What's new

Let the sampling begin!

Excited to try out my new samples and find my next favorite soap.

Next in the list is a new brush. Any recommendations?! Was considering a Simpson Chubby 2 Best.

proxy.php

Looks like you've got Barrister and Mann, Ariana and Evans and Declaration Grooming... all garbage.

Joking aside, though, what are you looking for in a brush and what is your budget? Face or bowl lather? What brush do you use now? No does it have to be badger? The more information you can provide the better.

Looks like you've got Barrister and Mann, Ariana and Evans and Declaration Grooming... all garbage.

Joking aside, though, what are you looking for in a brush and what is your budget? Face or bowl lather? What brush do you use now? No does it have to be badger? The more information you can provide the better.

I'm open to suggestions on soaps! Still trying to learn about what's out there.

No real budget since I shave daily. I bowl lather. Currently using a entry level AOS brush, and its not great. I prefer it to be badger silver tip / best. Thougths?

I'm open to suggestions on soaps! Still trying to learn about what's out there.

No real budget since I shave daily. I bowl lather. Currently using a entry level AOS brush, and its not great. I prefer it to be badger silver tip / best. Thougths?
Oh, I was being sarcastic. All of those soaps are phenomenal.

But since you asked... La Toja, CK-6, Haslinger, Seaforth, Mike's Naturals, Saponificio Veresino are some of my favorites.
Really liking the new Fine formulation so far, too. Very silky shiny lather

My favorite badger is a 2 band knot from ShaveForge. Maggard badgers are great... both SHD and standard. If you're a gambler you can try Simpson best. Duke, Berkeley, Classic, Commodore, Colonel are all popular and available in best. Simpson best can be very skritchy though.

Last edited:
Oh, I was being sarcastic. All of those soaps are phenomenal.

But since you asked... La Toja, CK-6, Haslinger, Seaforth, Mike's Naturals, Saponificio Veresino are some of my favorites.
Really liking the new Fine formulation so far, too. Very silky shiny lather

My favorite badger is a 2 band knot from ShaveForge. Maggard badgers are great... both SHD and standard. If you're a gambler you can try Simpson best. Duke, Berkeley, Classic, Commodore, Colonel are all popular and available in best. Simpson best can be very skritchy though.

I’ll definitely check out those soaps! What two would you recommend I try first?

Still learning the lingo…SHD?

I’ll definitely check out those soaps! What two would you recommend I try first?

Still learning the lingo…SHD?
Super high density

stirling makes phenomenal samples large size and great soap for the money.

west coast shaving products also makes small travel tins.

maggards you have found

That might be the worst website I’ve ever visited. I couldn’t even find their soap products.
I just checked and the people that run the site are on vacation until the 14th of this month, so all products have been taken down until then. My bad.

SHD stands for "Super High Density"...but honestly I'd start with a synthetic or two, like a PAA Peregrino or StarCraft or
AP shave Co SynBad or 2bed,

Which two would I recommend first...well if you've never used a shave stick and want to try one then I'd start with La Toja. Only $5 USD and an excellent soap made in Spain. Haslinger for a lightly scented soap from Austria that pretty much everybody loves. If you want a soap with more scent then check out Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CK-6 soap. Masterfully scented and a ton of scent choices. Stirling also is well regarded, inexpensive with dozens and dozens of scents. Noble Otter is one of my personal favorites. They have some of the most skillfully scented soaps...they just hit it out of the park every single time. Noble Otter Monarch is an absolute masterpiece.
I'm ranting. I know you said two. La Toja and Haslinger since they're smaller amounts of soap and not very expensive

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Excited to try out my new samples and find my next favorite soap.

Next in the list is a new brush. Any recommendations?! Was considering a Simpson Chubby 2 Best.

proxy.php

I like many different soaps:
  • Martin de Candre
  • Saponificio Varesino
  • Vito's Extra Super Coco
  • Musgo Real Classic
  • WSP Rustic
  • Haslinger
  • MWF
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio
  • Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve
  • TFS Rasozero
  • Tallow + Steel
  • Goodfellas' Smile
  • Zingari Man
  • Pré de Provence No.63
  • Nuavia Blu
  • La Toja stick
  • Speick Stick
  • Ach. Brito Mogno
  • Various RazoRock Soaps
  • TOBS
All of the soaps on this list perform quite well on my face for slickness, cushion, post-shave.

I build my lathers using the Modified @Marco Method (posted in my Journal), which builds great lathers using any of the soaps on the list.

On the badger brush front, I use @Rudy Vey brushes with Shavemac 2-band Silvertip fan knots a lot.

If price is no object, the Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE brush with hand-tied 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger knot is awesome.

The Maggard Super High Density (SHD) knots perform quite well and won't break the bank.

Hope this helps. :)

Just my opinion. :cool:

I like many different soaps:
  • Martin de Candre
  • Saponificio Varesino
  • Musgo Real Classic
  • WSP Rustic
  • Haslinger
  • MWF
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio
  • TFS Rasozero
  • Tallow + Steel
  • Goodfellas' Smile
  • Zingari Man
  • Pré de Provence No.63
  • Nuavia Blu
  • La Toja stick
  • Speick Stick
  • Ach. Brito Mogno
  • Various RazoRock Soaps
  • TOBS
All of the soaps on this list perform quite well on my face for slickness, cushion, post-shave.

I build my lathers using the Modified @Marco Method (posted in my Journal), which builds great lathers using any of the soaps on the list.

On the badger brush front, I use @Rudy Vey brushes with Shavemac 2-band Silvertip fan knots a lot.

If price is no object, the Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE brush with hand-tied 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger knot is awesome.

The Maggard Super High Density (SHD) knots perform quite well and won't break the bank.

Hope this helps. :)

Just my opinion. :cool:

Wow! Lots of options here, so thanks for sharing. What is your all-time favorite soap that provides the best lubricity?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wow! Lots of options here, so thanks for sharing. What is your all-time favorite soap that provides the best lubricity?

I also need to add WSP Formula T soap to my original list.

So.....I probably use the first five soaps on the list the most. Vito's Extra Super Coco is, in my opinion, an incredibly good value.
  • Martin de Candre
  • Saponificio Varesino
  • Musgo Real Classic
  • WSP Formula T
  • WSP Rustic
  • Haslinger
  • MWF
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio
  • TFS Rasozero
  • Tallow + Steel