What's new

Let’s Talk Speed Strips

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I usually carry a speed strip with 5 rounds, loose in my pocket (no particular orientation of tab up, down or sideways) for use with my J frame. I have a Milt Sparks leather speed strip holder, vertical like a mag pouch, for use on a belt, but very seldom use it.

Do you leave an empty spot in the middle for a better hold?

Or on the end for a longer tab?
On the end so it’s easier to hold. I used to fill all 6, but it is easier with only 5 on it. I don't even carry it when I’m wearing shorts, which is when I really liked carrying my 642. I practiced reloading with it a lot when I first got it. Since I got my LCP II, I haven’t kept up on practicing. I did get pretty good with it in a short time.

I never thought about leaving a spot in the middle open…. I might try that when I shoot next. Whichever is easiest I guess…

I definitely need to learn the skill of just bumping out the empties and topping off the cylinder.
I use a Dremel & turned-down 1200 grit rubber cylinder bit, but this is the purfesshional way to hone your cylinders. A pass with a patch of molycoat after the polish helps too. Empties fall like grandkids down a waterslide.😁

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
On the end so it’s easier to hold. I used to fill all 6, but it is easier with only 5 on it. I don't even carry it when I’m wearing shorts, which is when I really liked carrying my 642. I practiced reloading with it a lot when I first got it. Since I got my LCP II, I haven’t kept up on practicing. I did get pretty good with it in a short time.

I never thought about leaving a spot in the middle open…. I might try that when I shoot next. Whichever is easiest I guess…

Lol’d. you and me are alike, I have been getting spoiled with my LCP II also. :)

I watched a guy use the middle empty spot to put his middle finger there and then quickly shove the 3 close rounds on the strip into the cylinder, give a little turn and then the last 2. It looked pretty fast, but I will try it for myself.

I saw Mas Ayoob do it like you do. :)

I’m thinking that’s gotta be the best way, I mean… It’s Mas…. :ouch1:

OkieStubble

I use a Dremel & turned-down 1200 grit rubber cylinder bit, but this is the purfesshional way to hone your cylinders. A pass with a patch of molycoat after the polish helps too. Empties fall like grandkids down a waterslide.😁

Interesting…. :)

OkieStubble

I usually carry a speed strip with 5 rounds, loose in my pocket (no particular orientation of tab up, down or sideways) for use with my J frame. I have a Milt Sparks leather speed strip holder, vertical like a mag pouch, for use on a belt, but very seldom use it.

Some people even cut their tabs off?

OkieStubble

You got me looking at Zeta 6 again. These, I like! There is a real difference in the angle and spacing between a 6 shot and 5 as hot cylinder. I may have to give it a try!

Getting a Zeta 6 shot and leaving the middle open for a finger spot, but then cutting the tabs off both ends for a more compact strip?

Just might be the ticket! :)

I ran a combat course years ago with a model 66 when I was just a young in. The webbing on my hands between my thumbs and pointy digits, looked like I got attacked by piranhas. :)
Yeah, they really weren’t fun to shoot with magnum ammo. Fortunately we did most of our training and practice with .38 Special ammo. At some point they issued us Pachmayr grips that were a huge improvement, I don’t remember what happened to the original wooden ones.

And since everyone like pics here is a couple of the old wheel gun I carried for 10 years.
B3D0844A-21D3-4F7A-8B1B-9C040E945B95.jpeg
51263BDF-227A-4EE1-8EAF-997C300C17E0.jpeg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
5 round, tab up. I carry two. If TSHTF I hope my loaded 5 will save me. I am not very fast loading the strips.

OkieStubble

Yeah, they really weren’t fun to shoot with magnum ammo. Fortunately we did most of our training and practice with .38 Special ammo. At some point they issued us Pachmayr grips that were a huge improvement, I don’t remember what happened to the original wooden ones.

And since everyone like pics here is a couple of the old wheel gun I carried for 10 years.View attachment 1443026View attachment 1443027

ISP! You are indeed a Hoosier Trooper! :)

OkieStubble

5 round, tab up. I carry two. If TSHTF I hope my loaded 5 will save me. I am not very fast loading the strips.

Just thinking about trying to load a cylinder while someone else could be pointing their gun at me is enough for fumbled rounds and/or nightmares.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Here you go:

222.jpg

rrr.jpg

2-2-2. And phone case holds your ammo.

But loading those flat-front HSTs under pressure would not be good.

Also, SA revolvers load very nicely from these. In 45 ACP (I have the convertible cylinder) a 1911 magazine also works wonders as a speed loader.

AA

Lol’d. you and me are alike, I have been getting spoiled with my LCP II also. :)

I watched a guy use the middle empty spot to put his middle finger there and then quickly shove the 3 close rounds on the strip into the cylinder, give a little turn and then the last 2. It looked pretty fast, but I will try it for myself.

I saw Mas Ayoob do it like you do. :)

I’m thinking that’s gotta be the best way, I mean… It’s Mas…. :ouch1:
pretty sure Mas is where I saw how to use the strip! Good luck.

Top Bottom