What's new

Knife Sharpening...

Ahoy ther B&B'ers! Hope I got the right forum for this. I am looking to sharpen my knives at the house and wanted to know what would be the best route to do this. I am not looking to set up a knife sharpening shop so I can do the whole the block. But that would make me a well liked guy in the neighborhood, right? All in all I have no qualms with being that guy, but that is the route I am NOT going for. So just want to get an idea of something basic to take care of my needs without having to buy 80 specialized items. Thoughts? Go!

There's many ways. You can get the Lansky "system", the Lansky preset ceramic sticks, a simple tri-hone where you free-hand it (which is what I usually end up doing). There are more expensive systems and I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to describe those as well.

There's many ways. You can get the Lansky "system", the Lansky preset ceramic sticks, a simple tri-hone where you free-hand it (which is what I usually end up doing). There are more expensive systems and I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to describe those as well.
Thanks for the info. Is this a some experience required item or just as long as I am not an idiot I'll get good results? As far as those advocating the "expensive" sets, I'll take a look...
@WetShavinSailor
I have one of these I keep in my desk at work for my little pocket knife....
Easycamp Knife Sharpener buy and offers on Trekkinn

and one similar to this for kitchen knives.
Home - Miracle Sharpener

I'm not obsessive about the knives but I do like sharpness.
Not obsessive either, just want some good cutting knives when I get home. Wife is talking about new knives and as I like buying things, not wanting to replace $150 knife set just because it is dull.

Those two sharpeners I use are smarter than I am so it's a piece of cake.
Two or three surfaces to sharpen with and done.
And, yes, I have mixed collection of acquired knives almost none of which match but they all are sharp enough to do the job. I can't see spending a chunk of change for new knives.

Thanks for the info. Is this a some experience required item or just as long as I am not an idiot I'll get good results? As far as those advocating the "expensive" sets, I'll take a look...

I think most systems are easy and give good results. Free-handing with a hone takes a little experience as you have to hold the knife at the correct angle (by experience). The other, more involved systems actually probably take less skill and/or experience.

They hold the knifes at the correct angle making it "idiot-prove". So of the one-size fits all, inexpensive kitchen sharpeners supposedly are very good and take off too much metal. I don't have any of those so I can't say for sure.

I have to +1 on this:

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a very simple system that works for most knives.

Only caveat is that when used for the first time on a very dull blade it can take a while - IMHO it should be called "Sharpkeeper" to be more accurate. Also not good for straight razors.... :=)

br,
tom

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd say you want to either go with a quick-n-easy all-in-one tool for a basic sharpening, or you want to get a few hones/stones and engage in a rudimentary "real" sharpening.

proxy.php

vs.

proxy.php

With the latter, one key is being able to maintain the same "proper" angle of the knife to the hone throughout. There's a plastic do-hickey you can get for the knife spine to assist with that ...

proxy.php

Down which of these paths were you thinking of going?

Also not good for straight razors.... :=)

Those with experience in both areas will readily concur ... sharpening knives and sharpening straight razors are two totally different things.

I have a Chef's Choice three stage electric sharpener and a Spyderco Sharpmaker system. I prefer the Spyderco by a wide margin. I found the electric to be a bit too aggressive in taking off too much metal on your knives.

The Spyderco does an excellent job and is relatively easy to use. If you go with the basic Spyderco system I would all the Diamond Triangle pair. It makes sharpening dull knife very fast. And if you want your knives extra sharp, add the ultrafine triangle to the mix.

I use a couple of grit diamond stones for dull knives and a ceramic to finish off but I do not have expensive knives.

proxy.php

I'd say you want to either go with a quick-n-easy all-in-one tool for a basic sharpening, or you want to get a few hones/stones and engage in a rudimentary "real" sharpening.

vs.

With the latter, one key is being able to maintain the same "proper" angle of the knife to the hone throughout. There's a plastic do-hickey you can get for the knife spine to assist with that ...

Down which of these paths were you thinking of going?

Those with experience in both areas will readily concur ... sharpening knives and sharpening straight razors are two totally different things.
I guess I was thinking of the stone as pictured in the latter. But a system easy to use...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I still typically rely on the Accusharp. It's under $10. It's quick and simple. It works well, even on serrated blades. It just hangs out in the kitchen drawer until it's needed.

I wouldn't use it on super fine expensive knives, but I don't have anything fancier than a Victorinox.
b78ea46d-36dc-4b7b-9f7b-a767b9063529_1.5249656703d5483d69000e52b424a422.jpeg

I enjoy free handing knives. I've been finishing on a Washita lately with good results. Most of the time, it's the only stone I need.

Beware: I have more sharpeners and whet rocks than I do razors.

For run of the mill sharpening, preset carbide and ceramic sharpeners work well enough. I use the carbide when the edge is just gone, and work my way up. I once received a set of kitchen knives that had no edge, and this worked nicely to get them sharp enough to use.

Be aware that not all of these preset sharpeners are the same, and big name is no guarantee of quality. I have a Smith's pocket sharpener that I only keep because it has a small, conical, diamond coated sharpener that works well for small serrated blades. My favorite is a cheap no-name pocket sharpener that runs rings around the aforementioned Smith's. It's similar to the EasyCamp sharpener seen above, and about half the price.

That doesn't mean all Smith's products are bad. I have two, one for the kitchen and another that was a gift, and they both work really well. It's just that even well known names can have clunkers.

While I can use the presets for a quick edge, I can't get hair shaving sharpness out of one. For that I have to turn to whet rocks. I have a pocket diamond coated one that works well, as well as a larger diamond coated "stone." I also have a couple of three-grit sharpener. But I usually use a Smith's synthetic stone that came with a carbide edge setter, then move up to a Smith's soft Arkansas stone, then finish with a hard Arkansas stone. That gets them pretty sharp.

The question, though, is whether a kitchen knife needs to be that sharp. It seems that the sharper the blade, the quicker it dulls.

Top Bottom