What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Haha! ,,yeah,, ya' got me! If I only took the time to calculate the thousands I've spent over the past couple of years on these beasts ( instead of lapping films) I'd probably cringe.I really don't want to know just how staggering the number is.

Haha! ,,yeah,, ya' got me! If I only took the time to calculate the thousands I've spent over the past couple of years on these beasts ( instead of lapping films) I'd probably cringe.I really don't want to know just how staggering the number is.

Ask SWMBO.

I'm sure SHE has been keeping track!

Shhhhh! Mums the word!
Really,, she doesn't care in the least what I blow on this stuff. She's more of an enabler. "Well if you want it,,,just get it". So I do.

and yeah,, I was being very conservative on my numbers. This stuff is great!
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I was planning on getting only the 3um and 1um, then going crox pasted balsa or cotton strop.

Bingo!

Oh, and for those interested, here's the unboxing of my granite a few years back:
attachment.php

Yeah, your pictures in the synthetic progression thread are amazing. I can't believe how smooth the edge looks under that magnification. I have pretty sensitve skin, so I am not looking for the sharpest razor of all time, just smooth, irritation free shaving.

I've been using a piece of 24" X 3" tempered float glass from a med. cab.where I can line up my 1 and my 5 at the same time. I also just snagged a 25 pack ( 6X9 ) of both 5 and 1 micron for $11.25 a pack. Seemed reasonable enough at .50 a sheet,, and I get two out of each.

Where did you buy the film?

Last edited:
Right here, they have .3,1,2,5,9,12 &15. I've done several wedges lately with the same strip of film that I've done quite a few other razors on. I wouldn't go to these to set a bevel,, but they work just fine in my experience.
Check Barneykillers response to his wedge I just did for him. Smooth and quiet according to him. I liked it too!

http://www.specialized.net/Specialized/catalog/searchresults.aspx?keywords=lapping+films

Thanks. I've also honed a couple of wedges with no problem.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have played with spritzing the films with 0.5um diamond/chromox blend. Results were inconclusive.

I was thinking more on terms of replicating the scratch patterns of a natural stone on your films rather than the search for the laser sharp edge.

A single nagura on Japanese sites run about 20-30 before shipping, and if you spend more than gosenyen shipping is free.

If you could approximate a jnat feel with 1.00 sheet of film and a 30.00 nagura you would win the Nobel Hone prize!! Although no one would believe you.

Right here, they have .3,1,2,5,9,12 &15. I've done several wedges lately with the same strip of film that I've done quite a few other razors on. I wouldn't go to these to set a bevel,, but they work just fine in my experience.
Check Barneykillers response to his wedge I just did for him. Smooth and quiet according to him. I liked it too!

http://www.specialized.net/Specialized/catalog/searchresults.aspx?keywords=lapping+films

Thanks a bunch! I've looked at other places, but like the selection and prices here best, I think. I'm going to place an order. If anyone wants to split up what I order, let me know as I'll have more than I need!

I was thinking more on terms of replicating the scratch patterns of a natural stone on your films rather than the search for the laser sharp edge.

A single nagura on Japanese sites run about 20-30 before shipping, and if you spend more than gosenyen shipping is free.

If you could approximate a jnat feel with 1.00 sheet of film and a 30.00 nagura you would win the Nobel Hone prize!! Although no one would believe you.

You do realize that you've created quite a challenge....

I've done several wedges lately with the same strip of film that I've done quite a few other razors on. I wouldn't go to these to set a bevel,, but they work just fine in my experience.

I've no doubt that lapping film can put a great edge on a wedge. I've never used a wedge that was honed on film, but I believe it. I loved the edges that Seraphim put on the razors I bought from him, and I'm liking the edges I'm getting from film.
I was just wondering how many wedges you could hone on one sheet of film vs how many hollowed razors you could get off one sheet of film. I don't expect any answer, it was just an idle thought, a question with no point. But considering how much more metal needs removed, I'd guess maybe half as many wedges per sheet. Perhaps I should buy more wedges and find out.

I've been using the films for a couple of months now based Seraphim's and slash's threads with good results. I've just recently picked up a welsh slate for a song that I'm trying to get to know, but they always get finished 0.3um.

Now a pasted strop...methinks that is what I need now.

I would advise anyone who wants to hone their own razors to give this a shot!

Why not simply use the nagura on a C12K?

Or, as I've surmised in the past, simply stop at the lapping film level that best approximates the scratch pattern left by the JNat?

Perhaps we need to collaborate. I font have a JNat. Maybe I'll hone up a GD and send it to you for final finishing on a JNat (NO moron powders after though!). You send it back to me to look at under the scope and we see what we can come up with.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Why not simply use the nagura on a C12K?

Or, as I've surmised in the past, simply stop at the lapping film level that best approximates the scratch pattern left by the JNat?

Perhaps we need to collaborate. I font have a JNat. Maybe I'll hone up a GD and send it to you for final finishing on a JNat (NO moron powders after though!). You send it back to me to look at under the scope and we see what we can come up with.

I think the inconsistent types of cnats may be a problem, where as the 1 micron film would give a consistent substrate. Using Jnats recently it is becoming clear to me that a lot of the effects come from the nagura more than the hone at this point in my learning curve. So in theory a nagura slurry stone on film might work, especially if the film is of a very fine micron size.

I am no expert, but it is an experiment worth trying out. Maybe I need to ship one of my "nuggets" out to you to rub on whatever films you have to experiment. And maybe throw in a jnat/nagura progression honed gold dollar too for reference.

What is the advantage to the scratch patterns on the Jnat? Is it just a means for edge integrity under a loupe or microscope?

I've never shaved off a Jnat edge, so I'm not really sure I understand.

Top Bottom