What's new

Looking for a Butterfly DE Razor!!!

I just purchased my second DE razor. My first was the Merkur 23c (long handle). The second a Merkur 43c and only shaved with it once so far but love it already. It's probably too soon to be thinking about buying another razor but I can't help it, I'm hooked. I want my next razor to be a butterfly style razor.

What would you recommend and why?

I want a butterfly because that was the style my grandfather used and would love to have one so that every time I use it I can be brought back to the days when I sat in the bathroom and watch in amazement as he shaved.

:biggrin1:

Slim or super adjustable. They have longer handles and are the cheapest, most easily obtained adjustables. I learned DE shaving on my father's super adjustable and loved it.

Slim, Super Adjustable or Fatboy. Since you are already hooked, you will likely be going after a fatboy at some time anyway. I can't tell a discernible difference between the three, but a friend of mine absolutely loves the fatboy I gave him and was not impressed by the slim. The length of the handle just was not what he liked. Any of the three is a good choice, and all three should give you just the shave you want. Starting out early with an adjustable will help you learn your aggression preference, and the three will usually hold their value if you decide you hate them.

Are all butterfly style razors vintage? Are any available to buy new? I don't mind buying a vintage razor but was just wondering. Also where would be a good place to pick one of these razors up?

Are all butterfly style razors vintage? Are any available to buy new? I don't mind buying a vintage razor but was just wondering. Also where would be a good place to pick one of these razors up?

There are only a handful of makers of Butterfly/ Twist to Open razors today: Weishi, Derby/ Shaving Factory/ Ming Shi (same razor, under different brand names), and Parker. Parker is made in India, and the others in China.

None of these are considered to be anywhere near the same quality as the vintage Gillette razors.

Vintage Gillette Twist to Open razors (usually called Gillette Superspeeds) are plentiful on our Buy/Sell/Trade board, and you should be able to buy one for about $20.

There are a few modern TTO but the vintage ones are far better. Superspeeds (either '40s style or Flare tip), are terrific razors. Relatively mild but more than capable of a BBS shave when you want one. Until you can post on the B/S/t (50 post minimum), your best bet is eBay. Just search for "vintage Gillette." For a SS, don't pay anything over $20 including shipping for an uncased razor in excellent condition.

Edit: Yeah. What michigan said. :biggrin1:

Until you can post on the B/S/t (50 post minimum), your best bet is eBay. Just search for "vintage Gillette." For a SS, don't pay anything over $20 including shipping for an uncased razor in excellent condition.

Anyone with any number of posts (and any length of membership) can purchase from the Buy/Sell/Trade. You need 45 days of membership, and 50 quality posts on the board in order to post a For Sale thread, or post a Want to Buy Thread.

Last edited:
You seem to be a Merkur man- why not save up for a Vision!

Just wanted to note, the Merkur Vision was deliberately left off my list of modern Twist to Open razors. It's plastic innards mean it is not designed to last long term, and it's huge size make it clown like; I absolutely wouldn't consider it a good match for a newbie. I also wouldn't recommend paying $150 for a razor that has such **** poor construction. If you are going to pay that kind of money, get an all stainless steel razor that is built to last!!

Last edited:
There are only a handful of makers of Butterfly/ Twist to Open razors today: Weishi, Derby/ Shaving Factory/ Ming Shi (same razor, under different brand names), and Parker. Parker is made in India, and the others in China.

None of these are considered to be anywhere near the same quality as the vintage Gillette razors.

Vintage Gillette Twist to Open razors (usually called Gillette Superspeeds) are plentiful on our Buy/Sell/Trade board, and you should be able to buy one for about $20.

Thanks for the information! I will check ebay and continue to work on meeting the criteria to post on the Buy/Sell/Trade board. So I vintage Gillette Razors are the way to go! :001_cool:

Thanks for the information! I will check ebay and continue to work on meeting the criteria to post on the Buy/Sell/Trade board. So I vintage Gillette Razors are the way to go! :001_cool:

You can buy from the B/S/T right now. Vintage Gillette Superspeeds are sold frequently, probably at least a half dozen are sold every week. Just start browsing the B/S/T for something you like!!

For example, here is a thread posted today, with 7 different Superspeeds for sale. I just find no reason to send you to Ebay (which can be hit or miss in terms of quality) when we can easily meet your needs here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/305525-FS-A-bunch-of-vintage-DE-razors

You can buy from the B/S/T right now. Vintage Gillette Superspeeds are sold frequently, probably at least a half dozen are sold every week. Just start browsing the B/S/T for something you like!!

For example, here is a thread posted today, with 7 different Superspeeds for sale. I just find no reason to send you to Ebay (which can be hit or miss in terms of quality) when we can easily meet your needs here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/305525-FS-A-bunch-of-vintage-DE-razors

Thanks again for the info! I have 71 post how do I know if they are quality posts or not?

Thanks again for the info! I have 71 post how do I know if they are quality posts or not?

The requirement to start a new thread in the B/ST area is 45 days of membership, and 50 quality posts (which is determined by the moderator team). You don't yet have 45 days of membership, so you wouldn't be able to start any threads in the B/S/T, but that doesn't prevent you from responding to an existing for sale thread started by someone else.

So feel free to go crazy, and buy as much as you want off of the B/S/T.

+1 on the 40's/early 50's Super Speed or flair tip Super Speed, vintage is the way to go as the modern TTO razors are insanely priced or the "affordable" TTO's I've had contact with seem awfully flimsy once you've had some vintage Gillette iron(or brass)against your face.
Be careful of the 'bay because we seem to be heading into another bout of batcrap crazy prices for dirt common razors as well as mismatched razor to case(ie:dirt common Tech in a Fatboy case asking a Fatboy price)situations.
Also check local antique shops but be careful as most dealers are good pricewise but every so often you'll run into the dealer that wants 80 bucks for a NDC Superspeed because "that's what they're getting on Ebay".

I just wanted to thank all of you for all your comments and suggestions. Thanks to the help of Michiganlover I was able to find and purchase a vintage Gillette Super Speed Y-4 with case. Can't wait to try it out. :thumbup:

http://imgur.com/a/ENpYb

Keep the comments and suggestions coming, I'm sure this isn't the last one I'll be buying. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Just wanted to note, the Merkur Vision was deliberately left off my list of modern Twist to Open razors. It's plastic innards mean it is not designed to last long term, and it's huge size make it clown like; I absolutely wouldn't consider it a good match for a newbie. I also wouldn't recommend paying $150 for a razor that has such **** poor construction. If you are going to pay that kind of money, get an all stainless steel razor that is built to last!!

As Steve Martin used to say-Well, EXCUSE Me!

Top Bottom