What's new

Koraat 14 2.0?

I kinda want one. I have a small stable of very nice razors that I rotate through but these seem especially nice.
Anyone have one? Got any pics to share, pros and cons?

I bought one several months ago from the BST and it is amazing. If I did not have one already I would be on that like a duck on a june bug. Someone else might as well enjoy a Koraat.

The Koraat is an absolutely amazing razor, without a doubt. The one in the BST is with the thinned belly option... which is the closest thing to the Filarmonica 14. They don't get any thinner than that. I would be tempted to buy one from the BST, as opposed to buying one direct from Ulrik (saves you having to spend a few months on the waiting list).

This is mine.
69AA9D49-F37B-4DBE-8C55-6700ACA2AD7C.jpeg

I have two (one full hollow bellied, one extra hollow thinned belly). Both are wonderful and the price is quite fair for such quality and craftsmanship

The Koraat is an absolutely amazing razor, without a doubt. The one in the BST is with the thinned belly option... which is the closest thing to the Filarmonica 14. They don't get any thinner than that. I would be tempted to buy one from the BST, as opposed to buying one direct from Ulrik (saves you having to spend a few months on the waiting list).
I didn't realize that Fili 14s had bellied hollow grounds. I just thought they were super thin. Thanks for the info.

I have one and really like it. I have a lot of razors, but I find an excuse to use it most weeks. Mine has the “tough beard option” so a touch heavier from the belly to the edge. One of the fun parts of ordering from Ulrik is getting to tweak the grind that you want.

FE259466-833B-4900-ACF1-ABB81853E381.jpeg

Sir, He said the opposite. The Koraat 14 2.0 he mentioned has the thinned belly ground (= no belly), which more closely resembles the original Filarmonica 14.

I'm sorry. I am new to this section! When I looked at his website, he calls it a "rounded 'thin' belly" and attaches this picture. I thought Filis were just super thin (like post 13 of this thread) without the bump in this picture near the edge. Maybe my wording is off. Very sorry. The picture is post 13 looks much thinner than this one to my eye.

1628229273825.png

I'm sorry. I am new to this section! When I looked at his website, he calls it a "rounded 'thin' belly" and attaches this picture. I thought Filis were just super thin (like post 13 of this thread) without the bump in this picture near the edge. Maybe my wording is off. Very sorry. The picture is post 13 looks much thinner than this one to my eye.

View attachment 1307668

Sir, there is no need to apologize. I agree with you that it is a wording problem. No one in this thread said that Filis had bellies, they don't. What we are saying is that the closest Koraat 14 2.0 to a Fili is the one with the thinned belly option, that's all. This doesn't mean they will shave the same. In fact, I own both and I think they are both wonderful, but not the same.

Also, below you will find how Koraat themselves describe the 14 2.0. Not a copy, but their own interpretation.

"We use the same base design but have changed some details to make it our own. That´s what 2.0 stands for, because we have made a new version and not a copy.
Like the ancient 14 blades, ours are also dropforged in Solingen from finest „Silversteel“ DIN 1.2210, AISI L2, and are hardened to about 65 hrc.
The blade has a singing bellied full hollow grind and measures 24mm (15/16“). The finish is a very fine and gentle polished satin finish."

These are my specimen:

Standard Koraat 14 2.0 with belly
1.jpg
3.jpg

Extra full hollow 14 2.0 with thinned belly as they say. This is the one that "is the closest" to the original Filis, but note it still has a small belly, as does the one in post #13
1 (1).jpg

3 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Sir, there is no need to apologize. I agree with you that it is a wording problem. No one in this thread said that Filis had bellies, they don't. What we are saying is that the closest Koraat 14 2.0 to a Fili is the one with the thinned belly option, that's all. This doesn't mean they will shave the same. In fact, I own both and I think they are both wonderful, but not the same.

Also, below you will find how Koraat themselves describe the 14 2.0. Not a copy, but their own interpretation.

"We use the same base design but have changed some details to make it our own. That´s what 2.0 stands for, because we have made a new version and not a copy.
Like the ancient 14 blades, ours are also dropforged in Solingen from finest „Silversteel“ DIN 1.2210, AISI L2, and are hardened to about 65 hrc.
The blade has a singing bellied full hollow grind and measures 24mm (15/16“). The finish is a very fine and gentle polished satin finish."

These are my specimen:

Standard Koraat 14 2.0 with belly
View attachment 1307669View attachment 1307672

Extra full hollow 14 2.0 with thinned belly as they say. This is the one that "is the closest" to the original Filis, but note it still has a small belly, as does the one in post #13
View attachment 1307670
View attachment 1307671
Fantastic. Thank you for the clear explanation. I very much appreciate the pictures and clarification. I see exactly what you mean.

ETA - I just re-read your quote from their website. I didn't realize they were using the same steel as Filis. For some reason, I **thought** I read on here that no one really knew the type of steel they used.

On a completely other note - do you notice a difference in the shave between the single and double shoulder? The double shoulder looks very unique to me but I am uncertain of its function. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Fantastic. Thank you for the clear explanation. I very much appreciate the pictures and clarification. I see exactly what you mean.

ETA - I just re-read your quote from their website. I didn't realize they were using the same steel as Filis. For some reason, I **thought** I read on here that no one really knew the type of steel they used.

On a completely other note - do you notice a difference in the shave between the single and double shoulder? The double shoulder looks very unique to me but I am uncertain of its function. Thank you again!
Hard to tell as the grindings are different, and I think it has a much bigger impact on the shaving result than the number of shoulders. I like the single shoulder more, aesthetically and functionally (easier to strop and hone in my experience)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
To add further confusion, the ‘belly’ is also called a horizontal stabilizer, it stiffens and strengthens the thin steel near the edge.

Top Bottom