What's new

Looking to Fill up a Box

Looking for advice here.

Recently purchased an EMPTY seven-day straight razor box. I was thinking of filling it up with seven MODERN straight razors.

The razors have to be:

Slim.
Relatively cheap.
Good quality.

Which models or brands should I consider?

Many thanks.

By modern do you mean currently in production?

And are you looking for them to be a matched set (same manufacturer and model) or mixed?

Yes, currently in production (or failing that, vintage makes which are plentiful and easy to find).

And yes, I wanted them to be a matched set. That's why I wanted to go modern, if possible.

By "relatively cheap" I mean like, under $50 each, or at least under $100. I'm not paying $200, $300, $400 per-razor. Hell no.

That price range is going to limit your options. Gold Dollars, well, you might end up buying 15 or 20 to get 7 that can be made to hone and shave. And the scales are not slim. Titans, @rbscebu can talk more about, but they also have clunky scales.

Entry-level Dovos, Austs, Bökers, and Le Grelots are going to be more than $100.

With vintage razors, if a guy was patient and discriminating, he might be able to accumulate a set of Henckels Friodur 72s off the auction site. Or a set of Gencos, although they wouldn't necessarily *match.* I probably could have bought at least 5 Engström framebacks in the last 2 months if I wanted, usually in the $30-50 range. Condition varies of course.

I think Griffith Shaving Goods still has a bunch of Wapienicas that are NOS, if you want 7 Polish razors with stainless steel scales.

I mean I'd love to do something like DOVO or BOKER or something like that, but their prices...eeeeh.

Someone else recommended Gold Dollars, but everything I've read about them sounds REALLY suspect...

And yes, I wanted them to be a matched set. That's why I wanted to go modern, if possible.

By "relatively cheap" I mean like, under $50 each, or at least under $100. I'm not paying $200, $300, $400 per-razor. Hell no.

you are looking at Dovo, typically Best Quality models as the cheapest non-chinese for current production. good luck! keep us all posted!

or

Ralf Aust 6/8" Round Point, Black Synthetic Handle, Professionally Honed Straight Razor $150 a pop at maggards - thats over $1K

Shangas, I have been down that path. I made a 5 day set (I was shaving 5 days a week at that time) with modern razors for $30 each. The set brings me no joy even though it performs very well.

I think the allure of the 7 day set was its sheer luxury. A set of $30 razors with cheap plastic scales just doesn't do it for me. I was going to have the spines laser etched with the days of the week, but that would just be putting lipstick on a pig. I ended up with a set that looks ok (I made the box) and performs OK (I honed them all) and is overall OK. But really a 7 day set should be wow!

The allure of the old sets was the materials and presentation. Unless you are putting some nice razors in the box, you'll end up with meh.

You can probably find a serviceable but unremarkable vintage 7 day set in that price range. Actually, I know of an ad for a somewhat remarkable set of mustache razors if by slim you mean nearing 4/8 or so and a bit shorter.

Maybe put up a WTB for that. Or maybe put a reasonable price on a common model you like, stipulating that you can only buy them if you can find 7. I'm sure you can find two or three people with eg. multiple King Cutters in usable shape.

I had thought about buying an ACTUAL seven day set, but the prices that people ask for them are ASTRONOMICAL. I just couldn't justify it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Shangas, you are on the way to becoming a true gentleman of (at least modest) means. Besides cost per SR, another limiting factor will be the size of the spaces available in your box. Would you please post a pic of your box with the lid open. I will then be able to ask you relevant questions.

Another factor to consider is the cost of engraving the spines (if you require that). This can be rather expensive to have done in Australia. You could have it done to a very high standard overseas for under AUD 300 including shipping.

Last edited:
Vintage 7 day sets often go for a lower per razor price than what comparable razors would go for individually. Make of that what you will.

Thiers Issard offers very nice engraved 7 day sets but you have to email them for pricing. I suspect it's more than you're willing to pay.

