What's new

King C Gillette first use this morning

I picked up a King C Gillette on sale a few months ago, but I haven't used it until today. Most of my DE experience has been with a couple of EJ's. I've always found the EJ's to be fairly harsh and not very efficient, so I was largely expecting much of the same with the King C.

Well, what's my innitial opinion of the King C you ask? This thing is great! I used an Astra SP (second use) and TOBS Grapefruit, and tested it out on three days of growth. I found the King C to be quite gentle on my sensitive skin, with little to none of the harshnish I get with the EJ's, yet it took down my growth quite easily. I got a very easy BBS with two passes. Even on my neck, I had no cuts or weepers (just a spot of irritation by my adams apple, but I'll overlook that considering). I didn't even get any cuts or snags along my jawline. I don't want to jump the gun with my opinion, but the King C was just a great mix of gentle, yet efficient for me. I would go as far as saying this was my best DE shave to date.

Having said all that, I didn't think I would have any issues with the handle, but it proved to be far too slippery and hard to hold onto with wet fingers. I was constantly drying both my fingers and the handle with a towel, but it wasn't enough. The grip on the handle just isn't there for me. Next time I use the King C I'll be putting one of my Razorock handles on it.

Guys, this was just such a surprise for me. I've talked about my struggles with DE shaving on here over the years, yet I've persisted hoping I could find something. This was just such a pleasant shave for me. I almost forgot to mention that a little splash of Clubman after resulted in almost no tingle at all, even with a BBS shave.

So, dare I even ask what a higher end razor is that shaves the same as the King C? My next DE shave might not be until next week sometime; I'll see how it performs then.

A trick you can do with a slippery handle is to just wrap a rubber band around the handle and although it's unsightly and tacky :letterk1: it gives really good grip. Or I have some electrical shrink sleeve that fits over a handle and gives nice grip and a rubbery, black look handle. Or you can dip the handle in plastic-dip.

The KCG was an awesome introductory razor for me. Super smooth, comfortable, and easy to use. I eventually wanted more efficiency and moved on to the Rockwell 6C and then later to the RazoRock Game Changer and Lupo lines, but I'll still use the KCG to change things up or if I just want a milder shave. Of the other razors in my collection (Rockwell plates 1-6; Game Changer .68OC, .76SB, .84SB; Lupo .58SB, .95OC, Aluminum) the Lupo .58SB is probably my closest comparison to the KCG in terms of smooth easiness. Despite the other options I have, the KCG is still a very enjoy shave. The handle is on the slippery side but it wasn't really a problem for me at any point, that said I will likely pair it with one of my RazoRock handles since I have the option to.

KCG was also my first DE razor and I quickly "grew out" of it being so mild. I even contemplated to PIF it off and then on a whim a few months ago I picked it back up and I was getting amazing shaves with it. What changed? I did! My technique had improved so that I could use even razors that are on the milder spectrum and still get great shaves. I used my KCG last night and I had a great shave and now I will keep it as part of my rotation.

A trick you can do with a slippery handle is to just wrap a rubber band around the handle and although it's unsightly and tacky :letterk1: it gives really good grip. Or I have some electrical shrink sleeve that fits over a handle and gives nice grip and a rubbery, black look handle. Or you can dip the handle in plastic-dip.
Rubbing an alum block on your fingers is an option. Deodorant stick would work as well.

What do you use now may I ask? And is it much better than the KCG?

I went on a must buy every razor spree the last year.

The last few months it was mostly the Muhle R41 or EJ DE89
Recently bought Henson AL13 Mild & Aggressive which are my go to razors now.
I much prefer the Henson to KCG - although the KCG is a nice solid mild razor i think the Henson is a definite step up - for me anyway.
As always YMMV
I will go back to it in rotation

I went on a must buy every razor spree the last year.

The last few months it was mostly the Muhle R41 or EJ DE89
Recently bought Henson AL13 Mild & Aggressive which are my go to razors now.
I much prefer the Henson to KCG - although the KCG is a nice solid mild razor i think the Henson is a definite step up - for me anyway.
As always YMMV
I will go back to it in rotation
Do you like the Henson mild or aggressive better?

Do you like the Henson mild or aggressive better?

Well only used the Aggressive once so far and the mild a few times so unfair to say.

The mild has been excellent as i head & face shave.

The aggressive was excellent but i did get quite a bit of irritation - but i blame my technique not the razor or blade.
As i become used to the aggressive for face shaves and the mild for head shaves the aggressive i think/know will be a great shaver.

@NorthernBoy , The KCG is an excellent mild razor that can regularly deliver BBS shaves with the right technique. I'm glad I have one. It's almost impossible to nick yourself with this razor. Given how it works I agree with @blade08 that there is no need for you to move to another razor.

Top Bottom