What's new

Long Time Soap User Wants Guidance

OK Guys, I want to try shaving cream. I want something that lathers well and provides the cushion and slickness as better soaps. Which cream should I try first?

Taylor of old bond street sandalwood should be a good start. I tried a lot of different shave creams, and scents....this is the one I go back to. I even bought taylors sampler off west coast shaving, and so far sandalwood is still my fav

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
La Toja. Excellent by any measure.
20200801_112037~2.jpg

YMMV :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've had several disappointments with creams. TOBS, Trumpers, Salter and others, all left me wanting. Only two that I have tried so far will be repurchased, one from each end of the price spectrum.

St James of London cream is excellent as far as I'm concerned. A fantastic performing lather, needing less product per shave than many others I tried. Not a cheap product, but well worth the money, and still delivering fair value. My scent of choice there is Black Pepper and Lime. At the other end of the spectrum, the humble Erasmic cream is a real bargain, performing better than many creams several times its price.

Santa Maria Novella and Art of Shaving creams are the best I've tried but are pricier and only perform slightly better than much cheaper creams like TOBS.

These are worth a try. I do like the convenience of a cream.

Speick Cream
Acqua di Parma
Castle Forbes
Santa Maria Novella

Palmolive Classic and Proraso Green have both worked well for me as far as tube creams go. In the tub, I've happily used TOBS Sandalwood and its Peppermint, and Trumper's Almond cream. I began shaving with creams, have drifted to soaps a bit (Tabac and La Toja, several Stirling offerings, Erasmic, PAA Atmotic, and TFS Sera), and am growing fond of creams yet again. Their ease of use, thick and yet slick lather, and (in some cases) lack of need for a brush, are winning points.

And there is always Barbasol!

You don't really need to spend a lot, of course you can if you really want to.

Italian Palmolive Rinfrescante in the green tube, if you like menthol

La Toja in the red tube

Speick, known for using natural botanical ingredients

LEA Classic in the silver tube

I have yet to find a shaving cream that is on par with the very best soaps out there. In my opinion, depending on the soaps you were using before, it is very likely that you are going to be taking a step backwards here.

That being said best creams I've tried are:

XPEC
Acqua di Parma
Santa Maria Novella
Art of Shaving

I've seen people pick up tubs of Art of Shaving at stores like TJMaxx or Marshall's for very cheap prices, we're talking six or eight bucks. Not sure if they buy overruns or closeouts but they appear there every now and then. Ebay is another good source for AOS stuff at a much cheaper price. Maybe try something AOS from one of these places. The other creams listed above aren't about on par with AOS in terms of performance, so if you're impressed with the AOS stuff then maybe put of the sixty bucks for one of the other high end creams.

Most comparable to a good soap for me (and mostly mentioned already): Baume.be, SJoL, Musgo Real, and Proraso Red.

I have many favorites. Original Old Spice, Tabak, ARKO, MWF, Cella, Pinaud, Any of the soaps I make using Brambleberry Melt and Pour Shaving Soap, not name a few.

Anything which comes in a tube.

Italian Barber has some excellent tube creams from Derby, Noxzema, La Toja, Speick and a few more. Wonderful creams !

If you have an Indian store close to you they might be stocked on Indian creams like Godrej, Dettol, Vi-John. Good stuff!

Anything which comes in a tube.

Italian Barber has some excellent tube creams from Derby, Noxzema, La Toja, Speick and a few more. Wonderful creams !

If you have an Indian store close to you they might be stocked on Indian creams like Godrej, Dettol, Vi-John. Good stuff!

Anything that comes in a tube? The Van Der Hagen I bought while traveling was horrible. It didn't lather at all. That's the reason for posting. I want something that lathers well with a brush.

Anything that comes in a tube? The Van Der Hagen I bought while traveling was horrible. It didn't lather at all. That's the reason for posting. I want something that lathers well with a brush.

The tubes I've encountered so far have been good. All great options in the posts up here. Try any !

Top Bottom