it again another time with a feather, but I don’t really care for them since they seem to dull very quickly and I seem to have to do more touch ups after a 3 pass when using a feather over other brands.

I too much of a noob to offer much, but i use a preshave balm as well. Short strokes and following the wetshave guides to a T. Have you mapped your beard?
I really like the shaves Im getting from my Merkur 34c HD and Astra Platinums...with a good lather it just glides across my face..

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, how long were your whiskers when shaving? If too long this could be the sole cause of pulling. Try to trimmer your face before wet shaving if you only shave once a week.

My thoughts exactly, Marco. Multiple days' growth can sometimes lead to pulling and tugging. Other than that, I would say it might be a blade angle problem.

Usually, if there's more than 2-3 minute between lather application & when I start shaving, I'll hit my face with the brush to "liven up" the lather. It could be that your lather had started to break down after sitting for 5 minutes on your face... I find that lather breaks down faster on my face than in my bowl/brush.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions and here's some clarification. The growth was only a 2 1/2 half day growth not a week. I also did "liven up" :001_smile the lather a bit before I put the razor to my face and I have mapped my face and I was doing a first wtg grain pass. Usually I have a problem with my neck area, but have my face down pretty good. Could the problem be that because I use an electric most of the time that my hair/skin isn't used to being cut with a razor and if I used a DE 100% of the time I wouldn't have this problem?

I'll sometimes go 3 days without shaving and what works for me is putting hair conditioner on my face in the shower. I apply it like I would to the hair on top and just rub it in. Rinse it off right before you leave the shower and it will make our wiskers very soft and help reduce pain, irritation and pulling.

I'll sometimes go 3 days without shaving and what works for me is putting hair conditioner on my face in the shower. I apply it like I would to the hair on top and just rub it in. Rinse it off right before you leave the shower and it will make our wiskers very soft and help reduce pain, irritation and pulling.
Nice suggestion...I'll have to give that a try next time it's been a few days.

...Could the problem be that because I use an electric most of the time that my hair/skin isn't used to being cut with a razor and if I used a DE 100% of the time I wouldn't have this problem?

That's certainly possible, but it also might just be a bad blade. Despite modern quality control, an occasional bad blade makes it out to the consumer. Blades being cheap, I'd suggest trashing the offending blade and trying again with a new one. Keep us informed of your progress, and good luck on your next DE shave.

I have a very thick coarse beard and equate my facial hair to copper wire. When i have this issue it is 99% of the time a bad blade. I have been wetshaving now for about 2 years so I have my prep down good but i am sure if you try a new blade or try a different/sharper blade your issue will go away. My suggestion is to throw a PolSilver in a Merkur 37c. No more pulling EVER :thumbup1:

Sir, how long were your whiskers when shaving? If too long this could be the sole cause of pulling. Try to trimmer your face before wet shaving if you only shave once a week.

My thoughts exactly, Marco. Multiple days' growth can sometimes lead to pulling and tugging. Other than that, I would say it might be a blade angle problem.

Why do you guys think this is the experience on super sharp DE blades? Not to go off topic, but I don't see this with feather pros or straights..

Could have been a bad blade as suggested? Try the same set up with a new blade to see if it happens again. However, i would suggest trying to shave, every day! Good luck.

+1 For the bad blade. It hasn't happened to me very often, but I have had a bad Astra (my blade of choice) before, and it was like trying to shave with a sharpened oyster shell. One other suggestion would be to check your blade angle, too steep of an angle could also contribute to tugging.

Could be your lather is drying out, or Astra blades aren't for you, or one or more of any other reasons. How long have you been shaving with a DE razor?

In my experience, open comb razors take down several days of beard growth with no problems at all.

Could be your lather is drying out, or Astra blades aren't for you, or one or more of any other reasons. How long have you been shaving with a DE razor?

In my experience, open comb razors take down several days of beard growth with no problems at all.
Hey mark thanks for the input. I've been DE shaving since January so I'm definitely pretty new, but at this time very aware of blade angle. When I hit this area I stopped and checked my angle and tried adjusting slightly up and down with no improvement. I also refreshed the lather on my face right before putting the blade to it and when it started pulling I refreshed again in this area. It's definitely possible that astra blades are not for me, or astra blades and this razor are not a good match. I've read that open combs are better for longer growth, but this time was not a good experience. I have used this razor with a normal days growth and didn't have any issues. I'll have to give it a try again with a different blade (not astra) and see what happens, along with some of the other suggestions.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Why do you guys think this is the experience on super sharp DE blades? Not to go off topic, but I don't see this with feather pros or straights..

For me longer whiskers will clog in the razor leading to pulling (yes even with a feather). A straight is wonderful for taking off a beard.

I'm not convinced on the prep and don't know the product being used. I'd lather up and then hold a hot wet wash cloth over my face for a minute or so then lather up again and start shaving. Slooooooow strokes should be avoided . . . you need a reasonable speed. Blade angle . . . if you can see the comb marks on your face you need to use a lower angle.

Top Bottom