What's new

Lamy Black to the rescue again

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know I don't get down here very often anymore, but I thought I would post another example of how Lamy Black made a pen usable. About 4 or 5 years ago, I bought a couple Noodler Ahabs and (I think) a Creaper. The Ahabs for me, the Creaper for the granddaughter. She picked Noodler's Tchaikovsky. I could never get the pens dialed in, even after much nib fiddling. I traded the Ahabs to someone who was sure he could get them going, but held on the Creaper, since it was bought for the granddaughter. I tried a couple different inks in it, and finally put it in my desk drawer and forgot about it.

A couple years ago I decided to clean up my late 80's vintage Cross Century fine nib. I always hated how scratchy it wrote, but it held a weird sentimental value to me. Remember the Santa Claus/store scene in the Christmas Story? That was filmed in one of my favorite stores of all times- Higbee's in downtown Cleveland. The store has long gone out of business, but I have always kept the pen. When I decided to give it another whirl, I filled it with Lamy black. It was a whole different pen. It really smoothed out and once again became loved.

Today, I was cleaning my desk, and saw the Noodler pen. I figured "what the heck?", cleaned it up real good, reset the nib, and filled it up with the Lamy. It has only been about 5 hours, and may be too soon to tell, but the thing is writing wonderfully. I have NEVER got good flow from it. Now it is a nice, medium wet flow. Now, to see if the granddaughter still wants it (if she remembers). To those who may be knew, try to remember that a different ink can sometimes make a world of difference.

noodlers.JPG

Hey Owen! It`s been a while. Thanks for sharing your pen story. It`s great that you`ve got the silver bullet Lamy ink that helps iffy pens to write a lot better. That Noodler pen looks great and I hope it`ll keep on writing the way you like it. It`s been a while since I`ve pulled out my Cross Century fountain pen. I love the classic look and a very popular graduation gift back in the day. I can`t believe Christmas is just around the corner.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Excellent success story. Especially with pens pulled from deep in the desk.
Thanks- still wiring well after sitting for 14 hours
Hey Owen! It`s been a while. Thanks for sharing your pen story. It`s great that you`ve got the silver bullet Lamy ink that helps iffy pens to write a lot better. That Noodler pen looks great and I hope it`ll keep on writing the way you like it. It`s been a while since I`ve pulled out my Cross Century fountain pen. I love the classic look and a very popular graduation gift back in the day. I can`t believe Christmas is just around the corner.
Long time, no see. I need to stop in more often. I think, at the time, some viewed Cross as a persons first adult pen.

Thanks- still wiring well after sitting for 14 hours

Long time, no see. I need to stop in more often. I think, at the time, some viewed Cross as a persons first adult pen.
Glad to hear that your pen is still doing good with this Lamy black ink after a 14 hrs !
I can see what you`re saying and that Cross pen are taken as a passage of rite pen. Thankfully it`s not taken too seriously so on the used market they`re selling for less and easier to get. Cross are certainly nice pens.

Yes
And lost their way on design
They are not playing the limited edition or special edition games like other pen makers do. I guess they are probably thinking there is no demand for creating special editions pens? It is good because once you buy a certain line of their pen it doesn`t get phased out in a short time. Certainly good value for money in buying a Cross pen for they aren`t that expensive to begin with for what you get and the style of their pens are rarely changed.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
They are not playing the limited edition or special edition games like other pen makers do. I guess they are probably thinking there is no demand for creating special editions pens? It is good because once you buy a certain line of their pen it doesn`t get phased out in a short time. Certainly good value for money in buying a Cross pen for they aren`t that expensive to begin with for what you get and the style of their pens are rarely changed.
They had in the past. I've got a stifling silver ball point and fountain pen. With vintage black rings. Limited to 2000. But I've had my doubts about that. Still that's my pride and joy although I never use either.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

They had in the past. I've got a stifling silver ball point and fountain pen. With vintage black rings. Limited to 2000. But I've had my doubts about that. Still that's my pride and joy although I never use either.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Sounds nice your pride and joy pen set. You`ve given me an idea and reminded me of something that had happened to me at a pen shop. I`m going to make a new thread about this and it would be nice to hear your thoughts on this if you like? It`s about using one`s highly precious pen or not?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sounds nice your pride and joy pen set. You`ve given me an idea and reminded me of something that had happened to me at a pen shop. I`m going to make a new thread about this and it would be nice to hear your thoughts on this if you like? It`s about using one`s highly precious pen or not?
I'll look for it....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice story, Owen! Lamy never lets you down!
It sure seems that way, Ed. I let the pen sit for 3 days and went back to it- it started writing immediately. I may have to take back all of those nasty thoughts I had about Noodlers and maybe even order another Ahab- I loved the feel of them. I just checked, and the Bumblebee is still available. As a Steelers fan, I need this pen.

It sure seems that way, Ed. I let the pen sit for 3 days and went back to it- it started writing immediately. I may have to take back all of those nasty thoughts I had about Noodlers and maybe even order another Ahab- I loved the feel of them. I just checked, and the Bumblebee is still available. As a Steelers fan, I need this pen.
proxy.php

Top Bottom