What's new

Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around

I've done about 14-15 shaves with Athena over the time I've had it. I deliberately used different blades for each shave to see if there would be any complaints with certain brands and models. It turned out to work great with all the blades, but I liked the Feather and the Gillette Minora the best. The combination of these two blades makes the Athena perform like some of the most aggressive razors, but still very smooth and forgiving.

I've done about 14-15 shaves with Athena over the time I've had it. I deliberately used different blades for each shave to see if there would be any complaints with certain brands and models. It turned out to work great with all the blades, but I liked the Feather and the Gillette Minora the best. The combination of these two blades makes the Athena perform like some of the most aggressive razors, but still very smooth and forgiving.
Try a Wizamet and an Accuforge. Just an awesome shave.

Thanks for all the advice! This time I went with the RR thick bar handle for more weight than the thin bar. Used a perma-sharp blade instead of the GP. Found the right angle early (steep side of neutral) and road it for three passes. Results are amazing. No trouble spots for this razor! No buffing needed.
I entered this pass around with zero intention on buying, this is not a rabbit hole I wanted to go down. Do they make these in stainless? Good thing for my wallet there is none in stock! Feather up next.

Thanks for all the advice! This time I went with the RR thick bar handle for more weight than the thin bar. Used a perma-sharp blade instead of the GP. Found the right angle early (steep side of neutral) and road it for three passes. Results are amazing. No trouble spots for this razor! No buffing needed.
I entered this pass around with zero intention on buying, this is not a rabbit hole I wanted to go down. Do they make these in stainless? Good thing for my wallet there is none in stock! Feather up next.
Theo does make small batches of SS Athenas if there is a demand. If you are interested you should reach out to him and ask to be put on the waitlist. FYI the cost of the SS version was more than the Bronze version. i love mine. Good luck.

What angle does it like steep, neutral, or shallow?
I tried all kinds of angles, including the one most often recommended here, namely the one with the loudest sound. Unlike other colleagues, I do not think that he is the most effective. In my opinion, with the shallow angle, cutting the hairs is the cleanest and easiest. Also, Theo, recommends an angle of 35 degrees. However, if you find your sweet spot on your own, you hardly need anyone to tell you what's right. Athena, there is a wide angle of effectiveness, just find yours.

What angle does it like steep, neutral, or shallow?

I got the best results by using a steep angle/riding the bar. That’s where I noticed the most sound coming from the razor and what others had recommended to listen for. I got a very good shave but it felt like the razor was scraping a little bit.

I expected a hot face and irritation post-shave but never experienced either. It was just a great shave with no issues at all afterwards, even though it kind of felt a little strange during the shave.

I got the best results by using a steep angle/riding the bar. That’s where I noticed the most sound coming from the razor and what others had recommended to listen for. I got a very good shave but it felt like the razor was scraping a little bit.

I expected a hot face and irritation post-shave but never experienced either. It was just a great shave with no issues at all afterwards, even though it kind of felt a little strange during the shave.
So far steep to neutral has worked best for me. It does have a strange or different face feel to it, not sure if it's cause it bronze or not. First time using bronze for me. When I tried going shallow against the grain things didn't work out. Felt kinda sticky or draggy. Steep atg was awesome 😎.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
As it is related: Lambda Athena - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lambda-athena.625826/page-117#post-12697805

Everyone should have an Athena or Ares. This is why I have both. SCNR... if Theo releases a third razor, my wallet is again endangered. Yep, they are marvelous! Not only to behold, they also have supreme shaving characteristics. I just don't like gushing EVEN more than I already do that they are very efficient while being very mild and safe, which is still a marvel for me.

TLDR of the link above: Bronze - SS - Ti... I would rather go by pure LOOKS, then your wallet/money you want to spend, and only THEN as third and least important point consider no patina or lower weight as criterium for your decision.

The Athena is in route to the next participant. I could have kept it another week but I was getting to attached. Best to let her go early. I had five great shaves with her and each one was better than the one before. Would like to thank everyone for their advice it was much appreciated and helpful! Big thanks to @Wgg2017 for doing this pass around!

It’s definitely an easy razor to get attached to, between the performance, unique design, and appearance.

Updated list:

1. rsp1202
2. ewk
3. shaveSymptomatic
4. jesseix
5. Chickencutlets
6. gpjoe
7. Tathlum
8. Evahs
9. Kix
10. Catchacoolbreeze
11. Pineapple

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
It’s definitely an easy razor to get attached to, between the performance, unique design, and appearance.

Updated list:

1. rsp1202
2. ewk
3. shaveSymptomatic
4. jesseix
5. Chickencutlets
6. gpjoe
7. Tathlum
8. Evahs
9. Kix
10. Catchacoolbreeze
11. Pineapple
That plate and top cap must be getting dizzy. Seems like it's traveling FAST. Any chance of adding who's pulled the trigger for one to the list for curiosities sake?

I usually prefer SS but if the cost was much more I’d probably just grab the bronze. Just curious does this razor have much of a smell to it?

I never thought it would bother me but my old brass razors leave a lingering smell on my hands that I don’t care for.

Reactions: Kix
I will give it a good sniff when I go to shave with it. I know what you mean though, my brass Karve has a smell which I don't really care for.
I also have a Karve CB and it has the same smell as the older Gillette brass razors. I’m not a very picky person with finishes or looks but that smell does bother me a little and lingers for awhile. It can be hard to scrub it from your hands.

The Athena looks different and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s non existent with this razor or at least not as bad.

Top Bottom