What's new

L 1 Super Speed?

2CCC1BA2-8573-4B9E-9B05-7491BE84E25F.jpeg

picked up this razor last week since I didn’t have a Flair Tip and, well I just can’t stop buying vintage Gillettes. I also noticed it did not have those two rings on the TTO knob like other FTips. Mr Razor has pics of very similar razors however none marked L1 like mine here. Can any of you gentlemen recognize it? Perhaps provide the date it was made? Thank you

1st quarter of 1966. Flair tip Super Speed... Nice mild shaver.
Nice! Thank you for that. Where does one find this information. I have been collecting lately and Beside Mr Razors work I haven’t found many definitive resources for dating.

Nice! Thank you for that. Where does one find this information. I have been collecting lately and Beside Mr Razors work I haven’t found many definitive resources for dating.
Most Google searches will bring you to mr.razor, here or another forum. It's a great community, always someone to help.
I've been collecting vintage Gillette over 10 years now, check out the BST threads, you'll have no problem expanding your collection and interests :)
Early on Gillette used serial numbers, around 1950 or so went to letter and date codes. The letter is the year, number the quarter. For some reason I always work from knowing "E" is 1959 and go forward and backwards from there.

Most Google searches will bring you to mr.razor, here or another forum. It's a great community, always someone to help.
I've been collecting vintage Gillette over 10 years now, check out the BST threads, you'll have no problem expanding your collection and interests :)
Early on Gillette used serial numbers, around 1950 or so went to letter and date codes. The letter is the year, number the quarter. For some reason I always work from knowing "E" is 1959 and go forward and backwards from there.
I like that idea with E. I can definitely use that. Razors Emporium seems to have nice chart of date codes as well. I live next to a small Midwest town full of wonderful little antique stores. I find myself sneaking off there after work to go hunting lately I love it. The owners are starting to recognize when I walk in. I very much appreciate the help here , this forum never stops impressing me.

I like that idea with E. I can definitely use that. Razors Emporium seems to have nice chart of date codes as well. I live next to a small Midwest town full of wonderful little antique stores. I find myself sneaking off there after work to go hunting lately I love it. The owners are starting to recognize when I walk in. I very much appreciate the help here , this forum never stops impressing me.
Just remember working backwards, Z is after A, so Z is 1954, Y 53 etc...

Right at the top of this forum is a wealth of information.

Right at the top of this forum is a wealth of information.

Well then....that is everything I ever needed consolidated right there isn't it? Right under my nose the whole time on a forum I have been using for a few months now.... I scare myself sometimes

Top Bottom