What's new

Looking to Fill up a Box

Legion

Staff member
Your best bet in Australia is to slowly build a set of seven 5/8 or 6/8 Bengalls (provided they fit the box).

They are good, and will be the easiest for you to track down matching examples.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I know nothing about SR‘s but I stumbled over the German Revisor site when looking for DE‘s.

Would their 5/8 be usable? It is about EUR 60.00 without tax.

View attachment 1380604
Revisor make a fine SR, close to the standard of Ralf Aust. I'm not sure if their 5-0002 model shown (AUD 98 + shipping) will be thin enough. You would have to ask them the dimensions and they can be very slow in replying, if they do.

I just checked my online tracking to see where the razor-box is at.

Wouldn't you know it, the postal bastards lost it, and I have no idea where the hell it is now.

I have lodged a complaint.

Your best bet in Australia is to slowly build a set of seven 5/8 or 6/8 Bengalls (provided they fit the box).

They are good, and will be the easiest for you to track down matching examples.
That was my thought too, until 10 minutes ago... Australia Post is a bloody joke...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The standard ⅝ Bengall SR's have a maximum scales thickness of about 10.5mm while the ¾ Bengall SR's are up to about 12.2mm. May be a bit thick for this box.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

Wouldn't you know it, the postal bastards lost it, and I have no idea where the hell it is now.

If it was Philippines Post it would be easy to find. It would be listed for sale on their local auction site 😊. Filipinos are very efficient like that.

A.P. is famous for making parcels disappear. It's full of more mysteries than the Bermuda Triangle and the Pentagon combined.

Well that sucks.
Hopefully they find it.

I have a few sets also, all vintage some legit days and some matching. If its not a razor you truly enjoy its not an enjoyable set imho.

you are looking at Dovo, typically Best Quality models as the cheapest non-chinese for current production. good luck! keep us all posted!

or

Ralf Aust 6/8" Round Point, Black Synthetic Handle, Professionally Honed Straight Razor $150 a pop at maggards - thats over $1K

DOVO suck. At least thatś my experience.I've had better shaves with well honed chinese razors.

One of my brandnewDovo's and a vintage Solingen razor.
Same size.The vintage blade outperformes the Dovo with miles. I truly believe the art of razor making has been lost.

1640086881285 (1).jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
DOVO suck. At least thatś my experience.I've had better shaves with well honed chinese razors.
Not all Dovos suck, just the entry level ones like the "Best Quality". The Dovo Bismarck and similar models are actually pretty nice. Entry level ones are what would be other company's QC rejects. All three out of the three I have owned were lemons, twisty and warpy and a lot of extra work to hone.

lol. i guess.. i have a Bergischer Lowe that seems to be pretty nice.. but Dovo's typical current offering don't appeal to me at all.. but if you want to fill a box with modern blades, there isn't much choice..

Looks like this project is dead in the water, because once again, the box has gone missing.

It was supposed to be delivered on the 20th of December, so it's like three weeks late, and the tracking isn't working...again.

Damn Australia Post!!

Looking for advice here.

Recently purchased an EMPTY seven-day straight razor box. I was thinking of filling it up with seven MODERN straight razors.

The razors have to be:

Slim.
Relatively cheap.
Good quality.

Which models or brands should I consider?

Many thanks.
Nice find. I would suggest filling it up with antique store vintage razors that have been restored. Many of the newer SRs are big and chunky. That looks like an older case so vintage razors would probably be a good fit. Any they would probably be closer to your desired price point.

Top Bottom