What's new

Lost my mom today.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sympathies and condolences for your terrible loss. The suddenness May in time seem like a blessing but not until the shock wears off of course. Sounds like you were able to speak to her albeit about mundane things. Cherish the memories.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost both my parents some years back and think of them often. I still miss them, but I try and live a life that shows they taught me a thing or two about being a gentleman. We stand on the shoulders of our parents and grandparents, and in a way they live forever through the following generations.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I thank you all heartily and sincerely. The shock is over, now the work begins. Unfortunately my brother is 5 and a half hours away and the roads between he and I are closed due to weather so, he can't get here from there until probably Thursday at the earliest. I'm not sure he could do much anyway other than sit here and stare at me which won't be helpful for either of us. It's all academic now. Paperwork and unloading all the stuff from her apartment is what's left and it will be a chore. My mom was a bit of a hoarder. I guess growing up poor and hungry does that to people.

@Rhody I am very grateful that both my parents died suddenly of natural causes. That may sound horrible but, I have seen what old age can look like, Alzheimer's. strokes, dementia. I did not experience the horror of watching them deteriorate slowly and inexorably, for months or years as some have . That has got to be worse. No traumatic car wrecks or fires, the alternatives could have been far worse.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I thank you all heartily and sincerely. The shock is over, now the work begins. Unfortunately my brother is 5 and a half hours away and the roads between he and I are closed due to weather so, he can't get here from there until probably Thursday at the earliest. I'm not sure he could do much anyway other than sit here and stare at me which won't be helpful for either of us. It's all academic now. Paperwork and unloading all the stuff from her apartment is what's left and it will be a chore. My mom was a bit of a hoarder. I guess growing up poor and hungry does that to people.
I have nothing to add to your post. I did want to indicate agreement with your position and assessment, but I just didn't feel that a "like" was appropriate.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. There's no such thing as an easy loss of an elderly parent. I lost both my parents just short of six years ago. We were expecting my dad to pass, but my mom died very suddenly seventeen days after my dad's death.

One thing I learned...there's no wrong way to grieve...and emotion comes upon you when you least expect it.

I am greatly blessed...my parents were loving and caring people who put their kids first...and growing up in their home...I knew it and experienced it first hand...thanks be to God.

Praying for your strength and peace during this difficult time. Peace be to you. God Bless You.

ylekot

I'm very sorry to hear this. I lost my mother ten days ago. It was tough, even though I knew it was coming. To have it happen suddenly must be even more so. My sympathies are with you.
I'm sorry you also are going through this at this time of year. We shall carry on!

Reactions: RSC

ylekot

I have nothing to add to your post. I did want to indicate agreement with your position and assessment, but I just didn't feel that a "like" was appropriate.
I understand, the awkwardness of the whole situation is amazing to me. We all go through the deaths of loved ones, and, someday, we will be that loved one. It remains a weird and unpleasant experience to deal with.

ylekot

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my grandfather on Christmas Eve a few years back, and my father right after Father's Day before that. It makes those events hard, but I try to bring their spirit to the those times and honor their memory.
I used the "love" emoji because I really like your sentiment on honoring their spirit. My condolences on their passing. Just wanted to clear that up.

ylekot

I truly love this corner of the internet. The folks here are a truly special bunch and I thank you all for your support.

My sincere condolences. I was talking with a hospice nurse about why my family seems to pass around holidays. She said that loved ones "choose" a time when family is near. I do know, having lost my parents for several years, it gets easier to deal with it. Hang in there and celebrate a wonderful life.

ylekot

My sincere condolences. I was talking with a hospice nurse about why my family seems to pass around holidays. She said that loved ones "choose" a time when family is near. I do know, having lost my parents for several years, it gets easier to deal with it. Hang in there and celebrate a wonderful life.
In my years of EMS/Fire and dispatching 30+ years, I can tell you the holidays are the most fatal time of year. As for why, that I cannot answer. My sympathy for your loss as well. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Top Bottom