What's new

List all your VDH experiments here....

From time to time I read posts about manipulations people do with VDH; spiking it with Old Spice, etc., etc. Maybe we can get a few of them into this thread, just for fun. Also, tell us if your experiment was a success or a failure.

I'll start.

I took a puck of VDH Select, melted it in the microwave. Then, before it solidified, I stirred in a couple of samples of AoS unscented cream, and about half a sample straw of Penhaligon's Endymion cologne.

Verdict? A so-so soap that smells a lot better than it used to!:lol: The addition of the AoS cream didn't really seem to do anything useful. Oh, well.

Now let's hear your stories.

I used VDH Deluxe pretty much exclusively for a while. I melted it using a double-boiler method, not the microwave.

I've had a lot of success adding essential oils, fragrance oils, olive oil, glycerin, and my little Pinaud Bay Rum VDH came out well :thumbup:

Chris (82R100) gave me a tip to melt VDH on a candlewarmer. It works great. Takes a little while to melt it down, but I can walk away from it, and never worry about it being on too long.

...my little Pinaud Bay Rum VDH came out well :thumbup:

I tried that this last time. I have a nice PCVIBR scented VDH soap now, that I use nearly every day. I have enjoyed using it, and since PCVIBR is relatively inexpensive, I'm not worried about "wasting" any. I may use some Ivy Club Spice next time.

mixed it with Col. conk bay rum soap in a double boiler type setup.

Smells like Dr. Pepper. Shaves pretty well.

Interesting.....

I usually just put a few drops of Old Spice or Bay Rum after shave on the puck before hitting it with a brush. None of the scent seems to linger between uses so I can switch up if I get bored with any one scent. (I only have the two scents at the present time)

Also, Imitation Old Spice (Vi Jon) can be bought at Fred's Dollar Stores for about $1.39. Around here other places like CVS want around $5 for the same product.

I have also added a few drops of glycerin before whipping up a lather but I couldn't tell any difference. I may try that one again.

Last edited:
Van der Spice- VDH mixed with Old Spice cologne and bits of Artifact Soap Works Old Spice Type soap works great!

Yardley-Hagen English Lavender Deluxe- VDH mixed with Yardley of London English Lavender bar soap works well and smells like a bar of Yardley!

Wp

This was a joke. You know, since VDH smells like Grey Flannel to begin with? I'm beginning to question my presentation...

I keep hearing that...though I have never smelled grey flannel before...funny I walked by the clearance rack at Marshalls (a clearance rack in a clearance store I know funny right?) maybe i should pick it up so I can compare for myself.......

Aqua Velva, baby!

A few generous splashes of the blue juice makes for a very enjoyable VDH experience.

:w00t:

I melted a puck of VDH deluxe and mixed in a splash or two of Taylor's Mr. Taylor cologne from a sample. Holds the scent pretty darn well and gives some great shaves.

Earlier this week I melted a puck of VDH Deluxe down and poured it into an empty deodorant tube and made my first shave stick. I'm hooked on sticks now!

Aqua Velva, baby!

A few generous splashes of the blue juice makes for a very enjoyable VDH experience.

:w00t:

Just don't go and then mill the resulting AV soap together with a partially used puck of Williams. The result does not smell good.

I fashion it into a shave stick. It works better as a stick than as a soap cake.

Good stuff for cheap. :blush:

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom