What's new

Let’s Talk Speed Strips

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So I’m kinda embarrassed to admit this to my fellow firearms enthusiast brothers, but I have NO experience with speed strips. I just got some Bianchi’s in the mail,

41340740-DFCF-4C11-ABD2-4157A278AE93.jpeg

and getting these soon

I need speed strip answers from the experienced revolver members here.

I have a 5 shot Ruger SP101. Should I have a 5 shot strip or 6 shot strip?

I have read different things. I read the 5 shot strip doesn’t have enough tab to pull the strip up and away?

I also read the 6 shot is good because it allows a finger to go between the 3 and two bullets to make for an easier grasp and load?

Do y’all carry the strip in your pocket tab up or tab down?

What say y’all? :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I like the "8s" as you can load two, skip one load two, etc.

OO_OO_OO

Even for 5-shot Ruger. You might drop one! 🤣 Don't need it!

They're generally better than old-school HKS etc. Flatter is better!

AA

So I’m kinda embarrassed to admit this to my fellow firearms enthusiast brothers, but I have NO experience with speed strips. I just got some Bianchi’s in the mail,

View attachment 1442583
and getting these soon

I need speed strip answers from the experienced revolver members here.

I have a 5 shot Ruger SP101. Should I have a 5 shot strip or 6 shot strip?

I have read different things. I read the 5 shot strip doesn’t have enough tab to pull the strip up and away?

I also read the 6 shot is good because it allows a finger to go between the 3 and two bullets to make for an easier grasp and load?

Do y’all carry the strip in your pocket tab up or tab down?

What say y’all? :)

I actually prefer the exact same speed strips that you purchased for your SP-101. I carry a few of them in pockets and I load them with 6 despite as you mentioned, the SP-101 being a 5 shot BUG.

Whoever complains about having an extra round? No me.

I carry them in the same side pocket, tab up because as a right handed shooter, I'm actually flipping open the cylinder with my off hand and loading with me right. I also carry them in a leather pouch that Bianchi makes. It sits on the belt and looks smaller than a leather glove holder or something.

I rarely carry the SP-101 as my primary since retiring, it makes a nice house gun. Sometimes I take it on walks at night for "snakes" two-legged and other rattlers.

Stay safe.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

OkieStubble

I actually prefer the exact same speed strips that you purchased for your SP-101. I carry a few of them in pockets and I load them with 6 despite as you mentioned, the SP-101 being a 5 shot BUG.

Whoever complains about having an extra round? No me.

I carry them in the same side pocket, tab up because as a right handed shooter, I'm actually flipping open the cylinder with my off hand and loading with me right. I also carry them in a leather pouch that Bianchi makes. It sits on the belt and looks smaller than a leather glove holder or something.

I rarely carry the SP-101 as my primary since retiring, it makes a nice house gun. Sometimes I take it on walks at night for "snakes" two-legged and other rattlers.

Stay safe.

Great post! I hear what you are saying about carrying a 5 shot for EDC and I have been thinking about it in that roll. Maybe not”EDC” as in every day but maybe more like “EOWC” like every other week? :)

Surviving a few shootings over the course of a career, I am definitely in the more ammo is better camp. While it wouldn’t go out with me at certain times, events, locations and depending on the types of individual’s I happen to be rubbing elbows with at that moment.

But even if I do decide to carry it to a backyard BBQ, I was thinking maybe?

An HK speed loader in a pouch in front of the holster, a speed strip in the same side pocket, and maybe a leather pouch with 5 loose rounds on the back of the belt?

You know, options like the HK for a fast reload, the speed strip for a lull in the action and loose rounds if I’m still breathing and running & screaming the opposite way?

Whatcha think? :)

With an SP-101 (or most revolvers), it's really a "getaway" gun at most. Having enough ammunition to top off after running for and finding cover and concealment is my thought. Of course with the venerable .357 magnum load, 2-5 well placed rounds up close and withing the cardio-vascular triangle is probably going to do the job.

Carried one just as a last resort along with a nice blade in case someone went for a gun grab. It's a "shove to the chest" and keep pressing/rotating sort of deal. Up close and very ugly I would imagine. That's what makes revolvers excellent BUGS as you know. No need to look or feel your way around, just find the trigger and press early and often to get some distance and maybe use the primary if it's available.

We have rattlers around here and so, I have some snake shot in there as well. Other than that, it's a good "door gun" for unexpected and un-invited intruders.

I like the Bianchis, like you have. I generally carry them with 5 on board, as it really is faster reloading.

The Safariland Comp I/II are my preferred speed loaders, but I have not tried the J Clips.

A company called Tuff Products makes an analog of the Bianci strips, but I find them to be a bit too soft/flexible for me; however, their speed strip pouch is a very good value.

OkieStubble

With an SP-101 (or most revolvers), it's really a "getaway" gun at most. Having enough ammunition to top off after running for and finding cover and concealment is my thought. Of course with the venerable .357 magnum load, 2-5 well placed rounds up close and withing the cardio-vascular triangle is probably going to do the job.

Carried one just as a last resort along with a nice blade in case someone went for a gun grab. It's a "shove to the chest" and keep pressing/rotating sort of deal. Up close and very ugly I would imagine. That's what makes revolvers excellent BUGS as you know. No need to look or feel your way around, just find the trigger and press early and often to get some distance and maybe use the primary if it's available.

We have rattlers around here and so, I have some snake shot in there as well. Other than that, it's a good "door gun" for unexpected and un-invited intruders.
Absolutely agree with all of this. I definitely won’t be out picking fights, but if I’m cornered in the Walmart bathroom, I want enough ammo to send the message,

“don’t go be poking your head in here, ya might not get it back.”

OkieStubble

I like the Bianchis, like you have. I generally carry them with 5 on board, as it really is faster reloading.

The Safariland Comp I/II are my preferred speed loaders, but I have not tried the J Clips.

A company called Tuff Products makes an analog of the Bianci strips, but I find them to be a bit too soft/flexible for me; however, their speed strip pouch is a very good value.

Yeah, I’m interested in getting them in. If they work as fast from a speed loader pouch as a regular speed loader? I get the last thing anyone cares about is losing an expensive speed loader in a situation, but I’m a cheap bastage, so if the J Clips are just as fast and easier to replace?

What’s not to love? :)

You got me looking at Zeta 6 again. These, I like! There is a real difference in the angle and spacing between a 6 shot and 5 as hot cylinder. I may have to give it a try!

OkieStubble

You got me looking at Zeta 6 again. These, I like! There is a real difference in the angle and spacing between a 6 shot and 5 as hot cylinder. I may have to give it a try!

I agree with you though, I think on a 5 shot, I’d rather go at the cylinder just twice with a three and two load instead of 3 times with a two, two and 1?

Growing up in the biz. in the era of dump pouches and cartridge slides...I have nothing to contribute. :c1:
Same here. Carried a Smith&Wesson model 15 .38 Special in the USAF Security Police in the 70’s with dump pouches and then a model 66 .357 with dump pouches when I joined the ISP in 1979. Never used a strip but did carry speed loaders until we got rid of the revolvers and went to the Beretta 92.

OkieStubble

Same here. Carried a Smith&Wesson model 15 .38 Special in the USAF Security Police in the 70’s with dump pouches and then a model 66 .357 with dump pouches when I joined the ISP in 1979. Never used a strip but did carry speed loaders until we got rid of the revolvers and went to the Beretta 92.

I ran a combat course years ago with a model 66 when I was just a young in. The webbing on my hands between my thumbs and pointy digits, looked like I got attacked by piranhas. :)

Top Bottom