What's new

Let's talk about pen cases.

Does anyone have a dedicated case for holding his/her pens? While I was in school I just clipped them into the pen slots in my backpack/carried them in my pockets. I have a pipe rack on my desk that I use to hold my pens when I'm home. As my collection grows larger and more expensive I've considered the purchase of a quality leather pen case.

I've been eying the Aston Leather 20-pen case (in brown). It's a bit pricey, but I've heard nothing but goods things about their stuff.

http://www.isellpens.com/Leather.html

Here's a less expensive option that I may end up going with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fountain-Pen-Ca...834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a05221fa2

What kind of pen cases do all of you have?

I've got 2 cases, both the same (yet different).
They are the Montblanc Siena line. Black.
One holds one pen and one holds 2 pens.
the single case has my Meisterstuck rollerball in it.
The double pen case is currently empty. (oh, that will change I assure you).

As for a box, I don't have enough pens to warrant one. (that too will change, I assure you).

I knitted myself one, and it's currently in charge of holding my pens, pencils, highlighter, and usb drives that generally run around with me. I'm going to make a vertical one after I finish my dad's knitting case.

I have a few...............one is fashioned from a tool chest (similar to a Gerstner) & all others I have made from wooden cigar boxes (the nice looking wood one's) with a flocked lined insert.........

I need to get a pen case now...thanks a lot...I have 13 on my desk right now...and 4 more in the mail...so I need a case for at least 48 pens right??

I have a few leather cases which I mainly use for transport. You could easily grab a cigar box and finish the inside yourself to make a great, inexpensive pen case.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I would not recommend leather except for short usage (transport) for any vintage pens. Never long term storage. Ever. Chemical exposure will cause premature brassing and deterioration of gold wash finishes similar to verdigris. It's a reaction to the compounds commonly used in the tanning process reacting with the underlying brass. You've probably all seen it, like around a brass rivet in a belt or holster.

Go with a synthetic leather (unless you like that greenie look :yikes:) or cordura. I have a few I use, I'll make some fotos later tonight.

If you want a stationary home for your collection, as mentioned above, a toolbox or jewelry chest lined with Gary Lehrer's slotted and flocked display trays is always a start. (Click on 12"x16" Slotted Display Trays) Dedicated pen chests are rather pricey IMO.

I have one of these, it works well once the liners are cut and dropped in the drawers. Cigar boxes are an excellent suggestion too, some are quite classy.

I have a Cross two pen leather case with a magnetic closure I use for carrying my pens from meeting to meeting at work. Works great and I don't know how I ever made due without it.

So far, I just use an old wooden cigar box with a cloth napkin in it. This is a great discussion and I just saw those slotted inserts that you can buy and cut to size from Lehrer's site mentioned above. doug

I would not recommend leather except for short usage (transport) for any vintage pens. Never long term storage. Ever. Chemical exposure will cause premature brassing and deterioration of gold wash finishes similar to verdigris. It's a reaction to the compounds commonly used in the tanning process reacting with the underlying brass. You've probably all seen it, like around a brass rivet in a belt or holster.

Go with a synthetic leather (unless you like that greenie look :yikes:) or cordura. I have a few I use, I'll make some fotos later tonight.

If you want a stationary home for your collection, as mentioned above, a toolbox or jewelry chest lined with Gary Lehrer's slotted and flocked display trays is always a start. (Click on 12"x16" Slotted Display Trays) Dedicated pen chests are rather pricey IMO.

I have one of these, it works well once the liners are cut and dropped in the drawers. Cigar boxes are an excellent suggestion too, some are quite classy.

Absolutely re the G Lehrer's display trays. I bought I think what was called a shadow box at "Michaels," which I suppose would be called a crafts store, for real cheap and lined with that tray material. There is a photo of it around somewhere on B&B. I thought it came out great, and it gives me a nice glass, see-through display case/holder for little cost. Cigar boxes are great, too, except not as nice because one cannot see through the top!

I have a number of leather pen cases for carrying pens around. I got most of them for fairly little money on EBay. Have not checked recently. They vary quite a bit in aesthetic quality. I really recommend having something like them. No so much to protect the pen, which they do, but in case of any ink leakage, which I seem to have a lot of. I really do seem to keep getting ink on my shirts!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here's one I use for Sheaffer Balance pens.
proxy.php

(There's removable padded divider I pulled out for the photo.) Cordura, it was $35

Here is a photo of the pen case I made:

Wow that came out smaller than I expected. Sorry! Some day I am going to learn how to use this Board!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom