What's new

La Lorraine?

“When did I say or elude to the idea I had/have a “problem” with an Arkansas “stone?”

I came across a La Lorraine. About $100, word has it that the stone is somewhat like a cross between a BBW and yellow coticule.
I'm waffling between it and a Shapton 16k. I realize they are two completely different rocks. I own a La Veinette and a BBW. Highest grit hone (s) I currently have are a Naniwa 12k SS, Zulu Grey, and Coe Arkansas Grey. Any insight as to what might be the better path?”

If not a problem and you are getting stellar edges off you Arks, what is it that you are looking for with Slates or the 16k?

Proper Ark edges are keen and comfortable.
And can far surpass any slate I've found and I've run through quite a few. I don't know about synths.

It is said variety is the spice of life. Exploring the nuances of different stones, brushes, razors, blades, soaps, creams, etc. is one of the reasons I find myself enjoying this pastime.
Were I to have not decided to venture into the wonderful world of seeing what other shave items can/cannot do and merely stuck with what I entered into the arena (and actually worked rather well) I would have a $25 Omega brush, 7/8 Hart Steel straight razor, and a supply of Aramis shave soap. All quite serviceable.
I initially cut my chops on a Norton
4k/8k stone. Graduated to a coticule (which I still use often).
All functional. Still have everything mentioned except the Aramis soap and Norton.
So, methinks I shall continue the quest. I’m in contact with Mr. Coe at the moment to discuss a possible acquisition of a Calico hone. My philosophy is how can you properly evaluate and discuss the merits of an item unless you try said item and decide first hand if it’s worthwhile?

The Coe Calico is a pretty nice stone. I had one for some time but traded it to @Matt O

Didn't find the slurry stone to be of any benefit but you might

Top Bottom