What's new

Looking for a method for brewing a single cup of tea

If I'm making one, or two cups, I heat the water in a pot, toss in the leaves, then use a small strainer with a handle while I pour the tea into the cup/s.
Someone said he uses a coffee press. I think thats a great idea. Thinking outside the old box. However you arrive at your cup of tea, enjoy!

If I'm making one, or two cups, I heat the water in a pot, toss in the leaves, then use a small strainer with a handle while I pour the tea into the cup/s.
Someone said he uses a coffee press. I think thats a great idea. Thinking outside the old box. However you arrive at your cup of tea, enjoy!

I mentioned that I use a coffee press. Never would of thought of using one until I started making French press coffee. The package the press came in noted it could be used for coffee and tea. So I when to a local tea store run by a Chinese kid who sells lose tea etc. Told me the press works fine with tea. Bought a pound of lose tea for the first time and never looked back. By the way, what a difference between teabags and lose tea!

Speaking of brewing tea, I read an essay by the author George Orwell on the proper way to brew and drink tea. Look it up folks it's a good read.

David

I'd be tempted to put the tea in a french press ontop of the screen so you can pull it out to stop brewing rather than push it down...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'd be tempted to put the tea in a french press ontop of the screen so you can pull it out to stop brewing rather than push it down...

Now that's what I call non-linear thinking.

(Of course, you have to consider what to do with the glob of wet leaves flying around the kitchen when you pull the plunger up.)

I mentioned that I use a coffee press. Never would of thought of using one until I started making French press coffee. The package the press came in noted it could be used for coffee and tea. So I when to a local tea store run by a Chinese kid who sells lose tea etc. Told me the press works fine with tea. Bought a pound of lose tea for the first time and never looked back. By the way, what a difference between teabags and lose tea!

Speaking of brewing tea, I read an essay by the author George Orwell on the proper way to brew and drink tea. Look it up folks it's a good read.

David

http://www.wondersoftea.com/2008/08/george-orwell-a-nice-cup-of-tea.html

You're new, so put it this way-

If you said that to Mrs. Ouch, there are a thousand members who can tell you what her response would be. :lol:

Seasoning it is really nothing- just keep using it. Boiling it out prior to first use is a very good idea to rid it of any nastiness it may have picked up along the way.

私は彼が眠る間、彼を殺す

...followed by...

彼の死は遅く、苦痛である

:lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Very good, Cory. But if you were paying attention you'd know the punch line of the recurring joke is 私はエビにアレルギーである

:001_rolle

But why are you spending fourteen a pound when you could roast your own?!?!

Hmmmmm.

1. I like the coffee I get at our local Peet's. It's convenient. It's predictable. And, for me and SWMBO, it's good enough.
  2. I'm pretty sure that I don't want the chronic aroma/scent/smell of roasted coffee in our condo. And lack of venting / adequate ventilation is an issue.
  3. One more kitchen gadget might well be the straw that breaks SWMBO's back. Nor do I particularly want something else to clean.
  4. Roasting is the thin edge of the wedge -- the enabling drug. Then I'll need a decent grinder. And then I'll want a good espresso machine. And I'll need somewhere to put them.
  5. I'm not sufficiently fond of coffee to go to great lengths for the ultimate cup. Seems like a headache to me. To quote Pournelle, 'Better is the enemy of good enough.'.

Ummmm ... well ... that's a start.

I like the coffee I get at our local Peet's. It's convenient. It's predictable. And, for me and SWMBO, it's good enough.

That's a disorder easily cured by good coffee. *grinn*

I'm pretty sure that I don't want the chronic aroma/scent/smell of roasted coffee in our condo. And lack of venting / adequate ventilation is an issue.

No worries . . . it's an outdoor sport.

One more kitchen gadget might well be the straw that breaks SWMBO's back.

Even if it only cost eleven dollars[/quote]?

You don't have to clean it. Warm-up burns off anything that could cause off flavours.

Roasting is the thin edge of the wedge -- the enabling drug. Then I'll need a decent grinder. And then I'll want a good espresso machine. And I'll need somewhere to put them.

Shhhhh! I'm not supposed to let you know that!

And actually, for me, the "thin end of the wedge" was the presspot. Then came good coffee, then a good grinder, then espresso, and finally, roasting.

Very good, Cory. But if you were paying attention you'd know the punch line of the recurring joke is 私はエビにアレルギーである

:001_rolle

it's all greek to me. he he

I hate those little tea ball things, they always leak out tons of little bits into the cup.

My method is pretty simple. Use a pyrex measuring cup, put it in the microwave to boil, dump the tea leafs into it and stir a bit, wait a few minutes, then pour it into the cup through a strainer.

Instead of a strainer or a tea ball, try one of those mesh infusers sometime. I think you'll like the simplicity of them with no need to pour the tea, simply remove the infuser.

I have one of those, but the only thing I don't like about it is that the leaves don't have room to expand, especially rolled oolongs.

Top Bottom