What's new

Looknig for a WWII GI Razor

Hi Guys!
I'm a WWII buff and am looking to get a SE/DE GI razor to shave with. I've seen some "auto strops" and GEM razors floating around in ebay. I've got a few questions:

Can you still get blades for those?
Do the standard bakelite Gillette razors use common blades available today?

Thanks!

Tim

You can get blades for SE and DE razors.

Not positive on the Valet Autostrops but I think it depends on the age. IIRC some have the name "VALET" molded in the blade tray so that you had to use their blades, but I think some of the later ones didn't. I think if you can find the ones without the "Valet" in the blade tray there is a way to use SE blades with some modifications.

One of our Gurus will be along shortly with that process.

Jay

Blades that work in the Gem razors are available at Walgreens, Rite Aid and CVS drugstores and also online from several sources. Their are two types of Valet Auto Strop razors, one will only use Feather brand blades or the original blades that need to be sharpened because they have cutouts that match up with tabs on the blade holder. The other type of VAS will use either the Feathers or a regular single edge blade with the spine removed because the blade just slides into the holder.

And yes, any Gillette razor will use modern DE blades.
Hi Guys!
I'm a WWII buff and am looking to get a SE/DE GI razor to shave with. I've seen some "auto strops" and GEM razors floating around in ebay. I've got a few questions:

Can you still get blades for those?
Do the standard bakelite Gillette razors use common blades available today?

Thanks!

Tim

Thanks guys!
This was the autostrop I was looking at:

$autostrop2.jpg
$autostrop1.jpg

$autostrop3.jpg

That is a either a VB1 or VB2, depending on the wording on the blade holder and were made from 1916 to around 1921 so it would have been issued during WW1, not WW2.

Yeah I figured, but it's awfully steampunk looking and I might have to grab it anyway. Does it use common blades do you think?

I have posted in the WTB forum for WWII razors.

Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom