What's new

Let’s Talk Speed Strips

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Got the J- Strips in the mail today. They got pretty good sized tabs on them to use for peeling back the strip during a reload.

Strips with humongous tabs… Just the way I like em’. :)

9347B767-2CE0-449E-BD30-D616E8BD7967.jpeg

Put some different kinds of ammo in them to represent.

125 gr. Speer Gold Dot in the J-Strip.

In the HK speed loader, my fav short barrel round, 135 gr. +P Speer GD’s.

And in the Bianchi Strip, probably some ammo the young’in’s have never seen before. 20-30 year old 110 gr. Winchester Silvertips .357 Magnum. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Got the J- Strips in the mail today. They got pretty good sized tabs on them to use for peeling back the strip during a reload.

Strips with humongous tabs… Just the way I like em’. :)

View attachment 1443145

Put some different kinds of ammo in them to represent.

125 gr. Speer Gold Dot in the J-Strip.

In the HK speed loader, my fav short barrel round, 135 gr. +P Speer GD’s.

And in the Bianchi Strip, probably some ammo the young’in’s have never seen before. 20-30 year old 110 gr. Winchester Silvertips .357 Magnum. :)

Nice score. I just load all six, no matter how many rounds the revolver holds, and stick it in me pocket with the tab up...no care if it's oriented to the front or back. I do just fine using the rubber tab to pull on to release them or have my fingers on the nose of some of the remaining bullets.

You'll figure out what works for you after you play with them a bit. I mean...you figured out what to do with your wee wee after you played with it a bit as a kid, didn't you?

1650499334626.png

1650499388650.png

1650499427817.png

1650499467471.png

OkieStubble

Nice score. I just load all six, no matter how many rounds the revolver holds, and stick it in me pocket with the tab up...no care if it's oriented to the front or back. I do just fine using the rubber tab to pull on to release them or have my fingers on the nose of some of the remaining bullets.

You'll figure out what works for you after you play with them a bit. I mean...you figured out what to do with your wee wee after you played with it a bit as a kid, didn't you?

I did... And what not to do! :)

Great gun pics!

All this speed strip talk is making me want a 6 shot 9mm revolver with moon clips.

:)
Psst! Psst! Buy a spare SP101 .357 cylinder with crane off the 'bay and a Bowen GP100 extra length firing pin & send the package to Mark Hartsthorne at Pinnacle High Performance. He will do his moon clip convo, multi-caliber, and can do your headspacing/cylinder gap too.😊

OkieStubble

Psst! Psst! Buy a spare SP101 .357 cylinder with crane off the 'bay and a Bowen GP100 extra length firing pin & send the package to Mark Hartsthorne at Pinnacle High Performance. He will do his moon clip convo, multi-caliber, and can do your headspacing/cylinder gap too.😊

Pinnacle. I'll even send you my prototype trigger guard to send to Mark, so he can see the mod for the quick-change cylinder screw.:lemo: I went a bit large the first time (8-32) and it had some press-through ribbing on the inside of the trigger guard. Step down to 6-32, and it has plenty of meat for the drill-n-tap. After that, you back out the set screw and plug-n-play either your .357/38, or your any-nominal-.356-round crane & cylinder. I found it better to switch crane and cylinder, rather than just the cylinder, as you can have tolerance stacking that raises or lowers your headspace & cylinder gap more than can be tolerated for 100% performance. Even with that, I ended up and adding the Bowen extra length FPs, getting to a protrusion of ~0.074", rather than the OEM 0.053-0.055".

It may be slightly less than a new gun...maybe. But, Mark doesn't work with a Northern Tool drill press & hand tools either. :c1:

J Frame, i believe, but the SP is the same.

1650561775134.png

OkieStubble

Speed strips are ok…I have a few. My preference shall remain a decent speed loader though.
View attachment 1443398View attachment 1443402View attachment 1443403

I think you are exactly right. I actually got to play around with the dummy rounds, holster and speed pouches and the Bianchi and J-Strips last night, trying to get a bit familiar with all of them.

Right off the bat, regular speed loaders are much smoother and faster then the others. From pouches on the belt and from the right front pocket.

To my surprise, I struggled most with the J-Strips. While they are in a speed loader configuration and are thin, not only does the huge tab totally gets in the way of dropping them into the cylinder, but I turned that big tab every which way and direction and angle trying to seat those 5 rounds quickly and smoothly and it just would not let me do it.

At least not smoothly or quickly. With the fumbling it takes to not only seat the rounds, but the huge tab was also no help in pulling and popping the rounds out of the J-Strip.

The way the rounds are bunched together in that speed loader pattern, made it difficult to strip it away. Rounds always wanted to pop back out instead of all dropping consistently at the same time.

Don’t get me wrong the J- Strip works. But it doesn’t work nowhere as well, or as smooth or as fast as a regular inline speed strip like the Bianchi.

The Bianchi was not as fast or smooth as an HK speed loader, but it worked way smoother, quicker and easier then the J-Strips.

Self defense situations or gunfights, usually happen very close, very fast and very violently. Using a revolver in any of the three I just listed above is a definite handicap to a reliable semi auto, it’s just that plain and simple.

So If a revolver is going to be carried, A high level of reloading proficiency is a must. My experiences tell me, other than a mindset and extreme will to win and survive, speed and accuracy wins gunfights. The closer you are, the faster you have to be. Everything and anything you can do to be smoother and faster, whether it’s practice, technique or gear, will always be a good idea.

Speed strips are flatter and easier to carry over speed loaders. They are even quicker then J-Strips. And while I haven’t practiced with them long enough to be were I should be in reloading with them, it seemed obvious to me right off the bat, that my HK speed loaders blew them out of the water in terms of smoothness of reload and speed of reload.

And I will always want that ability of smooth and speed in a gunfight or self defense situation.

So when personally carrying a revolver? I will always have speed loaders either on my belt in pouches, or in my right front pocket. And then probably a couple of speed strips in a pouch or back right pocket for when/if I run out of speed loaders. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Pinnacle. I'll even send you my prototype trigger guard to send to Mark, so he can see the mod for the quick-change cylinder screw.:lemo: I went a bit large the first time (8-32) and it had some press-through ribbing on the inside of the trigger guard. Step down to 6-32, and it has plenty of meat for the drill-n-tap. After that, you back out the set screw and plug-n-play either your .357/38, or your any-nominal-.356-round crane & cylinder. I found it better to switch crane and cylinder, rather than just the cylinder, as you can have tolerance stacking that raises or lowers your headspace & cylinder gap more than can be tolerated for 100% performance. Even with that, I ended up and adding the Bowen extra length FPs, getting to a protrusion of ~0.074", rather than the OEM 0.053-0.055".

It may be slightly less than a new gun...maybe. But, Mark doesn't work with a Northern Tool drill press & hand tools either. :c1:

J Frame, i believe, but the SP is the same.

View attachment 1443549

Wow! I am beginning to think…. You are da man. :)

Speed strips are ok…I have a few. My preference shall remain a decent speed loader though.
View attachment 1443398View attachment 1443402View attachment 1443403

I tend to agree, but I use speed strips for my 7-round Charter Professional in .32H&R Mag; there are no other options. I load 7 rounds in an 8 round strip with the fourth space empty for a finger.

Haven't experimented with loading my .380acp wheel gun from a speed strip with live rounds, only snap caps, but I'll try it the next time I'm at the range. Loading it from a Beretta 84 Cheetah magazine works pretty well.

Last edited:
I used speed loaders with my 642 for a short time but I didn’t like carrying them. The only thing I don’t like about the 642 is how thick it is at the cylinder. That’s why I switched to the straight strips. But like I said earlier, I rarely carry it anymore because I have grown fond of carrying my LCP II. It’s easy to carry an extra mag for the LCP.

OkieStubble

I used speed loaders with my 642 for a short time but I didn’t like carrying them. The only thing I don’t like about the 642 is how thick it is at the cylinder. That’s why I switched to the straight strips. But like I said earlier, I rarely carry it anymore because I have grown fond of carrying my LCP II. It’s easy to carry an extra mag for the LCP.

Agreed. Carried my LCP II appendix, all day in a DeSantis leather clip holster with 7 round magazine extensions and extra mag in my left front pocket. It’s so thin and light, easy to draw and reholster and quick fast reloads from the pocket which gives me 15 rounds of .380 at a moment’s notice.

