What's new

Liquor in Freezer?

I very rarely chill a distilled spirit in the freezer, but the other night I placed a 750ml bottle of Appleton Special (40% or 80 proof) in it. With 1/2 of the bottle left, I took a look at the bottle the next morning to find the contents slushy and cloudy. Any of you fine folks experience similar proof spirits freezing up on them. this link says that 86 proof liquor will freeze at -30f. I have chilled vodkas before without any problems. I don't think my fridge's freezer is anything close to -30f. Any clues or theories?

http://cocktails.about.com/od/mixology/f/alcohol_freeze.htm

Last edited:
probably some natural fats/oils present in small quantities. they solidify in the freezer and are often removed by "chill-filtering" before bottling.

in many high-end scotches its preferable not to chill-filter as the oils give some extra body/aroma/flavor so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

I've always been baffled by people who want to put whiskeys, rums, and other non-vodka liquors (besides special cases like Jagermeister) in the freezer. I can't figure out why people do this. The reason vodkas (or Jagermeister and other special cases) are kept in the freezer is not for storage (hard liquors in glass will keep for a VERY long time), it's because they're traditionally served straight and ice-cold. Rums, whiskeys, etc., not so much.

Some spirits may become slightly cloudy but slushy at eighty proof. I wonder if perhaps you've got a couple of teenagers in the house taking liberties.

Last edited:
Why would you need to keep any spirit in the freezer other than maybe vodka - and even then do that many people really drink vodka neat? - The recipe for a cocktail is crafted taking into account the dilution factor of the ice from the shake/stir.

I called Appelton Estates yesterday, and a rep called me back today. He told me it might be possible that the slush is due to the caramel they add for color. He also told me I could send him a sample to be tested. BTW @ Jwhite : no teens in the house!!! Thanks for the responses gents!

Johnnie Walker actual recommends you keep their Gold Label in the freezer. I'm not an advocate of that but I found it interesting. There's a fellow floating around B&B who used to work of JW. Maybe he can add some color to the discussion.

Last edited:
Johnnie Walker actual recommends you keep their Gold Label in the freezer. I'm not an advocate of that but I found it interesting. There's a fellow floating around B&B who used to work of JW. Maybe he can add some color to the discussion.

Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. Freezing temperatures mask flavors; great for vodkas, where the goal is crisp and clean (or light American lagers, for that matter), but not something most whiskey drinkers look for. Then again, I don't enjoy blended whiskeys neat anyway.

Had a friend who kept his Jose Quervo 1800 in the freezer because it was so smooth. I tried it and yes it was smooth as could be but there was no flavor!

You actually should not freeze vodka. It has the same affect as if you freeze bourbon and other whiskeys. The flavor is not as strong or prevalent. This assumes you are buying a nice bottle of vodka such as Crystal Head.

You actually should not freeze vodka. It has the same affect as if you freeze bourbon and other whiskeys. The flavor is not as strong or prevalent. This assumes you are buying a nice bottle of vodka such as Crystal Head.

Are you saying that you shouldn't store them in the freezer, or that you shouldn't even bring them to freezing temperatures for serving?

Top Bottom