What's new

Listing razors according to aggressiveness

How about a list of razors from least aggressive to most aggressive (or vice versa).

I see a lot of questions asking how this razor compares to that razor. Maybe a list of the more common brands and models...

I think this would be a difficult thing to do. Very few, if any, people have the experience necessary plus quite a bit of it is YMMV. An alternative would be to compile a list of razors and categorize them as mild, aggressive, etc.

The answer would be the wiki. Essentially, you could have the first person rank the razors that they own from mild to aggressive and other people could fill in their own razors where they should be. Mind you, there would be disputes as to which razor goes where, but there is a talk page.

It would take some time, and the disputes wouldn't be insignificant, but it should be possible.

Edit: Here's the playground for it.

I think this would be a difficult thing to do. Very few, if any, people have the experience necessary plus quite a bit of it is YMMV. An alternative would be to compile a list of razors and categorize them as mild, aggressive, etc.

This might be a better idea. Gillette is fairly easy to categorize and I believe the standard when first starting with DE shaving. The difficulty is when one starts to explore with other brands and does not know what to expect.

There's a subjective aspect to it to, having to do with the individual users' technique and facial topology. I know for a fact that there are certain razors considered average-to-gentle by many here, but have irritated the hell out of my face personally. This, combined with the fact that especially with vintage Gillettes, there is some inconsistency from individual razor to individual razor, depending on how they've been cared for or their specific year. IMO, such a list would get complicated and confusing awfully quick.

On the other hand, Joel has once again hit a home run with his analysis of Merkur's most popular offerings. I think I'll bump it in case anyone else missed it.

Top Bottom