What's new

Looking for some good lightly scented aftershaves

I have been quite impressed with Nivea Energy AS splash; very little scent that dissipates quickly and it feels good. No menthol in it, so I add my own. Cheap too, under $6 a bottle.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the replies, everyone! In the end I decided to go with Speick AS and Nivea's sensitive balm, just in case. So far I haven't found a balm to be necessary, but that might change once summer is over. As for witch hazel, I've looked into that a bit, but is it even necessary if I already have an alum block? They're both toners, and fulfill all the same functions as far as I'm aware. Except the alum burns more? I seem to remember reading that. But in any case, I actually enjoy the alum block and the burning/tingling it provides, so unless witch hazel provides some additional benefits, I'll stick with what I already have. Though for that matter, doesn't the Speick AS already have both alum and witch hazel anyway? So is there a point in using both the block and the Speick at the same time?

Heh. That would make the most sense, true... But Ralph Lauren products are all really expensive, and I can't justify spending that much money on an aftershave. The only reason I even have the cologne is because it was a gift. And also I have the feeling that if I have a similarly scented cologne and aftershave, it would cause the smell to be overpowering.

A vote for Aqua Velva - it fades pretty quickly.

DR Harris Pink also fades very quickly. It is much lower in alcohol than most alcohol based splashes so very little sting. The rose smells great but is gone in minutes. You get a bit of glycerine for moisturizing. It is a bit spendy for what you are getting.

Someone recommended Musgo real. I'm not sure about the balm but for me the splash smells pretty strong and lingers for several hours so that one might interact with whatever cologne you choose to wear with it.

Happy hunting.

I have been quite impressed with Nivea Energy AS splash; very little scent that dissipates quickly and it feels good. No menthol in it, so I add my own. Cheap too, under $6 a bottle.

+1 on the Nivea Energy Splash :thumbup:
The scent dries down to a faint soapy "Nivea" scent.Kinda like a get out of the shower scent.
The newly formulated Proraso Splash is great too.Dries down to clean scent and feels good after a shave .
You can also try Adidas Dynamic Pulse AS Splash(also available at Wal-Mart for under $5).Has a lingering lasting scent,but not one they will smell 2 hours after you leave the building and contains skin goodies like allantoin,vitamin e and glycerin.Aqua Velva Ice Sport is a great one too.Has a light Cool Water scent.

After using Speick for the past two days, I think it is definitely the answer to this question.

nrv216

I like the witch hazel suggestion. Personally I use the Rose scented one. A great bargain at $7 a bottle. Another suggestion would be to use an Alum Bloc. Those things last forever and have no scent. Has anybody actually completely used one? It's like the everlasting gobstopper of shaving.

I would check out Garry's sample shop (a B&B vendor) and get a bunch of sample splashes that have been mentioned. They are cheap and you actually get quite a bit. I believe he is on vacation right now but when I was doing my AS research, his samples helped me figure out what I liked.

+1 for Speick and Nivea Energy. Both smell great, have skin goodies and fade quickly. The fading part is not a plus in my book tho. I wish Speick would last much longer as the scent is very clean and refreshing, especially for summer days.

Top Bottom