What's new

Lock the elbows or don't

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Jeff-Cooper.jpg

Elbows bent, let the muscles control the recoil, not bones.

Just be careful if you ever drop the hammer on a .454 Casull. The front sights on them seem to like foreheads lol.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Finally got to read this. Lots of good information.
I’m at work at lunch so I’ll keep it short.
Most importantly is gun safety!
Then learn the mechanics of your weapon.

If shooting for pleasure
Find what works for best for you.
Then go from there.
You must be comfortable with your weapon. That’s the best way I know how to explain it without watching you shoot and offering guidance at that time.

Just keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have acquired your target and have made the decision to shoot.
Never ever point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy.
Gotta go

Arms straight, elbows NOT locked, feet roughly even, toes pointed at Target. Unlock knees, shift weight forward onto ball of foot enough so heels lift slightly, just enough to slide a piece of paper underneath.

I’ve instructed and certified around 4k folks with this technique. Quick recovery and excellent recoil dissipation.

View attachment 1045633

Just be careful if you ever drop the hammer on a .454 Casull. The front sights on them seem to like foreheads lol.

Very funny!
Great looking stance, at least the top half:)

Arms straight, elbows NOT locked, feet roughly even, toes pointed at Target. Unlock knees, shift weight forward onto ball of foot enough so heels lift slightly, just enough to slide a piece of paper underneath.

I’ve instructed and certified around 4k folks with this technique. Quick recovery and excellent recoil dissipation.

All good info, I do everything but I keep my dominant foot slightly rear placing the feet about 45 degree to each other.

From the photo above I'm reminded of another tip from the man who taught my class which was "bring the sights to your eyes - not the other way around.
You control the firearm - it doesn't control you"

You will see some people put their head in an awkward position bringing it to the sights which they shouldn't do.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
View attachment 1045633

Jeff Cooper demonstrating the classic "Hard Weaver", which relies on isometric tension between the strong hand and the support hand, pushing forward with the strong hand and pulling back and down with the support hand. Elbows must be bent to achieve this "loaded spring" tension. While Jeff kept his support elbow down, almost perpendicular to the ground, that was because of an old shoulder injury, allegedly. Jack Weaver, whom the technique is named after, held his support elbow higher than Jeff demonstrates.
The Isosceles hold is a different animal, with varying degrees of elbow extension, from slightly bent to locked out.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Very funny!
Great looking stance, at least the top half

No joke about the Casull lol. I've seen more than a few members at my club take a whack in the forehead from the front sight on a Taurus Raging Bull.

The recoil from a .454 Casull is extremely fast and violent. When I said to someone "You really gotta hang on to it" they just didnt understand until after the first shot. Shooting that gun with stiff straight arms is asking for damage to the cartilage in your elbows in short order.

Jeff Cooper demonstrating the classic "Hard Weaver", which relies on isometric tension between the strong hand and the support hand, pushing forward with the strong hand and pulling back and down with the support hand. Elbows must be bent to achieve this "loaded spring" tension. While Jeff kept his support elbow down, almost perpendicular to the ground, that was because of an old shoulder injury, allegedly. Jack Weaver, whom the technique is named after, held his support elbow higher than Jeff demonstrates.
The Isosceles hold is a different animal, with varying degrees of elbow extension, from slightly bent to locked out.

I shoot a handgun much like he does in that picture. My left elbow pointing straight down. The heavier the recoil, the tighter against my ribs my left elbow is. That helps my entire upper body absorb the recoil. Right arm mostly relaxed unless the gun is very recoil heavy. My left arm does all the work and my left hand is tightly over my right, pulling straight down to control the recoil and muzzle rise. My right arm absorbs any rearward recoil.

That was the best way I found to control my .44 mag. I most often shot a 300 grain Hornady bullet at just over 1200fps or a 240 grain gas check hard cast lead at 1450 in that gun. Recoil was heavy. When I first started with that gun, after shooting 100 rounds I could feel my elbow joints taking a beating from keeping my arms locked and solid. Shooting fast double action with that gun and load, you quickly learn how to control recoil.

When shooting handguns, the arms and upper body take all the punishment and it does add up in time. With heavy recoiling rifles, you can use the weight of your whole body to absorb the recoil.

Very funny!
Great looking stance, at least the top half:)

All good info, I do everything but I keep my dominant foot slightly rear placing the feet about 45 degree to each other.

From the photo above I'm reminded of another tip from the man who taught my class which was "bring the sights to your eyes - not the other way around.
You control the firearm - it doesn't control you"

You will see some people put their head in an awkward position bringing it to the sights which they shouldn't do.
Yes, also another correct detail. Bring the sights to your eyes, not the other way around. And if dominate eye is known, and shooter is able, shoot with both eyes open.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

100%. Accurate. Great post John.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Cooper was the primary instructor for his signature Basic Pistol class. He at least lectured for Intermediate Pistol and the Basic Shotgun courses I took and often showed up on the ranges at some time during the course. There was a tradition of going over to "The Sconce", his residence at Gunsite, after graduation of each course, where his gracious wife Janelle would serve cookies and ice tea IIRC. It was a great honor to have been there during that time.

Cooper was the primary instructor for his signature Basic Pistol class. He at least lectured for Intermediate Pistol and the Basic Shotgun courses I took and often showed up on the ranges at some time during the course. There was a tradition of going over to "The Sconce", his residence at Gunsite, after graduation of each course, where his gracious wife Janelle would serve cookies and ice tea IIRC. It was a great honor to have been there during that time.

Sounds like a great memory.

Top Bottom