I still feel guilty carrying a smaller caliber? :)

953481C5-FFD3-4D53-BF1B-C2AFE3E6AC6D.jpeg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Agreed. Carried my LCP II appendix, all day in a DeSantis leather clip holster with 7 round magazine extensions and extra mag in my left front pocket. It’s so thin and light, easy to draw and reholster and quick fast reloads from the pocket which gives me 15 rounds of .380 at a moment’s notice.

I still feel guilty carrying a smaller caliber? :)

View attachment 1447006
Mine has a laser and chicken gizzards. I need a new holster.

I base the following on intermittingly having a 5 shot as a BUG and attending a Revolver Only class with Clint Smith on 04 and applying the knowledge base to date. My answer in CAPITALS, I am not yelling.

I need speed strip answers from the experienced revolver members here.

I have a 5 shot Ruger SP101. Should I have a 5 shot strip or 6 shot strip?
[I WOULD CARRY 4 IN A 5 STRIP OR 6 IN AN 8 STRIP TO FACILITATE LOADING TWO AT A TIME. HAVING SAID THAT. I WOULD BE A SPEED LOADER FAN AUGMENTED BY A SPEED STRIP BEOFRE I WOULD JUST CARRY A SPEED STRIP]

I have read different things. I read the 5 shot strip doesn’t have enough tab to pull the strip up and away?
[IF THAT IS A CONCERN, GET A 6 AND LOAD 4 IN ONE OF THOSE TAB SPACE 2 ROUNDS SPACE 2 ROUNDS.]

I also read the 6 shot is good because it allows a finger to go between the 3 and two bullets to make for an easier grasp and load?
[AGAIN, I PLACE 2, HAVE A SPACE BETWEEN, THEN 2.]

Do y’all carry the strip in your pocket tab up or tab down?
[TAB UP ]

YMMV/FWIW I would gladly defer to those who carry a revolver more than I , particularly as their EDC primary.

I have never heard of this speed strip. I'm a 1911 fan, .45ACP is a must, nines won't do. A mag of 7, one in the chamber. If that doesn't do it, I figure my number was up anyway.

So without a google search I'm guessing it's a "tear-off" type of affair? All ammo in a straight line, somehow adhered on the primer side, shove two, rip, shove two, rip? I remember a speed loader from years back--I can't imagine anything faster, but I'll look this thing up. Must be a revolver-only affair.

OkieStubble

I base the following on intermittingly having a 5 shot as a BUG and attending a Revolver Only class with Clint Smith on 04 and applying the knowledge base to date. My answer in CAPITALS, I am not yelling.

I need speed strip answers from the experienced revolver members here.

I have a 5 shot Ruger SP101. Should I have a 5 shot strip or 6 shot strip?
[I WOULD CARRY 4 IN A 5 STRIP OR 6 IN AN 8 STRIP TO FACILITATE LOADING TWO AT A TIME. HAVING SAID THAT. I WOULD BE A SPEED LOADER FAN AUGMENTED BY A SPEED STRIP BEOFRE I WOULD JUST CARRY A SPEED STRIP]

I have read different things. I read the 5 shot strip doesn’t have enough tab to pull the strip up and away?
[IF THAT IS A CONCERN, GET A 6 AND LOAD 4 IN ONE OF THOSE TAB SPACE 2 ROUNDS SPACE 2 ROUNDS.]

I also read the 6 shot is good because it allows a finger to go between the 3 and two bullets to make for an easier grasp and load?
[AGAIN, I PLACE 2, HAVE A SPACE BETWEEN, THEN 2.]

Do y’all carry the strip in your pocket tab up or tab down?
[TAB UP ]

YMMV/FWIW I would gladly defer to those who carry a revolver more than I , particularly as their EDC primary.

Good advice David. I think I’m probably going to pick up some of the 8 round Tuff strips like Mike has @Ad Astra and load two/two and two in the strip. It will allow me to have a finger rest between every two rounds and then when I load the last, 5th round, I will have 1 round in each strip left over.

Good advice David. I think I’m probably going to pick up some of the 8 round Tuff strips like Mike has @Ad Astra and load two/two and two in the strip. It will allow me to have a finger rest between every two rounds and then when I load the last, 5th round, I will have 1 round in each strip left over.
I'd order a single set, and see what you think. They were waaaay too soft for me, I had rounds come off in my pocket, and the trailing round would pop out as I was loading a cylinder from the strip. It may well have had to do with the user, but I never had issues with my Bianchis.

Top Bottom