What's new

King C Gillette razor $12 on Amazon

Was gonna get this for a replacement top cap and base plate for a current one I won while back to bad Walgreens doesn't price match Amazon I'd would pick one up today

For decades, Gillette has been selling razors at a loss in order to get people to purchase blades, which is where their profits lie. This is the same strategy used by many other companies whose products need consumables; Keurig coffee makers and HP printers are other examples. With cartridge razors, Gillette designed the razors so that only their brand of cartridge would fit. With DE razors, blades are standardized, so you can use any DE blade you want in a King C Gillette razor. If people like the blades (and many people do), they may continue to purchase the blades at $6.00 for ten blades, which is highly profitable. When purchased in bulk, even the most expensive Gillette blades (7 O'Clock Super Platinum black) sell for less than half the price of the King C Gillette blades per blade. Most of the other Gillette blades sell for less than a quarter the price. If Gillette can get Amazon customers to purchase ten-packs of the King C Gillette blades regularly, they will more than cover any loss they might suffer on the razor promotion.

Mine arrived today, will be using it in the morning. Didn't need it, wasn't thinking of getting one, but $12 is too good to pass up.
If you had set up a Subscribe and Save you could have gotten an even better deal. Get one razor then cancel the S&S. I thought about picking up a few to PIF, but I got over that idea.

Reactions: tm3
Mine arrived today, will be using it in the morning. Didn't need it, wasn't thinking of getting one, but $12 is too good to pass up.

I just ordered one, too. Like you, I didn't need it, but the price is the cheapest I've seen it and is too good to pass up. Even if I don't like it enough to use regularly, I figured I can hang onto it in case a friend is ever interested in DE shaving, or perhaps a future PIF.

The price sure jumps around a lot on these. I almost ordered one back around Christmas when it was $14, then it jumped up to about $17, then up to $25, and now it's back down again.

I used the razor this morning along with one of the 5 blades that came with it. The razor is ok, quite mild, but maybe not quite as mild as my Jagger DE89. It does have a good heft to it. I did not really care for the blade though. I would rate the blades about 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

While I find my EJ89 too mild and just use it occasionally but only for 1 day growths, I'm tempted to get this at the $12 price. The only thing that worries me about Amazon is whether these are returns.

Mine had the factory tape on both sides of the end flap of the box. All appeared brand new.

Thanks for replying with that information. It's a bit reassuring, but in this day and age, I'd like to see everything factory sealed. My policy is that I soak even new razors in Barbicide before using them. I've bought fragrances from direct from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon)that were cellophane sealed and obviously used before based on bottle scratches and worn box flaps.

I've checked and so far I've found the Amazons 3rd party resellers who are selling the King C. Gillette don't seem to have their inventory with Amazon. I try to avoid buying from Amazon direct when they maintain inventory of the same product for their 3rd party sellers (sold by XXXX and shipped by Amazon). There's no guarantee warehouse personnel will select and box the product that was purchased by Amazon buyers rather than the shlock flea market stuff sent to their warehouse on consignment by the 3rd party sellers.

Thanks for replying with that information. It's a bit reassuring, but in this day and age, I'd like to see everything factory sealed. My policy is that I soak even new razors in Barbicide before using them. I've bought fragrances from direct from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon)that were cellophane sealed and obviously used before based on bottle scratches and worn box flaps.

I've checked and so far I've found the Amazons 3rd party resellers who are selling the King C. Gillette don't seem to have their inventory with Amazon. I try to avoid buying from Amazon direct when they maintain inventory of the same product for their 3rd party sellers (sold by XXXX and shipped by Amazon). There's no guarantee warehouse personnel will select and box the product that was purchased by Amazon buyers rather than the shlock flea market stuff sent to their warehouse on consignment by the 3rd party sellers.

I've had that happen before as well, even had the wrong part in the correct (obviously opened) box one time. The box for this razor has a round clear tape on both sides, here's a picture of mine after I cut it open.
20220110_093556.jpg

I've had that happen before as well, even had the wrong part in the correct (obviously opened) box one time. The box for this razor has a round clear tape on both sides, here's a picture of mine after I cut it open.

Is that torn cardboard under the seal (where I placed the white circle)?

1641838409169.png

If you had set up a Subscribe and Save you could have gotten an even better deal. Get one razor then cancel the S&S. I thought about picking up a few to PIF, but I got over that idea.
What exactly is the timing on cancelling? I read the fine print on "S&S" and it said something to the effect that the discount would be taken back if the subscription is cancelled. Do you have to take one subscription order in addition to the original order, and then cancel?

What exactly is the timing on cancelling? I read the fine print on "S&S" and it said something to the effect that the discount would be taken back if the subscription is cancelled. Do you have to take one subscription order in addition to the original order, and then cancel?
I’ve always done it shortly after receiving the original shipment. You could even wait a couple months to cancel if you wanted to be extra cautious, just set the reorder time as far out as it will go (which is 6 months a lot of the time), and you’ll have plenty of time to cancel it.

When I read Amazon's stuff the one thing that stands out was, "Your subscription continues until canceled. You can cancel at any time via the Your Subscribe & Save items page in Your Account."

So think about this. If someone bought one of these razors with the honest thought of buy additional razors and sets up a S&S schedule. After the initial purchase that person decided the razor wasn't for them. They should be able to cancel without any repercussions. I'm sure I'm not the first person who thought about setting up a S&S to get a deal on a single purchase and then cancel. Amazon surely has thought about that too. Amazon offering S&S for a durable item seems like the wrong thing to do on their part.

Thanks! I saw the "cancel at any time" and that seems clear. What is confusing is this statement in their fine print: If you later modify or cancel the subscription or delivery date for the qualifying item, the discount will not apply.

I've come across this before and have been confused. I went ahead and ordered the King, set 6 months, and shall see what happens when I cancel. It will be a good acid test for other S&S stuff.

Thanks for posting the info! This will be a good travel razor or maybe a gift razor -- the price is certainly right even at $12.

Thanks! I saw the "cancel at any time" and that seems clear. What is confusing is this statement in their fine print: If you later modify or cancel the subscription or delivery date for the qualifying item, the discount will not apply.

I've come across this before and have been confused. I went ahead and ordered the King, set 6 months, and shall see what happens when I cancel. It will be a good acid test for other S&S stuff.

Thanks for posting the info! This will be a good travel razor or maybe a gift razor -- the price is certainly right even at $12.
I think that line might reference their tiered/stacking S&S policy, where it seems like you can get bigger discounts the more subscriptions you have. I’ve noticed them list things saying that you get larger discounts once you have a certain number of subscriptions (4 if I remember right?), so maybe they’re trying to “warn” you that those additional discounts could go away if you cancel one.

Top Bottom