What's new

Lee Iacoccoca has died

He helped the Chrysler Corporation.

So much help that he's frequently blamed for having revived the Chrysler Corporation brand back in the 1980s. Only CEO in modern times to helm 2 of the Big 3 automakers. :2guns:

Why can't we have more leaders like Lee? <sigh>

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Rip
A great business person and an impressive person.
Ill forgive him for the Kcar though. :)

Rip
A great business person and an impressive person.
Ill forgive him for the Kcar though. :)

Nothing to forgive. They were Chrysler's equivalent to the initial offerings from Honda and Toyota et al. People forget that those vehicles were garbage, too. BUT, they were cheap to purchase, inexpensive to operate and, by the time they fell apart, owners were ready to either buy another, or move up in quality of workmanship.

The K Cars were the same thing, just from one of the Big 3 instead. Iacocca's genius was in recognizing that people were willing to make that trade-off, especially if it meant "buying American", and that it would buy Chrysler time to revamp it's product line for the time when consumers were finally fed up.

In terms of the NA auto industry, I do not think it is hyperbole to suggest that his was the most important name in the 20th century after "Ford", at least in terms of impact.

R I P

Mr. I made a huge imprint on the auto industry. Like Mr. Ford, he was a titan.

Mr. I considered running for US President. There was support, but in the end he did not go down that road.

RIP

I studied his work with Ford and Chrysler back in the early eighties when I got my MBA, and still use his work at Chrysler as an example of a corporate culture turnaround now that I'm teaching college. Sadly, I have to educate my students on who he was. The only one who seem to know are the Mustang enthusiasts, and even some of them have no idea.

Bought a new mustang this weekend actually, he was a great man and I will read his book!

Attachments

• 3A34B3AB-DDDB-4B51-AEAD-599609F3F537.jpeg
    3A34B3AB-DDDB-4B51-AEAD-599609F3F537.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Any man who can get the Mustang to market and, later, see the potential of the minivan is a rare breed.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Nothing to forgive. They were Chrysler's equivalent to the initial offerings from Honda and Toyota et al. People forget that those vehicles were garbage, too. BUT, they were cheap to purchase, inexpensive to operate and, by the time they fell apart, owners were ready to either buy another, or move up in quality of workmanship.

The K Cars were the same thing, just from one of the Big 3 instead. Iacocca's genius was in recognizing that people were willing to make that trade-off, especially if it meant "buying American", and that it would buy Chrysler time to revamp it's product line for the time when consumers were finally fed up.

In terms of the NA auto industry, I do not think it is hyperbole to suggest that his was the most important name in the 20th century after "Ford", at least in terms of impact.

R I P
He was a titan indeed.
I think of a wood grain exterior k car and just wince sorry. He made what sold to be sure. The minivan was revolutionary of course.

Been driving since 1963 and the 2 worst cars my wife and I ever owned were Chrysler products. No fault of Lee, as one was a pre-Lee Plymouth and one was a post-Lee Dodge built in Mexico. The Mexican Neon was the worst. The trunk always leaked and smelled of mildew and it blew a head gasket at 30k. Lucky for us, repairs were under warranty. When we picked the car up, we drove it straight to another dealer and traded it in. I would never buy another Dodge or any car (or engine) from Mexico.

Was listening to radio a couple of days ago and in the middle of an unfamiliar Neil Young song I heard him sing "Lee Iacocca". Looked up the song and it is "Ordinary People". Seems to give a tribute to the man himself.

Down on the assembly line,
they keep puttin'
the same thing out.
But the people today,
they just ain't buyin'.
Nobody can figure it out.
Well, they try like hell
to build a quality end,
They're workin' hard
without a doubt,
They're ordinary people.
And the dollar's