What's new

Looking for a razor with thin/low profile head similar to my first cheap razor (pictures)

Hi fellas, so I started DE shaving a couple of years ago with a cheap 3 piece Jagen David razor (pictures below) bought from ebay UK (has now been replaced by thicker expensive butterfly models). The Jagen is good for WTG, I then switch to the Muhle R89 for XTG/ATG as it outperforms the Jagen in those departments.

When using the R89 WTG I can't get it as nearly as close as the Jagen especially on the upper mustache area and just below the bottom lip. It's probably bad technique but I can't get it right, the angle needed with the Jagen is almost flat unlike the R89 which is higher and awkward for me, no such problems XTG/ATG where I can get the right angles without issues. The Jagen is also good for lining/shaping the side and bottom of my sideburns, there's a gap to see through unlike with the R89 which blocks visibility.

Basically I'm getting bored of having to switch razors/blade during every shave, I've also tried the massive head Merkur Futur which gave me the same problems as the R89. I've had a look through a couple of old threads regarding thin/low profile heads but nothing really stood out, it seems to be hard to find a good old razor which I've seen recommended, are there any new razors which might be good for me? Thanks in advance.

proxy.php

proxy.php

4BE5C525-F8A4-47D3-AC91-20920298D70C.jpeg
I don’t know about any new razors that may meet your needs, but I recommend you find a thin cap Gillette Old Type razor, either a ball end or a single ring made prior to 1920.

Last edited:
RR Lupo has a very thin profile like your British Tech clone (same as the Baili). But being mild it takes good technique to get the best out of it (as does any Tech design like your clone or a vintage Gillette)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP is using a Tech clone. My Techs shave no better than my two Chinese clones. In fact I prefer the Baili 171 if I had to choose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

When using the R89 WTG I can't get it as nearly as close as the Jagen especially on the upper mustache area and just below the bottom lip. The Jagen is also good for lining/shaping the side and bottom of my sideburns, there's a gap to see through unlike with the R89 which blocks visibility.
this is what made me fall in love with the razorock SLOC. it's super-smooth from the nose on down. it's so easy to do right above my top lip and below my lower lip now. i don't even have to be careful. also, i love the grip on the barberpole handle so much, i put one on my timeless. i have very soft skin and i have to shave daily most of the time. the timeless is great for a couple of days growth, but it can bite me if there isn't much to mow down. the SLOC is incredibly easy to maneuver b/c of the low profile head and loves a feather or a GSB to cut down those short hairs without cutting or irritating my soft skin.

Any Tech, Muhle Rocca, Feather AS-D2, Merkur 1904, or Gillette New or Old (watch out for those blade tabs around your nose though).

+1 re any Tech. I prefer the prewar razors with triangular slots, but the difference isn't life-changing. I tried a New Type. The head is thin enough, but the shave is much more aggressive.

On the high end, the Above the Tie Classic razors also have thin heads and are excellent shavers.

Don’t forget the razorock mamba if you want something high quality that should last a long time and won’t break the bank. I liked the Mamba 70 and you likely would to if you use that Baili to start with. The Baili was too much for me , but mama was just right.

The Gillette Goodwill No. 162 or 164 would be worth a spin. The 162 has a similar cap/guard interface, a low-profile cap and the guard does not get in the way.

I’ll second either a Tech, preferably pre-war or an Old Type. Both vintage and low profile heads and excellent shavers. If you prefer new, try a Razorock Old Type. It’s much more mild than the vintage Gillette.

Thanks for the replies, I went with the merkur 1904 closed comb for £18 (eBay had a £5 off voucher), hope I've made a good choice. Was interested in the razorocks but the only seller I could find was in the US.

Top Bottom