What's new

Key Rings?

What kind of key rings do you use to organize your keys but keep them less bulky. I hate having bulky keys because they are uncomfortable to keep in your pocket.

I also just use a plain key ring with no ornamentation for my house and office keys. It's just a 1" diameter steel ring of the standard variety. It has 6 keys on it, one of which (now that I look at it) I have no idea about, so I guess it will be down to 5 keys. :blush:

My automobile is "keyless", and I keep the activator separately in my pocket.

Good luck!

Right now I keep my keys on a standard ring that sits on a metal carabiner type clip. Unfortunately I'm feeling like a janitor with my keys right now: 1 for home, 2 for the office, 1 for the safe in my car, 1 for my car, a remote for my car, and 1 of those monster key + remote things for my wife's car.

Same as everyone else. A steel ring with my apartment key and the garage key. I also have an Inka pen. It's great to always have a pen on me, especially when I need to sign something and people can't find one.

I have 4 different key rings. I don't like the bulk in my pocket, and I don't like the additional weight on the ignition of my truck.

Ring 1- I always carry a plain ring with my truck key, a house key, and keyless entry for my truck.

Ring 2- Work truck key, tool box key, and key to office. This key ring never leaves the truck unless I'm in the office or in a store and actually lock the truck (not often).

Ring 3- Church Key Ring. Church van, church bus, main door, door to sound booth, and to van garage.

Ring 4- Various keys including, but not limited to post office box, various master keys (gates and various other uses), parents house and shop keys, keys to things I don't even know about, but will use from time to time. This key ring usually stays in my personal truck cup holder.

I only have three keys on my ring. The problem is that I also carry a fob to lock,unlock/locate my truck. Funny story. Went on a date once and wanted to go with the streamline pants look, so I left the fob at home. When it came time to open the truck door for my date, I discovered there is no lock on the passenger side. Had to go back around, open the truck from the driver side, hit the unlock button and then go around again and open the door for her. So much for chivalry. The next day I noted the rear doors and tailgate have no locks on them either. Who was the genious who came up with this idea? 2005 Ford Explorer.

Plain Steel Ring with office keys, thumb drive, and bottle opener.

Car keys go on a ring attached to an "ID Wallet" with the Driver's License. Can't start the car without it.

L

Lo'Tek

I segregate mine because it's not necessary to keep all keys together. This keeps down the clutter and bulk.

- One exclusively for car/truck keys. In right pocket.
- One on a chain for house, etc. in left pocket. It has a duplicate of auto keys, thus I never lock myself out.
- One for jobs/customers/family/etc. which stays in duffle bag that goes everywhere I go.

As I mentioned in the Eccentricities thread - I have to come up with a workable technique/system for everything.

This is what works for me.

I have this key ring from the NY MOMA.

I had a cheap, plastic one that lasted for years. When it broke, I couldn't find one anywhere and I had really liked it. They used to be everywhere, but I couldn't find one. Until that one. I bought 4. Just in case.

The rings can be removed/replaced by pushing a button on the back. So, on vacation, I leave the work keys at home. When I leave the car for service, I just slip off the ring with the car keys. It's really a brilliant little device.

Last edited:
My trick is to use two key rings, Both are simple steel rings with no doodads attached. I put each in a different pocket. One ring is for my car the other for the house. Misc keys (office, etc.) are mostly in the ring with the house key because I don't like lots of keys hanging off of the car key when driving -- they bang around against the steering column.

I have a standard 1" ring. It's got my truck key and keyless remote, house key, office key, a Hooters bottle opener, and a 3" mini maglite flash light.

It's really not quite as bulky as it sounds. I also dont wear tight pants, so I really dont notice them being in my pocket.

L

Lo'Tek

I have this key ring from the NY MOMA.

I had a cheap, plastic one that lasted for years. When it broke, I couldn't find one anywhere and I had really liked it. They used to be everywhere, but I couldn't find one. Until that one. I bought 4. Just in case.

The rings can be removed/replaced by pushing a button on the back. So, on vacation, I leave the work keys at home. When I leave the car for service, I just slip off the ring with the car keys. It's really a brilliant little device.

That thing just looks cool. Where did you find it?

L

Lo'Tek

Oh, never mind. I just followed the link. I didn't see it because I was being mesmerized by the sparkly key ringy.

Ooooooooooo.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Ooooooooooo.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

You know.

I use just a plain old fashioned steel ring. I supply the ornament: my dog's first id tag.

Someone else who does that, my mates think it's really odd I carry my last dogs id tags, but it reminds me of him and keeps him close.... :D

I carry my house keys separate from my car keys that way if my keys go missing, I'll either have a way home or a secure house....

Tom

Top Bottom