If you want a new razor that was made by someone who gave a damn (and I'm not sure I'd even put a Dovo Best in that category) you're going to be paying north of $100 US. Probably closer to $150. Vintage is a totally different story, but patience, discrimination, and luck play a role there.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here are some of the sets that I have put together.
IMG_20210909_095217.jpg
Engraved in Latin

IMG_20210107_094938.jpg
Engraved in Chinese

IMG_20201114_120141.jpg
Engraved in Japanese

IMG_20210804_142632.jpg
Engraved in English
I am currently putting together a M7DS of vintage T.R. Cadman and Sons "Bengall" SR's. Just one more to go. Even common vintage can take quite a while to assemble, like a year or much more.

@Shangas, you are on the way to becoming a true gentleman of (at least modest) means. Besides cost per SR, another limiting factor will be the size of the spaces available in your box. Would you please post a pic of your box with the lid open. I will then be able to ask you relevant questions.

Another factor to consider is the cost of engraving the spines (if you require that). This can be rather expensive to have done in Australia. You could have it done to a very high standard overseas for under AUD 300 including shipping.

The box is an old JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS straight razor box.

My initial plan was to buy seven identical JR&S straight razors and put them in, but then I thought that might be impossible.

So my next idea was to buy seven matching vintage/antique razors (regardless of make) and put those in, instead - for example, BENGALL, or something.

Or seven modern razors.

The challenge is finding seven identical razors that don't bust the bank.

Buying an actual seven-day set is PROHIBITIVELY expensive and it just scares me to think about it. The prices I've seen are giving me heart-palpitations.

I'm used to searching for years and being patient when it comes to restorations and stuff...

I mean if the opportunity came up to just buy the razors, or buy another set, I would do so, but they're so damn hard to find.

Here are some of the sets that I have put together.
View attachment 1380537
Engraved in Latin

View attachment 1380540
Engraved in Chinese

View attachment 1380541
Engraved in Japanese

View attachment 1380545
Engraved in English
I am currently putting together a M7DS of vintage T.R. Cadman and Sons "Bengall" SR's. Just one more to go. Even common vintage can take quite a while to assemble, like a year or much more.

I had thought of buying TITAN razors like you did, but then I realised that they'd be far too chunky to fit into the box, so I crossed that option out.

Vintage 7 day sets often go for a lower per razor price than what comparable razors would go for individually. Make of that what you will.

Thiers Issard offers very nice engraved 7 day sets but you have to email them for pricing. I suspect it's more than you're willing to pay.

If you want a new razor that was made by someone who gave a damn (and I'm not sure I'd even put a Dovo Best in that category) you're going to be paying north of $100 US. Probably closer to $150. Vintage is a totally different story, but patience, discrimination, and luck play a role there.

I'm aware of all that, which is why I'm still balancing up my options.

One idea I had was to buy just...bucketloads of old razors, assemble seven identicals from that, and then just sell off the rest. I know how to sharpen my own razors, so that's not an issue.

The thing was that every single 7DS I saw was either MONSTROUSLY expensive, or damaged.

On the other hand - I saw more than a few empty seven-day boxes floating around the internet. So I got the idea of just buying the box (which is dirt cheap, relatively speaking) and then just fill up the box. The question is what's the best way to do it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I had my timber cases custom made to match the SR's. Each box cost less than AUD 100. Express shipping to AU would be about AUD 50.

I'm aware of all that, which is why I'm still balancing up my options.

One idea I had was to buy just...bucketloads of old razors, assemble seven identicals from that, and then just sell off the rest. I know how to sharpen my own razors, so that's not an issue.

The thing was that every single 7DS I saw was either MONSTROUSLY expensive, or damaged.

On the other hand - I saw more than a few empty seven-day boxes floating around the internet. So I got the idea of just buying the box (which is dirt cheap, relatively speaking) and then just fill up the box. The question is what's the best way to do it.
There's a buy it now on the big auction site from the UK for 450 Pounds. Nice razors, too. That's under a hundred bucks US per razor.

Top Bottom