What's new

Lost in Translation

I was reading the directions on my French shaving soap, and got a kick out of some of the mistakes in translation:

"Lather up the soap by means of a moistened badger."

wet-badger-2.jpg

"After obtaining compact foam, apply it to the area to be shaved."

cfoam.jpg

"Renew the operation in case of second passage."

oper.jpg

Does anyone have some examples of humorous or silly mistakes in translation? It might make for a fun thread.

🃏 :biggrin1:

Years ago the warnings that came on a Tahtasu outboard motor.

"Insufficient fuel oil cause big accident offshore"

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Years ago one of my coworkers in a restaurant spent mornings doing light janitorial duties in the establishment to earn some extra income. One morning before service began the owner asked "Ruben, did you remember top off the mouthwash?". (Being a somewhat upscale restaurant there was always mouthwash and disposable cups available in the restrooms) Ruben looked puzzled and responded "Huh?". Again the question was asked, did you remember the mouthwash? Ruben's response will live with me forever... "Mouse Wash?!? Why the hell do you want me to wash the mouses?".

this is the brand belt I purchased about a year ago. the sign was very prophetic as the belt was mediocre at best.
67343947_10219567404875610_3086916682103390208_o.jpg

proxy.php

Based on what I found on the internet the original text actually says:

施工中 ("under construction")

不准使用 ("use not permitted")

Thought to be fair, the translation has the same effect in keeping people out I'd argue.

A statue of James Suydam at the Gardner Sage Library at the New Brunswick Theological Seminary has this inscription on the pedestal:

James B. Suydam
Erected by his friends

I always wondered what kind of friends he had.

1622688342247.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Years ago my wife purchased a keyboard protector for her computer. Among the various translation errors the one I always remember was
“Protects from cigarette ash and biscuit flings”

The plastic bags at the store I used to work at had this written at the bottom: “Keep away from children made in Korea.” Perhaps punctuation or a new line would have helped.

Top Bottom