What's new

leaking ink

Okay here I am with my first Cross Aventura FP. I'm taking notes at a meeting at church when I look down and.....

7NUZfcn.gif

Not that bad but my right hand had ink all over it. I grab a tissue and wipe it down and within a few minute I have more ink. I look at the pen and there i ink around the base of the nib.
Help! what should I check?
(The older folks at the meeting laughed and said that this is the reason they invented ball point pens..then they told me to just throw it away)

First things I would check is if the cartridge (or converter) is seated properly. It may not be on all the way. That is one way that it could leak. It is also possible it is something more serious, but check this first.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Also it's likely that there is ink in the cap. Be sure to clean the cap out fully.

Just to make sure. You are using Cross cartridges and not a cartridge you bought for one of your other pens?

First things I would check is if the cartridge (or converter) is seated properly. It may not be on all the way. That is one way that it could leak. It is also possible it is something more serious, but check this first.
I have been using this pen on and off for a couple of weeks, just a few words here and there. I haven't done anything to it. Can a Cartridge become loose all by itself?
Also it's likely that there is ink in the cap. Be sure to clean the cap out fully.

Just to make sure. You are using Cross cartridges and not a cartridge you bought for one of your other pens?

This s my first and only FP and this is the cartridge that can wth it.

Yes, it is possible for a cartridge or a converter to come loose on it's own. It's not common, but it can happen. Check that first.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Ink leaking is usually caused by one of three possibilities, and air leak, abuse (dropping the pen, etc) or a defect.

The air leak is the first suspect and it could have several causes, a cracked cartridge, cartridge not fully inserted or wrong cartridge. It's the easiest thing to check and cure. Pull the cartridge. Clean and soak the pen and cap until all ink is gone, then dry. Put the cartridge back in and make sure it is fully seated and that there are no cracks or deformations at the nipple.

If the problem continues then we need to look for other possible leaks such as the nib being loose or a crack in the section.

But first check the easy stuff.

All good advice so far, if I could add my 2 cents.

When you were carrying your pen to church was it upright in a jacket pocket or being carried nib down in a bag or something. Ink can leak past the nib and into the cap, and from there onto the pen and your hands.

Could the pen have become shaken or subject to changes in temperature?

Finally, has the problem repeated itself after the pen has been cleaned up?

All good advice so far, if I could add my 2 cents.

When you were carrying your pen to church was it upright in a jacket pocket or being carried nib down in a bag or something. Ink can leak past the nib and into the cap, and from there onto the pen and your hands.

Could the pen have become shaken or subject to changes in temperature?

Finally, has the problem repeated itself after the pen has been cleaned up?

I haven't cleaned it yet...

I walked to church and had it clipped to the notebook that I was carrying in my hand (Picture a schoolboy on his way to school) so it was swinging with my arm movement.

It is just possible that the leak was down to this action of being swung around. I would follow Jar's advice on cleaning, carry the pen clipped to a pocket, and see if the problem comes back.

No, you shouldn't have to if all is well with the pen.

If there is something wrong, causing ink to flow from the cartridge or converter to the tip of the nib in an uncontrolled fashion, it will be gravity that allows that to happen. It's like a travel mug of coffee. If there is a problem with the lid, you'll never know it as long as you keep it perfectly upright and don't move it around too much.

Small consolation, because if you can't trust it not to leak, what good is the lid in the first place, eh?

There are lots of reasons why you might see a bit of ink when you first open a fountain pen, and you've heard them above. One little drop of ink from the nib into the cap can seem like a lot of ink when that drop comes out onto your hand. Could be the feed has an issue. Could be temperature variation pushing ink out. Could be jostling. Could be an improperly-seated ink compartment.

Your colleagues are right in a sense: Modern ball point pens have fewer of these issues. They may or may not leak (and some do catastrophically), but the variables seem fewer.

i have to ask a very obvious question, how are you holding the pen? ive seen people claim ink leaks when infact they are holding the pen too close to the nib, causing ink to flow on to their fingers. the only pens ive known to be affected by relativly minor movement where my noodlers, all my other pens due to the design of the feed and section are able to be bounced around and still not leak

i have to ask a very obvious question, how are you holding the pen? ive seen people claim ink leaks when infact they are holding the pen too close to the nib, causing ink to flow on to their fingers. the only pens ive known to be affected by relativly minor movement where my noodlers, all my other pens due to the design of the feed and section are able to be bounced around and still not leak

Good question, I hold it on the silver part and never cross over the rib on the bottom..
s0418559_sc7_LI.jpg

Attachments

• s0418559_sc7_LI_Moment.jpg
    s0418559_sc7_LI_Moment.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 6
Good question, I hold it on the silver part and never cross over the rib on the bottom..
View attachment 773817
part of how fountain pen works is by channels in the feed, every pen i have will leak ink if you touch the base of the nib where it touches the section, i would flush the pen well refill it and pay attention to how you carry it, my noodlers will spit out ink if jostled.

For me the test would be if the pen continue to have a leak when it is not being carried in th manner as described.

If the pen leaks, after being carried in a shirt or jacket pocket, and you get inky fingers whilst the pen is in use then there are some other issues besides the movement of the pen causing ink to find its way into the cap.

Okay I totally cleaned the pen. I replaced the empty cart with a convertor. Well I started to write and got ink all over my hands again!:a31:

It is leaking where bottom rib crimps onto the place you hold your fingers.
Studio_20170307_170944.jpg

Everything is tight and converter is seated.

strop

Now half as wise
You might call Customer Service first. I had a similar leaking problem with a Waterman Phileas a few years ago. I found a hairline crack in the section. It turns out the section, feed and nib are a single unit, and I was able to purchase a new nib unit. Especially if yours is under warranty, they may be able to just send you a new section. Worth a phone call, anyway.

I
You might call Customer Service first. I had a similar leaking problem with a Waterman Phileas a few years ago. I found a hairline crack in the section. It turns out the section, feed and nib are a single unit, and I was able to purchase a new nib unit. Especially if yours is under warranty, they may be able to just send you a new section. Worth a phone call, anyway.
I called and customer service said to send it to them. She also added that there is a $10 service fee. I explained that I only paid $20 and she said she would wave the fee.

Top Bottom