What's new

long time lurker newb

Greetings folks.
After lurking the straight razor department for almost a year i decided to introduce myself.
Mostly to get more knowledge for now, and who knows in the future i'll be able to help some others.
I got interested in shaving with the straight after seeing a vid where a guy made his own straight.
Yes i was making normal knives at the time. (i work in a steel mill)
Anyway i made the plunge and bought myself a dovo pakkawood red starter set with an omega boar brush.
A hanging strop, a pasted strop and some TOBS cedarwood creme
Started shaving the cheeks and started doing more and more as confidence with the blade grew.
My first shaves where ..... lets say quite irritating and left a lot to desire.
Probably due to lousy technique with shaving and stropping.
It didn't take long before i knew something was wrong. Apparently the SR never was really shave ready to begin with.
So i got myself coticule and plunged into the honing abyss as well.
As time went on and a lot of reading and testing was done i find myself having really nive shaves.
Up until the so called third pass. This thing seems to mystify me to no end.
I know it is probably my honing skill, but i feel like im getting there.
So now .... my razor has some wear and i'm eying a few others. Guess i've got something called RAD now
Anyway ..... guess i'm looking forward to get some answers and share some thoughts.

Welcome!
So now .... my razor has some wear and i'm eying a few others. Guess i've got something called RAD now. . .

Wait, how much hone wear? As in, "it isn't as pretty as it used to be" or "wow, it's a lot thinner than it it used to be. . ." Because it should be good for decades of shaves and the honing to match. I know I'm not exactly a forum veteran, and if I'm honest you have more experience than I do, but I have done a LOT of lurking and reading on the straight forums.

I think this particular brand of RAD is referred to as SRAD, and I'm certain you're in good company in these forums. :laugh:

Welcome!

Wait, how much hone wear? As in, "it isn't as pretty as it used to be" or "wow, it's a lot thinner than it it used to be. . ." Because it should be good for decades of shaves and the honing to match. I know I'm not exactly a forum veteran, and if I'm honest you have more experience than I do, but I have done a LOT of lurking and reading on the straight forums.

I think this particular brand of RAD is referred to as SRAD, and I'm certain you're in good company in these forums. :laugh:

It is somewhat thinner i guess. The bevel certainly is wider than most straights.
It's more of an excuse to get a new one haha.
how do i post pics in here?

This is what the blade looks like now. has some spots etc.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 27
It is somewhat thinner i guess. The bevel certainly is wider than most straights.
It's more of an excuse to get a new one haha.

Oh, okay. Someone else (who actually has experience with these things) might chime in but I think the bevel looks fine, except the toe. It looks like the bevel doesn't quite reach the very tip of the razor, but if it shaves fine then it is fine. Oh, and you don't need any excuses on B&B; we're here to enable you, not be the voice of reason! :thumbup:

Top Bottom