What's new

Llyn Idwall stone

So I was lucky enough to get a chance to buy this stone from another site, and it just came in the mail today. It isn't a Charnley Forrest, despite the slightly greenish tinge. It's a Llyn Idwall stone, which is apparently just as hard as a CF but from a different part of Wales.

I'm going to try it out on a few blades and I will post some follow-up information here, but for now I thought you'd like to see some photos, even if they are low resolution, cell phone shots.

Is it supposed to perform similar to a CF?

Yes, it's definitely a final finishing stone, and it feels just as hard as a CF, but somewhat smoother to the touch. I'm not sure whether it will work better than a CF (which is my favorite finishing stone right now), but I like trying some of these more obscure rocks now and then. I'll keep you posted.

I have what I think is either a Lynn Idwal or charnley as well at home. I'll post some pictures of mine later to compare.

Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but from reading they are comparable to charnley's and actually more rare to find.

Top Bottom