What's new

Let’s talk pocket squares

“Pocket squares: This is the handkerchief that goes in the breast pocket of your suit, and there is a reason it’s called a pocket “square” and not a pocket “frilly ****wad.” That’s because the only fold you should ever use is the square fold—also known as the Presidential—which should extend exactly three-eighths of an inch above, and perfectly parallel to, your breast pocket. Any other fold—the Two-Point, the Dunaway, the Flute, and don’t even get me started on the Puff—is an abomination.”

Excerpt From
How to Archer
Sterling Archer

All in all I mostly agree with this excerpt, but I just place this here for a conversation starter.

How often do you wear one?
What folds do you use?
What colors are in your collection?

Also curious if anyone is using one of those fold holders, and your thoughts on them.

Pocket squares showed up in recent posts and i just bought a Bridge City pocket square... i was all excited.

Bridge City Pocket Square - Lee Valley Tools

proxy.php

dave

I wear one when I am in causal business setting and not wearing a tie with my suit. (No tie with the suit is probably going to set some of you off but I don’t care!)

I like them. And I disagree with Archer. I have all sorts of fabrics and colors. I use various folds, but frequently enough for a silk one, anyway, just stuff it in the pocket, so a puff, I suppose. Or a knotted puff. My favorite is a true linen all white pocket square--preferably hand rolled and sewn edge--with a television fold or as Archer would put it Presidential. Not two peaks very often, but often one peak or three. Second favorite type would be white with a colored border.

I would wear pocket square much more frequently if I were not lazy. As it is, I tend not to wear them that often, or I stuff one in a suit or sports coat pocket and wear the same one everything I wear that jacket for any number of times.

I do not see how a white pocket square in a television fold would ever be ostentatious. Silk pocket squares, particularly with a lot showing, I can see the argument, depending upon the occasion and the outfit. A way of adding color/interest to a plain suit and tie combination. I would say if a bright tie, perhaps a subdued pocket square or no pocket square.

They should never match the tie exactly.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't wear them. They look great worth some, but I don't like them on me I feel a bit pretentious. Even worse, though, I keep wanting to fiddle with it. I need to keep things simple for myself or I get fussy.

They should never match the tie exactly.

I tend to agree with that. Matching colors and patterns look very odd, almost cartoonist, like upholstery and draperies matching exactly. Even solid/solid can look a bit odd, but it can work.

Frankly, I'm not typically much of a fan of patterned pocket squares in the first place. A subtle pattern can work, but anything more is far too much. It's supposed to be an accent, not a big damn gong crash.

I rarely wear a suit, but I usually use a white presidential fold in a more conservative setting. This setting is rare for me. Maybe a handful of times a year. I have one nice linnen with a hand rolled edge for this.

More often, I am wearing a suit to a wedding or something much more casual. I have a few linnen and silk squares that I use for casual and fun occasions. Puff or 3 peak usually. I like the white linnen with colored edges as well. I try to make sure the color on the edge is close to a color in my tie or shirt...or not. I only have a few so choices are limited.

For interviews or a similar setting, I would not wear one if I were the one being interviewed.

It’s an easy way to dress up or down for different occasions.

I have a lot of different pocket squares, after subscribing to Sprezzabox and Gentleman's Box for some time (socks and ties) but most of them go unused, and this week I even realize how many have never even been unpackaged... If/when I am wearing them it is usually a white presidential in a business suit, or formal event, of a matching fabric to what the rest of the suit prescribes. I may throw a pocket square in a sport coat to add a little color in a less formal occasion when I would not be wearing a tie.

I try to keep it simple. I do not like seeing someone with a tie, pocket square, and lapel pins all clashing for attention withing the small area available.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In theory I like the coloured, patterned PSs ... but find that a white linen TV fold does the job so much better ... I find it hard to go too far astray from that. Occasionally I do, but only occasionally.

My favorite is a true linen all white pocket square--preferably hand rolled and sewn edge--with a television fold

I would wear pocket square much more frequently if I were not lazy.

You already have found the perfect solution ... just get a white linen PS in a TV fold in the jacket pocket and leave it there until the jacket needs to go to the dry cleaners.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think they look good on others and a nice splash of fashion but i agree with @TexLaw in terms of keeping it simple. Especially since i keep my suits and blazer at the office now and change there when casual attire wont work.

Top Bottom