What's new

Legacy Shave Items

It is always nice to see the posts where someone has been able to use his/her parent's or grandparent's razor. I have my father's triple floating head Norelco electric razor that I still use periodically, if only for a sideburn trim. I can remember the Norelco ads that showed Santa Claus sliding on the snow with the floating heads adapting to the terrain. When I first started DE shaving, the best option that I had for a bowl was a Revere bowl that my mother won as the Catholic Daughter Bowling Champion in 1963. As one of eight children, I remember very clearly how much she looked forward to going out on Wed night at 7:30 for a night out and bowling with the girls. My morning shave is a nice time to remember her and reflect on my good fortune in having excellent parents.
I would be interested in shaving gear that others use that has a connection with their past. I am guessing that there are some interesting combinations out there.

Both of my grandfather's used a Gillette Slim razor, now I have and use both razors. I also have a stash of persona 74 blades and quite a few bottles and decanters of vintage Old Spice that were once my grandfather's. I haven't used any of the blades yet but I do dip into the Old Spice on occasion.

My grandfather had a Erskin U-50 pure badger shaving brush that eventually got passed down to me when I was about 15. My grandfather passed away before I was born and it had gone through my dad and my older brother before I got it. By then it was already past its prime. Recently, after getting involved with B&B, I reknotted it with a Whipped Dog 20 mm Silvertip. It is a very enjoyable brush. I have a son, grandsons, and nephews that have expressed interest in it someday. I think it is wonderful to have that connection.

After my Dad past, I had Mom check for old shaving gear. He'd been using an electric for a few years, but for most of his life he used a Gillette Slim. Dad was an engineer in every way. It made sense that he'd use and appreciate a Slim. Of course, he used canned Barbasol as well.

So, I started with his Slim. Don't use it often, but won't ever sell it.

My favorite, go-to razor is Dad's Krona, which I vividly remember him using when I was a little boy.

Dad worked for a company that also owned a plastics factory, and everybody got a big load of plastic items every Christmas (tumblers, ice-cube trays, pill boxes, night lights, etc). I have repurposed a plastic sugar bowl of his as a lather bowl and an oval tray for displaying razors. Reminds me of film, "The Graduate," and the advice to Hoffman's character to go into plastics (there was a Slim Adjustable in that movie, so I might just have to buy one).

My grandfather's Slim is what got me to try de razors, although my research into the subject led me to acquiring NEWs, which ended up being the first razors I actually used. I do use it on occasion, sometimes just pull it out to admire the design or play with it, but unfortunately I find its performance lacking. Like mr_houston, it's a keeper, if only for the family connection.
proxy.php

There's also the Ever-Ready boar that was my dad's. I turned it down back when I was using carts & canned goo because I didn't see the point. Went missing when I was gathering my initial de supplies & only turned up around a year later. Apparently he only used it once, if at all, before deciding he didn't like it, so it was like new.
proxy.php

My brother has my father's straight razor and Super Speed, I have no idea what happened to his brush. I have a Franklin Toiletries mug from the mid 80s that used to be his. His Old Spice mug disappeared years ago. I still shave with Williams soap because that's what he used. I have been using it off and on since I was 14, I am 52 now. I will probably always use it (but not exclusively).

Edit: The straight razor was a war prize, my father's oldest brother liberated it from some Italian officers' quarters in Tunisia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom