What's new

Ladies Day/Derringer shoot

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Friday, it turns out, is Ladies Day at the local indoor range.

Which is wonderful. Got to encourage this. They shoot half price. :huh:

But I got to shoot this new High Standard 22 magnum derringer.

And the Ruger SP-101 got a new 10-pound mainspring this week, down from factory 14-pound.

So I've got two function-fires today.

Meant to get there when the doors open, shoot and get out. I generally don't like public ranges, finding them sometimes unsafe. But I got to shoot! :punk: Anyways.

So I lay out my stuff and start shooting...

full

The HS derringer has a long, heavy pull, as noted. But with the right grip, this only serves to help you really hang on to the little devil, and then BOOOM! :devil: Wicked muzzle blast! If there was recoil I never noticed.

Now. Next to me was an awesome lady in yoga pants shooting a Kimber micro and a SiG P365 - very well. Her brass kept raining down on me from over the partition so next thing I know we're having a regular chat, like knowledgeable strangers usually do on the range. Shooters are a fraternity.

Oh. Back to the Derringer. To my utter and total surprise, after some trial and error, I'm getting decent groups. "Aim low, squeeze slow," and then the fireball!

full

Pretty much I was aiming in between the two bottom bulls and got this group. Ten yards. CCI solid 40-gainers. There appear to be a few rounds keyholing, interesting. Not necessarily a bad thing.

And the Ruger shot fine too. Super smooth and light DA pull now. Add that new Meprolite tritium blade from last month and I've got a much improved carry.

Just about then Amber and the crew came in. These ladies had never shot a gun before, but brought one know-it-all woman with them. They were there ahead of me, but it took them that long to rent eyes/ears, decide on "hostage" targets, etc.

I kept shooting, but danger sensors were operating. The owner of the range watched like a hawk, but finally had to rush in. The girls comments were a mix of cute and really disconcerting.

My new shooting buddy Yoga Pants and I looked at each other, and we got the heck out of there.

AA

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My .38 beats your .22. :c1:

1604085537181.png

Nice shooting, especially with two barrels that have two different points of impact. Looks like something I wouldn't mind carrying around in a pocket.

How was the Ruger? Years ago I played with a spring kit in my S&W; the lightest mainspring was real sloppy, and the mid power one was okay, but I went back to the factory one. Put in the trigger return spring that was just below the factory weight and shot the hell outa it for a few years. Still have the light one...somewhere. That action is slicker than owl s**t on a doorknob now days.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My .38 beats your .22. :c1:

View attachment 1175792

Nice shooting, especially with two barrels that have two different points of impact. Looks like something I wouldn't mind carrying around in a pocket.

How was the Ruger? Years ago I played with a spring kit in my S&W; the lightest mainspring was real sloppy, and the mid power one was okay, but I went back to the factory one. Put in the trigger return spring that was just below the factory weight and shot the hell outa it for a few years. Still have the light one...somewhere. That action is slicker than owl s**t on a doorknob now days.

I see it. :kyle1:

Dunno. Says F. I. E., Miami on the barrel... Truly a gambler's pistol! :lol:

At this point, I'd like to at least shoot one of those Bond Derringers, but not sure I'd buy one. Two shots make for a short engagement, but a nasty surprise. 38/357 would be the caliber I'd pick, as well.

Speaking of surprises, the range had the Hornady SD ammo in 22 magnum, got three boxes! Take my money please!

Wolff does give you three mainsprings, 9, 10 and 12 pounds. From what I read the 10 is most popular and did work fine for me.

Hm, wonder if Yoga Pants will be there next Friday? Likely not, if she wants to dodge the dangerous rookies.

That range needs an NRA instruction class specifically for women, IMO. The real range I go to has a female RSO.

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Friday, it turns out, is Ladies Day at the local indoor range.

Which is wonderful. Got to encourage this. They shoot half price. :huh:

But I got to shoot this new High Standard 22 magnum derringer.

And the Ruger SP-101 got a new 10-pound mainspring this week, down from factory 14-pound.

So I've got two function-fires today.

Meant to get there when the doors open, shoot and get out. I generally don't like public ranges, finding them sometimes unsafe. But I got to shoot! :punk: Anyways.

So I lay out my stuff and start shooting...

full

The HS derringer has a long, heavy pull, as noted. But with the right grip, this only serves to help you really hang on to the little devil, and then BOOOM! :devil: Wicked muzzle blast! If there was recoil I never noticed.

Now. Next to me was an awesome lady in yoga pants shooting a Kimber micro and a SiG P365 - very well. Her brass kept raining down on me from over the partition so next thing I know we're having a regular chat, like knowledgeable strangers usually do on the range. Shooters are a fraternity.

Oh. Back to the Derringer. To my utter and total surprise, after some trial and error, I'm getting decent groups. "Aim low, squeeze slow," and then the fireball!

full

Pretty much I was aiming in between the two bottom bulls and got this group. Ten yards. CCI solid 40-gainers. There appear to be a few rounds keyholing, interesting. Not necessarily a bad thing.

And the Ruger shot fine too. Super smooth and light DA pull now. Add that new Meprolite tritium blade from last month and I've got a much improved carry.

Just about then Amber and the crew came in. These ladies had never shot a gun before, but brought one know-it-all woman with them. They were there ahead of me, but it took them that long to rent eyes/ears, decide on "hostage" targets, etc.

I kept shooting, but danger sensors were operating. The owner of the range watched like a hawk, but finally had to rush in. The girls comments were a mix of cute and really disconcerting.

My new shooting buddy Yoga Pants and I looked at each other, and we got the heck out of there.

AA
I think we deserve yoga pants pictures. :)

I avoid shooting Sunday afternoon and around Hollidays , there are too many dangers. Or if kids are running around. And one last thing: bring a 357 snubbie or AR pistol, the noise usually scares bimbos away from the next line. They will move as far as posible if shooting indoors.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, now with it being Halloween and a full moon too, google video:

In Living Color
Trail Mix A Lot "Baby Got Snacks."

And if your missing a handgun, I'm pretty sure somebody sat on it and it got picked up ...

AA

Top Bottom