What's new

Let's see those knives!

Andrew Demko AD-10

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 466
Here's an oldie, a "steel eraser" or "ink eraser" and quill knife. This miller bros. was made in the very first part of the 1900's, likely around 1915. Rose wood handle and unknown carbon steel blade.

proxy.php

proxy.php

-Xander

Dang-it

I have started to seriously fall in lust with some of the knives on display. Another freak'n AD to contend with should I give in

Xander can you explain what that knife is used for? Regarding the Mora, the edge is from the handle to the point.
$image.jpg

Last edited:
Keith, Jeremy, the steel eraser was extremely common at the turn of the 20th century. It works very well, but is designed for parchment or vellum. The rounded blade is held perpendicular to the paper and the ink and paper scraped off. It will burnish smooth again after. The long edge is used to cut your goose or crow quill to the proper shape, hence the name for blades sized and shaped as such, "pen blades."

These are often incorrectly referred to as "civil war era blood letting scalpels" and can be spade shaped having the rounded blade on both sides.

Fun item to collect, pain in the arse to sharpen that round edge sometimes!

-Xander

Gayle Bradley's finally here!

Man, what an initial impression. This thing is freakin' rock solid all the way around. Originally, I wasn't a fan of the aesthetics - nor do I care for carbon fiber scales - but this one is quickly growing on me!

Last edited by a moderator:
$2012-12-18 09.31.58.jpg$2012-12-18 09.32.09.jpg$2012-12-18 09.32.23.jpg

Buck Lite Medium. $17, Made in USA, and uses a steel that's easily sharpened and holds a decent edge. I have ignored Buck for years, but not any more...

Top Bottom