What's new

Linux Mint

*looks around. Reads thread backchatter. Is utterly not surprised.* :D

Hello there, fellow nerds, from a deliciously fast Slackware 12.1 system, because dang if the longer I use this stuff the less I want between me and my system.

A Slacker... Right on! What WM do you use?

Or is it strictly CLI? :lol:

A Slacker... Right on! What WM do you use?

Or is it strictly CLI? :lol:

Right now its KDE 3.5, as a slalom back from the Fluxbox I'd been using under Wolvix. I'm enjoying the more feature-rich side of things, and the way all the K applications play nicely together. :redface:

If it helps, I do boot to the command line, (whose Runlevel escapes me at the moment) and use Mutt to grab my Gmail, so I deal with things as I boot up and shut down instead of obsessively checking my email all day long.

I'm slowly building a library of good CLI applications. If I could get the hang of Finch I'd probably do my IMing from a terminal. There's just something...warm and fuzzy about ASCI on a black screen, you know?

And if you surf the web with a text-browser, you don't get assaulted by flash ads. :biggrin:

REAL nerds don't need an OS they just write assembly code to get everything to work.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/real_programmers.png

Well...I'm not really a nerd. Not enough, yet.

*has a BA in English* :D

Right now its KDE 3.5, as a slalom back from the Fluxbox I'd been using under Wolvix. I'm enjoying the more feature-rich side of things, and the way all the K applications play nicely together. :redface:

If it helps, I do boot to the command line, (whose Runlevel escapes me at the moment) and use Mutt to grab my Gmail, so I deal with things as I boot up and shut down instead of obsessively checking my email all day long.

I'm slowly building a library of good CLI applications. If I could get the hang of Finch I'd probably do my IMing from a terminal. There's just something...warm and fuzzy about ASCI on a black screen, you know?

And if you surf the web with a text-browser, you don't get assaulted by flash ads. :biggrin:

Well...I'm not really a nerd. Not enough, yet.

*has a BA in English* :D

Welcome! I have (among other degrees) a BA in English, so hold your head up,son. I currently run Gentoo whenever possible but have used Ubuntu and at work (a Novell shop) we're more or less "encouraged" to use SuSE if we want to play with Linux (man, do I miss portage when I'm stuck with YaST)

Flash ads -- FlashBlock for Firefox.
Text IM : Warm fuzzies indeed. XChat++ (and before that, just around the time the Earth cooled, there was TLK on the DEC PDP-11 series...)!
Email: I miss PINE. On the other hand, I do not miss ELM.

BUT, in reality, while some linux discussion occasionally leaks into this thread, mostly, it's a Seinfeld thread -- it's about nothing, funny, and with lots of guest stars and memes.

Flash ads -- FlashBlock for Firefox.
Text IM : Warm fuzzies indeed. XChat++ (and before that, just around the time the Earth cooled, there was TLK on the DEC PDP-11 series...)!
Email: I miss PINE. On the other hand, I do not miss ELM.

BUT, in reality, while some linux discussion occasionally leaks into this thread, mostly, it's a Seinfeld thread -- it's about nothing, funny, and with lots of guest stars and memes.

Hehhe..."suggested."

I've been using Opera again, since it looks not-horrible on KDE, so there were a few days of right click > block! but things are pretty clean now.

As for email, I don't use Mutt for everything, but man is it good to just have text and email and text and get the bloody things done. :)

As for the Seinfelding? I'd noticed. Let me see what I can do...

proxy.php

Nice!

We've lost to the TAT thread, guys. Start that posting! Cory! Break something now! Aaaarrrghh.

:scared:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:lol:

What the hell? who are all these weird people posting on our thread. :eek:

:lol::lol::lol:

at least they added 2 to the post count. :redface:

Woo hoo! :tongue_sm

Linux Thread demise = advent of multiquote.

It's like watching the emergence of the goths and visigoths, you can just see Rome start to crumble from the inside out!:a35::a19:

I guess now we'll have to be the plucky comic relief to the TAT jabberfest.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. At least I can go back to also posting on the "guess that movie" thread... :rolleyes:

Wow! Just joined and already into the Linux thread. Glad to have you. I was ready to concede 5000 to The anything Thread (TAT), but with new blood we could easily steam roll this thing along for another 1000 and maybe even give them a run for their money.

Thanks for chiming in. Maybe you can compare notes with some of the guys in this thread who know what you are talking about.

The Anything Thread blows. Linux.

Top Bottom