What's new

L'Occitane Cade Shave Cream - The new formulation is worth a try

but only if the price tag doesn't scare you off. At $28 for a 150ml tube (18.7¢/ml), the cost per ml is just below that of Castle Forbes (19¢), and just above GFT (15¢), T&H (15.8¢) or DRH (16.7¢).

I had read several times that the L'Occitane Cade shave cream was terrible stuff, but a few months ago I saw that someone noted it had been reformulated, again. My first attempts at getting a sample were not successful because the local store had no container to use. I went back a few weeks later, carrying my own empty sample tub, and the gal working there was nice enough to let me squeeze enough for a few shaves from the "tester" tube into my sample tub.

I've used it twice now. I used a pea sized amount, or maybe just a bit larger, and put it directly on my well shaken badger brush and went to face lathering. The stuff went on so thick and just smeared around, so I thought it was going to be a poor performer, but after adding water little by little, it sprang to life and that small amount I used was more than enough for 3 passes.

The scent of this cream is quite a bit stronger than that of the soap. The juniper component of the scent, while definitely there, is not as much of the overall profile as it is with the soap. I find that unfortunate, but I still enjoyed the scent.

The cushion and glide were all that I could want in a cream. It didn't have quite the cushion of T&H, and it didn't have quite the glide of CO Bigelow, but it was an excellent performer. The texture of the lather was not like the english creams. It was somewhere between, say, T&H and KMF...perhaps like Provence Sante soap, though I've only used that a few times, so I may be off in that comparison.

After the shave, I used L'Occitane Cade ASB and 8 or 9 hours later, I could not believe how great my face felt. There are very few soaps that make face feel that great, that long after the shave (Mystic Water comes to mind).

I'm very pleased with the performance of the cream and if not for 20 other creams in my den, I'd go buy a tube. I've not used CF or DRH creams, but I like L'Occitane more than GFT and probably on par with T&H. I may have to sell off some of my software so I get some Cade SC in my den.

Thanks for the review. I recently recieved an email from L'Occitane for a one time only 20% off an entire order or store purchase and I've been plotting what to get. I have the Cade shave soap as well as the L'Occitane PH edt and Eau des Baux edt already. So I was thinking about the aftershave balms and possibly the Cade shave cream, but I had remembered some poor reviews for it. Maybe it would be worth a try especially if I can get it at 20% off. I'd like to get a refill puck of the shave soap as well.... that soap is amazing. I used it last night as a matter of fact.

Ben

I love the Eau de Baux EDT but I got a free Eau de Baux "shower gel" and it is simply the worst product I have ever used in my life. Won't make a decent lather for the life of me, and doesn't really smell all that much like the EDT.

I love the EDT and deodorant though... shower gel was simply beyond bad

I agree. They've done a good job with the re(-re-re-re?)formulated cream - it's now well worth its money when you're looking for that very unique Cade scent.

NOW BRING BACK THE CADE SPLASH!!!

I recently recieved an email from L'Occitane for a one time only 20% off an entire order or store purchase and I've been plotting what to get.
Ben

I've been a big fan of the Eau de Baux ASB - very soothing. I liked it better than the Cade ASB and it works nicely with your Eau de Baux EDT. I'm also a fan of their Vetiver EDT. You might want to add them to the list.

Reanimating this thread to say I got an email today from l'occitane, and they now sell Cade cream in a tub. I'm not sure if this is a new rerereformulation but is costs less per ounce in the tub than the tube. (6.7 oz for $26 vs. 5.2 oz for $28) The tub looks classy. Anyone know if its glass or plastic?

I perused the L'Occitane website. It looks like the shaving creams in the tube and tub may be different. The tube says "Cade Shaving Cream" while the tub says "Cade Rich Shaving Cream". The description of the two are different, too.

IMHO they let Cade slide when they bailed on the aftershave splash. That's an amazing product and the star of that round up. I have the cream and it went well with it. I wrote the company a pleasing letter to bring back the AS and the verdict is it's over. When I finish my bottle I'm taking it to New Orleans for a celebratory funeral with marching bands and and...

I love it. I would buy the puck if I knew what I could readily fit it into. Some say they hate the scent but I only think it is strong before the lather is whipped up. The Balm kinda smells like a cosmetics counter at a fancy department store.

Top Bottom