What's new

Klar Kabinett Shaving Soap 500g

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
how about these guys? or is this a different line?

http://www.manmachine.co/klar-klassik-shaving-soap.html

Different stuff, Kabinett comes in two long bars wrapped in paper.
$kabinett_rasierseife.jpg

The Kabinett is really a steal. It´s easily on my best performing soaps list. The postage is what sucks for everyone- no matter where you live. The good news: 500 grams.. Will last.

D

Deleted member 48987

Question: are you guys grating the bars into pucks?

I got my order and have used it a couple of times. I cut off a small chunk of one bar and used it like you would a stick. Works like a champ'

I like it - certainly a keeper. But then, I like many soaps. I'm a soap slut.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Question: are you guys grating the bars into pucks?

No, it's really pretty soft so just slice off a chunk and push it into your mug/bowl. I feel it stays fresher without the grating ... a quarter inch thick slice lasts for weeks.

No, it's really pretty soft so just slice off a chunk and push it into your mug/bowl. I feel it stays fresher without the grating ... a quarter inch thick slice lasts for weeks.

+1 what Nemo wrote. This soap was never intended to be grated and I can´t see the point in doing so- it´s not hard as a rock. This soap was originally produced for barbers. When I asked the forum a while back how the barbers themselves would have used it one German member was pretty sure that they just cut a chunk and tossed it into a mug. The soap is soft enough to even out the edges with your fingers in a container of your choice.

I've been using mine as a stick and it works great that way. But for those who prefer a bowl, sure, cut off a chunk and squash it in. It's stiff, but malleable. Excellent soap either way.

I've been using mine as a stick and it works great that way. But for those who prefer a bowl, sure, cut off a chunk and squash it in. It's stiff, but malleable. Excellent soap either way.

Agreed. There is really no right way and you will not be caught by the shaving police if you grate it or use it as a stick. My main concern is that I would like to preserve the scent for a long time. That´s the reason why I slice a chunk and put the rest back in double zipper bags. The scent still slips through though the plastic. Hmm.. I might go for a glass jar. Any opinions of how you fellows store your Kabinett bars?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My main concern is that I would like to preserve the scent for a long time. That´s the reason why I slice a chunk and put the rest back in double zipper bags. The scent still slips through though the plastic. Hmm.. I might go for a glass jar. Any opinions of how you fellows store your Kabinett bars?

I store it like you, Henrik, and I still have good scent after two years. Single bag though. :001_smile

I store it like you, Henrik, and I still have good scent after two years. Single bag though. :001_smile

Good to know. I remember that Marco asked old school barbers in Italy of how they store their kilo bricks of Cella and they all replied plastic bags. (Dark storage, even temperature, no need to put in a freezer). However I will probably toss my bars in a glass jar nonetheless.
Oh, and if a shaving police squad actually do exist I think they have more serious crimes to bother about then how Kabinett people uses their soaps. (People using canned foam perhaps?).
I wonder what the stiffest penalty would be if you get caught? Life time sentence using Mach 3..? NEVER to be able to change blades in your razor again..?

Oops? First bar I had I cut it to the rough shape of my bowl, grated the sides to fit, and poured the gratings around the edges. This last time I grated enough to fill the bowl. Working fine so far! And I, too, have a chunk I take on the road as a "sort of" shaving stick; works great!

I just tried Klar Kabinett, for the first time, this morning.
I was "ballsy" and just went with it, based on instinct. I loaded my brush and saw what the lather was all about, in a mug, then decided to work it some more on my face. While my lather wasn't perfect, I can tell that I am going to really like this stuff! It reminded me of my favourite, Cade, when I applied it. The lather felt light and creamy, with a nice amount of glide, but some definite "feedback" from the razor.
Two things I noticed immediately after my shave:
My face feels amazingly hydrated and soft. Wow! This is after a bad bout with MWF, in which I ended up red and puffy, in spots. The Klar actually seems as though it is healing my face up for me, and I'm just plain happy about it.
The other thing I noticed, right off the bat and even more when I had finished shaving is that the scent is freakin' beautiful! I guess it's a floral scent, bur it manages to still be masculine. I'm not sure how, but they really nailed it!
All in all, I see this hanging alongside Cade, on my counter, giving me beautiful shaves for a very long time!

This is the best soap I have tried....I love it. I dont chop it, I just rub the bar on a cheese grator and mash it down into a bowl. Then just wet it a little and sit over night.

Last edited:
Top Bottom