What's new

Knot reshaping

Anyone have a guide or tips on how to trim a bulb into a fan shape? I have a quite high end badger knot i've never really got on with and want to see if it can be improved but i also don't want to mess it up.

Yep. You will be taking away the fine tips of the hair. Don't cut them. JMO.

BTW, I love a fan-shaped knot. It's worth buying one to see how nice they are.

I would not trim a badger, boar or synthetic brush. The hairs are arranged to have the natural tips which are finer as the tips of the brush. ( or man made tips resembling natural in the case of a synthetic) the tips are softer and the shape of the knot is achieved buy the way the hairs are arranged before gluing the knot together. If you trim the ends you will expose the courser middle section of the hairs, the result would most likely be an unpleasantly scratchy brush. At least this is my understanding of brush making. A horse hair brush is made from the horse's mane or tail hairs that are trimmed. Or a combination of the two mixed together. Since they are trimmed anyway I would assume it would be OK to trim a horse hair brush but I'm not positive about that.

That is a sure way to turn a high end badger knot into a very low end knot. Start over. Don't get rid of the bulb brush until you try a fan. I'm not a fan of a fan.

All great advice from the members above. DO NOT try to change the shape...you'll wind up unhappy with a piece of junk at the end.

Top Bottom