What's new

Lather Catcher without blade stops

I bought a Kampfe Star razor that has no blade stops. I forgot about that point and really wanted a 19th century model.
Those are meant for wedge blades and are, after a fashion, adjustable because the blade guides on the side are fixed and two small screws control how far the blade can go forward.
I was wondering if anyone ever modded a modern SE blade so it can be used in such a razor.

I've been wanting to fashion something like a sabot for a modern blade that would give it the profile of a wedge blade for exactly this purpose, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Something not unlike the different inserts for Dovo's shavettes, but with the thickness of a wedge blade and a place to slot in a modern SE blade. Conceivably you could even make one that took half a DE blade or a full one you could flip over. I wouldn't complain if someone beat me to the idea, though. :wink2:

I havent tried this with a lather catcher with no blade stops, but it worked on one of my Stars with very small stops

I used a wedge blade and a modern blade together like this

The spring tabs on the side put quite a bit of pressure on the blades but Im not sure if they would stay in place with out the bottom stops...

That's perfect!
I actually do have a wedge blade... in a container in a boat making it's way across the Atlantic...

Top Bottom