What's new

Listerine as an Aftershave

I didn't know this, but Listerine was once marketed as an aftershave.

$listerine_shave.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget these

$1_524d02d3ff8eee884e7dcc07b555146c.jpg

From the page with the pic:

Yes, back in the thirties, Lambert Pharmacal Company was in the cigarette business and brought out Listerine Cigarettes. Can you imagine people smoking tobacco treated with Listerine? Well, it's true and is an unopened and sealed pack of them. Pretty rare tobacciana item. But definitely an unusual piece of cigarette history.
The whole purpose of these cigarettes was to sooth the throat with the essential oils used in the manufacture of Listerine! They were manufactured by the Christian Peper Tobacco Company of St. Louis, Missouri at factory number 11 for Lambert. Has original two cent Pennsylvania tax stamp on the top of the package.

Last edited:
The whole purpose of these cigarettes was to sooth the throat with the essential oils used in the manufacture of Listerine!

Sooth the throat?? Man....putting ingredients in cigarettes to sooth the throat is like putting saline in Tabasco sauce to sooth the eyeballs. The logic confounds me. :scared:

Sooth the throat?? Man....putting ingredients in cigarettes to sooth the throat is like putting saline in Tabasco sauce to sooth the eyeballs. The logic confounds me. :scared:

any smoker can tell you that some cigarette brands are easier on the throat than others. John Player Special were hard on the throat and palette. I always preferred Players No.6 which were much smoother. Like they say, don't hate the players, hate the...

And Aqua Velva used to be a mouthwash!

HAHA back when I was in USMC boot camp, after the showers you would walk out in a single file line and the drill instructor would be standing there holding two spray bottles, one was Listerine and the other was an aftershave called "Bulldog". You would walk up in front of the DI and close yours eyes and open your mouth, it never failed he would spray the aftershave in your mouth and the Listerine on your face! Oh man Good Times!

If you didn't learn something today..... My grandparents always had the old original Listerine in the cardboard cylinder wrapped in that brown paper wrap in the bathroom for as far back as I have memories. I never saw Gramp splash it on his face though.

Sweet baby Jesus! If that stuff burns the face like it does my mouth.... I would have to put my big boy pants on before splashing that on. Lol :drool:

Top Bottom