What's new

leather = incense?

Me again. Sorry for all the questions lately. I am wondering if anyone else gets a distinct incense smell out of colognes that are supposed to have strong leather notes? Maybe my nose is hasn't learned to pick up a leather note yet, but I grew up riding horses and leather colognes do not smell anything like horses, stables, or saddle leather, IMO.

Me again. Sorry for all the questions lately. I am wondering if anyone else gets a distinct incense smell out of colognes that are supposed to have strong leather notes? Maybe my nose is hasn't learned to pick up a leather note yet, but I grew up riding horses and leather colognes do not smell anything like horses, stables, or saddle leather, IMO.

Leather fragrances certaily have a smoky feel to them, but it is not the same, IMO, as the smoke which comes from incense. Now, one of the truths I have come to realise in my perfumed journey is that the note (leather in this case) does not always smell like the material. This is true for leather, amber, coffee, tobacco, roses, water, oceanic breese, etc. As you correctly sugest on your post, most of us have to learn to pick the lather "note", instead of trying to find the smell of actual leather. I can only remember 3 fragrances that smell like actual leather. Unfortunately, I can only name 1 right now: Dzing!.
Knize 10, Creed REL, English Leather, Cuir d'Iris, Cuir Amethyste, Tabac Blond, Nasomatto duro, John Varvatos, John Varvaos Vintage, Spanish Leather by T&H and GFT, Le Parfum de Therese, Heritage, Idole and others smell more like the chemicals and meterials used to cure lather (oily, resinous, kind of flowery) than the leather itself.

I have to agree with Isaias. I own a few leather scents and have tried a few others and the leathe scent isn't normally an actual leather scent. JV Vintage is a perfect example. It smells like it has mink oil and saddle soap in it but the mink oil and saddle soap are not the dominant notes. Creed REL, to my nose, has a very distinct leather note. Kind of like a nice suede. Again, not the dominant note. Trumper's Spanish Leather is a very well done leather and to me has the most dominant leather notes of the ones I have mentioned so far. Leather with a saddle soapish tinge to it. If you're looking for a leather frag that has some spicy, leathery goodness to it you may wanna check out Trumper's SL.

Top Bottom