What's new

LE Glenmont Progess Thread, and an Introduction....

#21 was waiting for me on my doorstep today. She's a beauty!

Thanks to all who made the group buy possible and hats off to Brian Grey for creating this masterpiece. I haven't had a chance to ink it up yet but I look forward to giving it a test drive this evening.

PS - forgot a shout out to the Goulets (Goulet Pen Company) and Kennedys (Indy Pen Dance) for the goodies that they included with the pen!

Last edited:
Hi Badger and Bladers!

This is Brian Gray with the Edison Pen Company.

I thought that I'd start this thread for a couple of reasons.

One is to have a place to put progress photos and videos for the newly announced Badger and Blade Glenmont LE Pen.

When building this pen, I'm going to document the entire process here in this thread. I'll take photos daily throughout the process, and post them here when appropriate.

Literally....when I start on the project, I'll post a photo of a pile of raw ebonite on my bench. Then at the end, I'll post photos of finished pens in a nice row. And, of course, everything in between.

So the schedule is to start in late-August, early-September once orders are finalized and my materials are here from Germany. At that time, I'll start documenting.

Until then, I thought that I'd take a minute to introduce myself.

I've been making pens off and on for a bit more than 15 years. About 10 years ago, I started a small website, which gave me some part-time income, and provided lots of fun. I did pharmaceutical sales since college, and loved it until around 2004-2005, when it just became super-stressful. Lots of changes. I went through 3 lay-offs in three years. With the third layoff, I said "heck with this", and tried my luck at making pens full time.

Well, good things happen when you work hard, and I've never been happier since this decision to do this full time. It's been just myself and my wife up until this year, when we brought in a part-time employee to help out with loose ends that we have trouble tying up, and we're starting to fill her schedule to where perhaps we can use her full time.

My interest in pens covers the entire gambit. I really love vintage pens, especially flexible Watermans and Swans. I'm also a big fan of early Eversharps. The Snorkel is a wonder of engineering. With Modern pens, I really like what Bexley is doing, along with Dani Trio, Nakaya and Franklin-Christoph, among others. I'm a huge fan of Urushi when I can afford them, or work out a trade.. And then there's nothing at all wrong with very simple Lamy Safaris or Vistas, which are all over my shop. Nothing wrong with a cheap pen and a good steel nib!

So that's my pen background. If anyone has any questions about Edison or pens in general, let me know.

On a personal note, my wife and I have boy who will turn 6 very soon. During the summer, he spends a lot of time out in the shop while we do our thing. He really loves fountain pens. He has his collection of Franken-pens (basically a bunch of mismatched parts thrown together to make a pen), and he also has some pretty special ones which stay in a nice presentation box of his. He LOVES writing secret notes with Noodler's Blue Ghost!

I do have a little background in wetshaving. When I worked for Merck, I used a safety razor and a brush. But doing pens full time, I fall into a habit of only shaving when my whiskers are really itching me! And I've found the safety to be a little more difficult with lots of whiskers. I've recently used a beard trimmer to knock the whiskers back some prior to shaving, and this makes it a lot easier.

I've been lurking around the forum since The Nib started, and I've thrown in a couple of comments here and there. I'll be more active, and maybe you guys can spark me back into wetshaving!

Thanks for allowing me to present you guys with a nice LE pen, and for having a nice forum....I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but this is now probably the second busiest pen forum on the net in only a couple months! Wow!

I'll enjoy spending more time here on your little corner of cyberspace....but if any of you are ever coming through northern Ohio, I welcome visitors!

Brian Gray

proxy.php

OK sorry to do this. But I am fairly new to B&B and have been bitten by the retro bug. That being said, I have some questions about the B&B fountain pen. I have never used a pen like this but would very much like to try. So, should I try a less expensive pen or should I step into the B&B pen (not sure if it is high end or not). Furthermore, I have no idea what size nib I should order or consider. As you can guess I have no idea about ink either. Please advise.

OK sorry to do this. But I am fairly new to B&B and have been bitten by the retro bug. That being said, I have some questions about the B&B fountain pen. I have never used a pen like this but would very much like to try. So, should I try a less expensive pen or should I step into the B&B pen (not sure if it is high end or not). Furthermore, I have no idea what size nib I should order or consider. As you can guess I have no idea about ink either. Please advise.

I'm afraid you're a bit late to get in on this particular pen, and would generally advise something less expensive to start. That said, I've barely written a page with my new Edison, and love it (a Nouveau Premiere).

Maybe start a new thread looking for advice on a starter pen and we can ask questions and help you find a good place to start.

Just received #35. Could not be more pleased. Inked it up with one of the cartridges since it was there. What a nice writer. This will not be my last Edison acquisition. Thanks for putting this B&B acquisition together!!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Welcome to B&B!

... well, the order period for the LE pen has long since passes, so ... :001_unsur ... you'll have to watch the BST if you want to pick one up and someone wants to sell.

But really, you should probably start with something less expensive and see if you like it. You can get all the pen you need for like $25, and a bottle of ink for $12.50 or so ... one good place to start pen-wise is the Pilot 78G, but there are lots of others. A bottle of Noodler's ink (whichever colour tickles your fancy) and you are good to go for a while.

You could always purchase a bottle of ink from Goulet Pens that comes with a free pen. The free pen is no Cadillac but it's more than capable and good enough to get your feet wet. The ink + free pen is only $19, less shipping.

