What's new

Long Story Long

I would lie say this is a mid-life crisis, but I might be too old for that....

Summary:
  1. My Dad used a safety razor when I was growing up. I remember our medicine cabinets having the slots for discarding the blades. I also remember cutting myself messing with the blades and razor as a little kid.
  2. I also remember my Grandfather using an electric razor. (That might be next.)
  3. I have used a brush and shaving soap since almost day one. (My first job at age 16 was working at a pharmacy.)
  4. I started out on cartridges and have used them for decades.
  5. I have been interested in straight razors for a while. (I do collect knives.)
  6. I discovered my Son-In-Law uses a safety razor. This was kind of the last thing that led me to try a straight razor.
  7. I ordered an inexpensive (OK cheap) Parker shavette from the bay. It was rated "high" as far as a "testing the waters" razor. It is enough to get me hooked.
  8. I am hooked! I just ordered a Dovo 100 581 Full Hollow Carbon Steel 5/8" Straight Razor. Along with a new strop (I already have one for my knives, but it is a little rough now). I will worry about if I need a new honing stone, or if I can use one of my existing sharpening stones, later.)
    1. I know I should have ordered the half hollow blade as a noob, but couldn't help myself.
  9. In the back of my mind, I have always wondered about the safety razors my Dad used. What the heck, I am going to try one also. I ordered a Merkur Progress Long Handle DE!
  10. I was on a 6 days/ week shaving schedule for years and years and years.... Then it morphed into a 5 days/week shaving schedule. Recently (my work dress code was relaxed) I went to a 3 days/ week shaving schedule.
  11. I am thinking for a rotation of the straight razor on the weekend and the safety razor on the work days.
  12. I hope I don't go overboard with collecting razors. (Did I mention that I collect knives....)
I have watched several online videos, so now I know what I am doing - NOT! Seriously, the online information and videos have been very helpful, but I have a TON of questions and learning ahead of me.

Thanks! Brian

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... but I have a TON of questions and learning ahead of me.
Yes you do and we are here to help and guide you.

One thing you will learn is that knives were not designed to be razor sharp. Knives are for cutting, razors are for shaving. They are not the same. Razor sharp will be a new ball game for you.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Welcome!

All the crazy natural stones from Wales, Japan, and USA are why I shave with disposable blades (already went crazy enough with knife sharpenin). But it turns out a few pieces of lapping film and a hard, flat surface are how many people hone their straight razors when they finally need rehoning.

Good luck!

Thanks for the Welcome and the advice! Just to clarify on the knife collecting aspect, I went waaaay overboard with it. I can see me heading down the same path here. I think I need to take it slowly and figure out out far I want to take this.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I would lie say this is a mid-life crisis, but I might be too old for that....

Summary:
  1. My Dad used a safety razor when I was growing up. I remember our medicine cabinets having the slots for discarding the blades. I also remember cutting myself messing with the blades and razor as a little kid.
  2. I also remember my Grandfather using an electric razor. (That might be next.)
  3. I have used a brush and shaving soap since almost day one. (My first job at age 16 was working at a pharmacy.)
  4. I started out on cartridges and have used them for decades.
  5. I have been interested in straight razors for a while. (I do collect knives.)
  6. I discovered my Son-In-Law uses a safety razor. This was kind of the last thing that led me to try a straight razor.
  7. I ordered an inexpensive (OK cheap) Parker shavette from the bay. It was rated "high" as far as a "testing the waters" razor. It is enough to get me hooked.
  8. I am hooked! I just ordered a Dovo 100 581 Full Hollow Carbon Steel 5/8" Straight Razor. Along with a new strop (I already have one for my knives, but it is a little rough now). I will worry about if I need a new honing stone, or if I can use one of my existing sharpening stones, later.)
    1. I know I should have ordered the half hollow blade as a noob, but couldn't help myself.
  9. In the back of my mind, I have always wondered about the safety razors my Dad used. What the heck, I am going to try one also. I ordered a Merkur Progress Long Handle DE!
  10. I was on a 6 days/ week shaving schedule for years and years and years.... Then it morphed into a 5 days/week shaving schedule. Recently (my work dress code was relaxed) I went to a 3 days/ week shaving schedule.
  11. I am thinking for a rotation of the straight razor on the weekend and the safety razor on the work days.
  12. I hope I don't go overboard with collecting razors. (Did I mention that I collect knives....)
I have watched several online videos, so now I know what I am doing - NOT! Seriously, the online information and videos have been very helpful, but I have a TON of questions and learning ahead of me.

Thanks! Brian
Good show dude! I have a bunch of straights but still love my Parker. Keep at it and you will end up only using a straight razor. They are just so comfy on the face.

Top Bottom