Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Forest City Fern
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
20240229_084740.jpg

In catching up with multiple threads on this razor, I may have missed comments about the shaving angle.

I'm obsessive about ergonomics design, and the shaving angle is a big fail to me for two reasons (possibly more).

Likely purchasers come from either the DE community or from cart shaving, where a shallower angle is the norm.

Holding a razor in a near flat orientation (handle near perpendicular) is unintuitive, inefficient, and difficult to control. If you gave someone a push broom, they would intuitively hold the handle at a 30-45 degree angle from vertical. Of course, the design nandates this, but it was done for a good reason: physics.

Changing the head angle to accommodate this is a simple design problem.

The only reason I can come up justifying with this design flaw is faithfulness to history. I believe Schick injectors shave "shallow".

As you can tell, I don't have a broad range of experience with SE razors (or any, for that matter) but one thing is clear to me: repeating the errors of the past is ill-conceived.

[/rant]

Perhaps this is the wrong thread to post this (being a brotherhood thread) , and I'm open to learning what I'm missing. What better thread to learn about this than from its fans?

... Thom

The angle is very intuitive with use, like with most injectors. One just puts the head flat against your skin, then angle the handle down just a few degrees until it starts cutting. Yes, the handle is much higher off the face than a DE, but it feels natural. The Supply is quite heavy and vintage Schicks are quite light. That may draw you one way or another.

Holding a razor in a near flat orientation (handle near perpendicular) is unintuitive
I would have to dig out one of my old posts because I have measured the actual angle. The razor is used with a blade angle of 15-20 degrees which alone would make the handle angle less than straight out. I want to say that the final handle angle is 45° give or take 5°. I admit that doesn't negate your point, it only blunts it slightly. :wink2:

One of the downsides of the Supply design is that if the handle is allowed to slip, one can get skin under the blade. The safety bar isn't as effective as the vintage Schicks where the blade will lift.

I would have to dig out one of my old posts because I have measured the actual angle. The razor is used with a blade angle of 15-20 degrees which alone would make the handle angle less than straight out. I want to say that the final handle angle is 45° give or take 5°. I admit that doesn't negate your point, it only blunts it slightly. :wink2:

One of the downsides of the Supply design is that if the handle is allowed to slip, one can get skin under the blade. The safety bar isn't as effective as the vintage Schicks where the blade will lift.
A 45 degree handle angle sounds very nice (intuitive). A handle held perpendicular to the face OTOH (when at the correct shaving angle) ... well ... you know.

Thanks for clarifying. So now ... I'm back to being curious :letterk1:

... Thom

None of my injector razors require me to shave with the handle perpendicular to my face, and my collection goes back to the original Schick type A Magazine Repeating Razor.
20210826_153812.jpg

The design is sound and works well. It's not a mistake, it's just a bit different.

Top Bottom