What's new

Koraat 14 2.0?

one is in the BST right now. I love mine, my favorite.
Thanks for the tip, I bought it. I seldom trawl the BTS because most of the stuff is from the USA. With shipping and import taxes to the UK, it's not worth it in most cases. Turns out this one was in the UK, so I jumped at the opportunity.

For longer than a year I have not bought any other razor except for Filarmonicas. After my first one, I simply believe it doesn't get any better than a Fili 14. The only other razor that tempted me is the Koraat.

Hope it measures up to it's excellent reputation.

Thanks for the tip, I bought it. I seldom trawl the BTS because most of the stuff is from the USA. With shipping and import taxes to the UK, it's not worth it in most cases. Turns out this one was in the UK, so I jumped at the opportunity.

For longer than a year I have not bought any other razor except for Filarmonicas. After my first one, I simply believe it doesn't get any better than a Fili 14. The only other razor that tempted me is the Koraat.

Hope it measures up to it's excellent reputation.

Let me know how it compares to your other Fili's

Let me know how it compares to your other Fili's

Got the razor today, and I am truly in love with the way it looks! Photos can't do it justice.

Exactly what I like a razor to be - Simple, clean lines and finished to perfection. For me a razor is a tool, beautiful in it's most basic design and efficiency.

Scales - I like plastic scales because I believe it's the best material for a wet environment. I am very impressed with the finish of the scales and balance, it feels good in my hand.

Blade - Grind looks perfect with a very thin grind, again my favourite type of grind. What stands out is the crisp lines which to me, shows precision of a master craftsman. Jimping is quite aggressive, and although not something that I regard as super important, just shows again it was well-made.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to shave with it today, I put my shave off as long as I could, hoping it will turn up in time, it turned up just as I was on my second pass with another razor.

I will definitely try it tomorrow.

Had my first shave today with the Koraat, and I am very impressed to say the least.

I have heard some say that they are good, but different from Filarmonicas. Maybe it depends on the grind, but mine is the thinnest, and I can honestly say the shave is very similar, if not exactly the same, as any of my Fili 14's. Very smooth, and lots of feedback. Effortless efficiency. Absolutely love it!

Those of you that have read some of my comments will know that I am a Fili14 fan through and through. I like the Koraat enough to say that if I were ever offered a choice between a mint condition Fili14 and a Koraat 14-2.0 with the thin grind, it will be a hard choice to make.

Sentiment and history aside, the Koraat will probably be the best choice. I hope Her Ulrich has an apprentice that will carry on after he retires and produce the same quality razors.

Maybe I should consider re-mortgaging the house and order six more to make a seven day set, identical blades, different scales, just to be sure I am never going to run out! :c4:

I had two great shaves with the Koraat, but something was bothering me.

I know for a fact that all Koraat razors are factory honed with tape and the seller also said he honed it with a single layer of tape. Because I strop on pasted balsa after every shave, I think it best to have a bevel that was set without tape. It just removes any doubt that your edge is making good contact with the balsa.

Did it need to be honed? No the edge was fine.

Did I want to hone it? Yes, I don’t see a razor as mine until I have honed it. I will keep on doubting it until I have done it. OCD? Maybe, but that’s the difference between a hobby and a chore. After all, I usually only have to do it once, so I am not concerned about undue hone wear.

Set the bevel on a 3k, honed to 12k. Balsa progression to .1 micron.

Now for the true test, another opportunity to test my skills that I have attained over the last three years. I hoped that the shave will be at least as good as the previous two shaves, and I was not disappointed.

I would judge it as slightly better, sharp enough to not feel sharp, but smooth. Experience has shown me that it will improve slightly over the next few shaves so I am thrilled. Mission accomplished, it’s mine now, all of it!

Great razor!

I had two great shaves with the Koraat, but something was bothering me.

I know for a fact that all Koraat razors are factory honed with tape and the seller also said he honed it with a single layer of tape. Because I strop on pasted balsa after every shave, I think it best to have a bevel that was set without tape. It just removes any doubt that your edge is making good contact with the balsa.

Did it need to be honed? No the edge was fine.

Did I want to hone it? Yes, I don’t see a razor as mine until I have honed it. I will keep on doubting it until I have done it. OCD? Maybe, but that’s the difference between a hobby and a chore. After all, I usually only have to do it once, so I am not concerned about undue hone wear.

Set the bevel on a 3k, honed to 12k. Balsa progression to .1 micron.

Now for the true test, another opportunity to test my skills that I have attained over the last three years. I hoped that the shave will be at least as good as the previous two shaves, and I was not disappointed.

I would judge it as slightly better, sharp enough to not feel sharp, but smooth. Experience has shown me that it will improve slightly over the next few shaves so I am thrilled. Mission accomplished, it’s mine now, all of it!

Great razor!

I had heard the same thing about factory honing with tape. But I immediately rehoned without tape. It just seems easier to me. The hone wear produced from resetting the bevel without tape is almost unnoticeable.

Top Bottom