What's new

King C. Gillette Signature Single Ring - grail find - picture heavy

Yes, my friends, there are still deals to be found on the 'Bay! I was perusing the 'Bay the week before last, looking for anything that caught my eye. I usually pass right by Single Rings, as I have quite a few in my collection, but this particular listing only had two pictures and I couldn't resist a closer look. In the second picture, I saw what I believed to the King C. Gillette signature on the underside of the baseplate even though the patina was heavy. As such, I threw a bid at it as it had just been listed. Watching it for the next few days, there were only a few other bids made. Prior to the end of the auction, I placed one final bid and ended up being the winner for the princely sum of $11 and change!

Well, the razor arrived yesterday and, lo and behold, my eyes hadn't deceived me. In my hands, I held one of my grail razors. A 1908 (Serial #A389558) King C. Gillette Signature Single Ring! The razor is in very good shape with a few slightly bent teeth and a small hairline crack in the handle. Not bad for 111 years old! To say I'm stoked is putting it mildly.

Now, the question I pose to you all...........

Should I clean/polish it or leave the patina? I usually clean/polish but I'd like some input before I go for it on this one.
DSC_0001 (2).JPG
DSC_0002 (2).JPG
DSC_0004 (2).JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0010 (2).JPG

I guess you have enough razors already and don't want to shave with it. So I would keept it as it is.

What is the meaning of that signature there?

Yes, my friends, there are still deals to be found on the 'Bay! I was perusing the 'Bay the week before last, looking for anything that caught my eye. I usually pass right by Single Rings, as I have quite a few in my collection, but this particular listing only had two pictures and I couldn't resist a closer look. In the second picture, I saw what I believed to the King C. Gillette signature on the underside of the baseplate even though the patina was heavy. As such, I threw a bid at it as it had just been listed. Watching it for the next few days, there were only a few other bids made. Prior to the end of the auction, I placed one final bid and ended up being the winner for the princely sum of $11 and change!

Well, the razor arrived yesterday and, lo and behold, my eyes hadn't deceived me. In my hands, I held one of my grail razors. A 1908 (Serial #A389558) King C. Gillette Signature Single Ring! The razor is in very good shape with a few slightly bent teeth and a small hairline crack in the handle. Not bad for 111 years old! To say I'm stoked is putting it mildly.

Now, the question I pose to you all...........

Should I clean/polish it or leave the patina? I usually clean/polish but I'd like some input before I go for it on this one.
View attachment 1039647View attachment 1039648View attachment 1039650View attachment 1039651View attachment 1039652View attachment 1039654View attachment 1039655

Wow congrats. Gives me hope "they are out there".

I would get rid of all the old gunk and clean and polish it mildly. Some metal patina should be left.
Then have a look at it and decide what to do next if any.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I've found a few really nice single rings on the 'bay. One gold and one nickel (but maybe silver, it was black when I got it). Although I've never seen one with the Gillette signature, that is really cool...excellent find.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Personally, I'd clean it well and use it as is then decide from there.

It would be nice to have it fully restored but then it will take another 100 years to develop its character again.

One gold and one nickel (but maybe silver, it was black when I got it).

I think they were originally Silver. Silver tarnishes black.

First, CONGRATULATIONS!! Great acquisition!! :a14: :a14:

My response would be to decide whether this was for the collection or to be used. Leave the patina if if is a collector. I would clean it gently if it was a user.

R

romsitsa

I guess you have enough razors already and don't want to shave with it. So I would keept it as it is.

What is the meaning of that signature there?

An early trade mark variant, before they settled with the diamond.
If no one noticed, someone altered the comb (like the patent drawing or the first prototype) this is, imho, even better than the signature.

Adam

An early trade mark variant, before they settled with the diamond.
If no one noticed, someone altered the comb (like the patent drawing or the first prototype) this is, imho, even better than the signature.

Adam
By alter, are you referring to the groove in the teeth? If so, I hadn't noticed that but you are correct. It doesn't match the typical smooth teeth of a single ring! Good eye you have! Wonder who or why? Factory? It's uniform and matches the patina so I'm assuming it came that way or was done very early on. Interesting!

R

romsitsa

Yes, the “fulcrum shoulder”, only patented with the New improved, but visible on the 1901 proto. I suspect it made the razor less prone to clogging, but the teeth become very thin, and bends after drops were already problem with the factory thickness.
I don’t think it left Boston that way as the groove has no plating. It was most likely done by its owner with a thin round file.

Adam

Hi Scott,

Man, what a sweeet find! Personally, I would "lightly clean/polish" and use. I recently found and purchased a 1907 (if memory serves) Gillette BULLDOG. It was somewhat neglected but, a little TLC and Elbow Grease made it look very nice imho. I left a good bit of patina. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your awesome find.
1575237726889.png

SixCats!

Wow. Clean it. Wow. Keep the patina. Wow. I'd shave with it at least once a week. Just wow. Natural patina has an almost iridescent characteristic that is quite difficult to recreate. Keep it in it's current state, yet clean, is my vote.

Top Bottom