#48 arrived today! Everything about it is fantastic. Thanks Brian and everyone else involved in making this happen. The silicone grease was a nice touch and the ink samples also.

Ben

#56 arrived yesterday, I was able to load it up with 5OS late last night and write a journal entry with it. I am very impressed with the craftsmanship and the nib is very smooth and has great flow on the page. I definitely see myself placing an order with Brian soon as I love his work.

Many thanks to the Goulet's and Indy pen dance for the goodies that was really above and beyond.

I think I need to flush my other pens for storage because I think I will be using this pen exclusively for a while!

My mailman must have finished with it, so today he decided to deliver it at the right time today! #46 safe and sound.
Thank you Brian Gray, B&B, Jim, BrianW, Goulet's and Indy Pen Dance!
I felt compelled to fill it with 5 O'clock Shadow for the first time.

Attachments

• $B&B LE Edison Glenmont.JPG
    $B&B LE Edison Glenmont.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 90
#29 came in yesterday. I'll refrain from taking photographs, as there are already so many out there (and my camera is out of batteries). So far, so great. I love the look of the pen; the dimensions fit my hand extremely well. The fine nib I ordered is great. It is the first, but I predict that this won't be the last Edison pen in my collection.

I put #54 through the paces today. I write all day long, so after filling it with Private Reserve DC Super Violet, I spent the next eight hours with it, using almost all of one converter full of ink. I am delighted with it. I have quite a few fountain pens, including Shaeffer, Mont Blanc, Parker, Bexley, Hero, Waterman and several others. I think this will move into the prime spot in my rotation. It looks great, is the perfect size, and most importantly, L love the way it writes. Thanks to everyone involved in this project. To anyone who starts their foray into fountain pens with the Glenmont, I have to believe you will be smitten. I'm sorry to say that you've fallen victim to yet another AD.

Mike

Dateline New Jersey.......

Ladies and gentlemen: the director of the Mercury Theatre and star of these broadcasts, Orson Welles . . .

Ladies and gentlemen, here is the latest bulletin from the Intercontinental Radio News. Toronto, Canada: Professor Morse of McGill University reports observing a total of three explosions on the planet Mars, between the hours of 7:45 P.M. and 9:20 P.M., eastern standard time. This confirms earlier reports received from American observatories. Now, nearer home, comes a special announcement from Trenton, New Jersey. It is reported that at 8:50 P.M. a huge, flaming object, believed to be a meteorite, fell on a farm in the neighborhood of Grovers Mill, New Jersey, twenty-two miles from Trenton.

The flash in the sky was visible within a radius of several hundred miles and the noise of the impact was heard as far north as Elizabeth.

We have dispatched a special mobile unit to the scene, and will have our commentator, Carl Phillips, give you a word desription as soon as he can reach there from Princeton. In the meantime, we take you to the Hotel Martinet in Brooklyn, where Bobby Millette and his orchestra are offering a program of dance music.

We take you now to Grovers Mill, New Jersey.

(CROWD NOISES . . . POLICE SIRENS)

PHILLIPS: I wish I could convey the atmosphere . . . the background of this . . . fantastic scene. Hundreds of cars are parked in a field in back of us. Police are trying to rope off the roadway leading to the farm. But it's no use. They're breaking right through. Cars' headlights throw an enormous spot on the pit where the object's half buried. Some of the more daring souls are now venturing near the edge. Their silhouettes stand out against the metal sheen.

(FAINT HUMMING SOUND)

One man wants to touch the thing . . . he's having an argument with a policeman. The policeman wins. . . . Now, ladies and gentlemen, there's something I haven't mentioned in all this excitement, but now it's becoming more distinct. Perhaps you've caught it already on your radio. Listen:

(LONG PAUSE) . . .

Do you hear it? It's a curious humming sound that seems to come from inside the object. I'll move the microphone nearer. (PAUSE) Now we're not more then twenty-five feet away. Can you hear it now? Oh, Professor Pierson!

Yes, Mr. Phillips?

Can you tell us the meaning of that scraping noise inside the thing?

Possibly the unequal cooling of its surface.

I see, do you still think it's a meteor, Professor?

I don't know what to think. The Leather casing is definitely extraterrestrial . . . not found on this earth. Friction with the earth's atmosphere usually tears holes in a meteorite. This thing is smooth and, as you can see, of rectangular shape.

Just a minute! Something's happening! Ladies and gentlemen, this is terrific! This end of the thing is beginning to flake off! The top is beginning to open like a coffin! The thing must be hollow!

She's movin'! Look, the darn thing's opening! Keep back, there! Keep back, I tell you! Maybe there's pens in it trying to escape! It's red hot, they'll burn to a cinder! Keep back there. Keep those idiots back!

(SUDDENLY THE CLANKING SOUND OF A HUGE PIECE OF FALLING EBONITE)

OMG....it's a Fountain Pen !!!!!! Could this be the Infamous DUNEDINRANGER long lost pen !!!!!

(LINE SUDDENLY GOES DEAD)

Beware Jersey aliens may have arrived !!!!!!!

:yikes::yikes:

I am on the way to Grover's Mill. I should be there shortly and will file a full report.

Trust me, we learned our lesson from the last time. There will not be a repeat of that debacle. This time, we're taking the local roads north and avoiding those onerous tolls. Though I do have EZ pass for my Martian friends...

Top Bottom